• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The media is out of control

Cooky

Veteran Member
London (AFP) - Prince Harry has launched legal action against two British tabloid newspaper publishers, they confirmed Friday, over alleged phone hacking -- just days after he condemned the press for critical coverage of his wife.

Harry, 35, extended his campaign against the tabloids with fresh action after suing another newspaper for alleged invasion of privacy.

Reports said the new claims concerned phone hacking allegations.
Prince Harry sues UK tabloids over 'phone hacking'

I think that the media is out of control, crazy, and needs to be put into check. Any opinions?

London (AFP) - Prince Harry has launched legal action against two British tabloid newspaper publishers, they confirmed Friday, over alleged phone hacking -- just days after he condemned the press for critical coverage of his wife.

Harry, 35, extended his campaign against the tabloids with fresh action after suing another newspaper for alleged invasion of privacy.

I think that the media is out of control, crazy, and needs to be put into check. Any opinions?

Im all for freedom of speach, however, when you give people freedom of speach, there gonna lie, misrepresent, twist, and say all kinds of BS.

So, the key is, how do we keep freedom of speach while at the same time allow people there wrong opinions?

Require them to not misrepresent, lie or twist, but, after they state the facts accurately, they can still state there opinions.

Also, if they are too lazy to state the facts or find them, and they only want to state there opinion, then they should state that everything is just opinion.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Just curious, but if president's have such tight restrictions on who they can talk to, and what they can ask for within so many months of an election cycle, then why does the press get a free pass to ask whoever they want questions?

Or is the press restricted from asking for, and publishing certain types of information?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Basically, it seems like the press has more authority and freedom than the president in regards to collecting information. Is that true?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Just curious, but if president's have such tight restrictions on who they can talk to, and what they can ask for within so many months of an election cycle, then why does the press get a free pass to ask whoever they want questions?

Or is the press restricted from asking for, and publishing certain types of information?
In the US, we have the Constitution which gives press freedom the highest form of freedom.

Slander and other misdeeds can be dealt with in the court.

Othewise, we have no freedom and are no better than Communist China and other dictatorships.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I couldn't agree with you more.

As it has been said, professional journalism is no more. Investigative reporting is out the window.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

When those three cases have been heard, and judgements made, then we'll know more. To sue somebody doesn't mean much until a Judge has judged the case.

The press and media can make mistakes and do bad things which is why we have civil and criminal laws and media controls......... so no need to restrict freedom of reporting.

PureX

Veteran Member
Basically, it seems like the press has more authority and freedom than the president in regards to collecting information. Is that true?
It saddens me that you don't understand why this should be so. The press exists to question authority: to take people in positions of authority to task for the things they say and do. And this is a CRUCIAL function in any healthy society. Whereas the people in positions of authority SHOULD BE scrutinized far more intently than those they are authorized to represent. This, also, is a CRUCIAL function in any healthy society.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It saddens me that you don't understand why this should be so. The press exists to question authority: to take people in positions of authority to task for the things they say and do. And this is a CRUCIAL function in any healthy society. Whereas the people in positions of authority SHOULD BE scrutinized far more intently than those they are authorized to represent. This, also, is a CRUCIAL function in any healthy society.

I think if you offered something more, like WHY I should believe that, instead of just saying it's "crucial" and "should be" -as if it's common sense.

Because if you think about it, the president has no power at all anyway. He couldn't fire Mueller, he can't shut Nancy Peloci up. Really, he can't do anything because of the way the government is already set up.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Because if you think about it, the president has no power at all anyway. He couldn't fire Mueller, he can't shut Nancy Peloci up. Really, he can't do anything because of the way the government is already set up.
Because there is a balance of power. There are three branches in US, justice, legislative, and executive branch, and they were created for checks and balance. The reason was that the founders wanted to avoid a dictatorship or totalitarian system where a single president would have full power.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Because there is a balance of power. There are three branches in US, justice, legislative, and executive branch, and they were created for checks and balance. The reason was that the founders wanted to avoid a dictatorship or totalitarian system where a single president would have full power.

So restricting the president's access to information, but giving full authority to the media prevents totalitarian dictatorship?

...I guess I just don't understand how "gaining information" poses any kind of dictatorial threat. If anything, it hinders his ability to do his job as Commander.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think if you offered something more, like WHY I should believe that, instead of just saying it's "crucial" and "should be" -as if it's common sense.
It IS common sense. Because people commonly do not want their lives to be controlled by liars and criminals. And to try and avoid this outcome, they need an organized and determined entity like the press to take their "leaders" to task on their behalf. How is this not obvious to you???
In the U.S., elected officials are not supposed to have any power. They are supposed to be the servants of the people who elected them. The people are supposed to have all the power. But the system has become horribly corrupted by 'dark money', and our "representatives" are no longer representing the people who elect them. They are representing the wealthy elite that are paying for their elections, and their perks, and millions of dollars in legalized bribery to do their bidding. So that the people have lost control of the government that was supposed to represent them, and are now being ruled and exploited by a criminal elite, instead of being served by a representative government, as was intended.

All the more reason why we need the press to keep exposing this perversion of wealth and power, so that the people can take action against it. And hopefully, someday, take control of their own nation, and their own lives, back from the criminals that have stolen it.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It IS common sense. Because people commonly do not want their lives to be controlled by liars and criminals. And to try and avoid it outcome, they need an organized and determined entity like the press to take their "leaders" to task on their behalf. How is this not obvious to you???

If people don't want their lives to be controlled by liars and criminals, then why would they trust the media, who are liars and criminals? You do realize that FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and all the tabloids and all the infowars style media are ALL entertainment type news sources, right?

...You can't trust them..!

Just look at all the crime in the OP, and all the stupidity with AOC and the baby-eating nonsense. Liars and cheats all of them.

PureX

Veteran Member
If people don't want their lives to be controlled by liars and criminals, then why would they trust the media, who are liars and criminals? You do realize that FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and all the tabloids and all the infowars style media are ALL entertainment type news sources, right?
I agree that greed has infected the media, too. But it has not effected the news media to the extent that it has poisoned and perverted our government. There are still voices in the news that are trying to find and reveal the facts about what our politicians are doing. And there are still civil servants working in the government that are willing to blow the whistle on the liars and criminals that they are being forced to work for. And if you don't understand this, then I don't see how you can trust anyone about anything, ever, including yourself. In which case this whole discussion is pointless, as you can learn nothing at all from it.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I agree that greed has infected the media, too. But it has not effected the news media to the extent that it has poisoned and perverted our government. There are still voices in the news that are trying to find and reveal the facts about what our politicians are doing. And there are still civil servants working in the government that are willing to blow the whistle on the liars and criminals that they are being forced to work for. And if you don't understand this, then I don't see how you can trust anyone about anything, ever, including yourself. In which case this whole discussion is pointless, as you can learn nothing at all from it.

I don't know why liberals are so cold-blooded mean. It's a total turn off.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
So restricting the president's access to information, but giving full authority to the media prevents totalitarian dictatorship?
There are a couple of rights for the people that can't be infringed upon, the right to vote, freedom of speech, and carry arms. All of those are there to give the people power to stand against tyranny. That gives the press certain freedoms, because they are supposed to represent the people's voice and interests. The president can absolutely know things and get information, but it's a matter of him/her using proper channels to avoid conflicts of interest. When a president meddles with the people's right to have a fair vote, he's stepping out of bounds and take away the rights of the people.

...I guess I just don't understand how "gaining information" poses any kind of dictatorial threat. If anything, it hinders his ability to do his job as Commander.
He wasn't gaining information. He was asking a foreign country to investigate, which is the purpose of a bunch of internal agencies to do. He prefer Ukraine's justice system over our own.

Cooky

Veteran Member
We're growing very weary of all the stubborn idiocy. Sorry if that offends your delicate conservative sensibilities, but at some point you people need to wake the ____ up!

Geeze.

...It's not like anger is going to make things better.