• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mechanics of Death

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As all the other science are beginning to tell us (quantum uncertainty, the Aspect proof of communication faster than the speed of light, etc.) the physical world is a sham, a facade, fakery (John 6:63), such that we can only shed tears of concern for those who have sold their soul to a physical god, a physical reality, or their own physicality, ignorant and ignoring the meontological reality that guarantees everlasting, and real, conscious, self-conscious, stable consciousness, life, forever and ever Amen.
Well, you are guided by Bible, I take recourse to science, which tells me that life on earth will not last more than a billion years when the sun, turning into a red dwarf, will heat the earth so much that all water will evaporate and any kind of life will be impossible.

As for equilibrium, according to Hindu scriptures, it takes 317 trillion years. Science also says something like that. It will be hell of a long time before we are anywhere near equilibrium.

However, in Advaita Hinduism, the belief I follow, it makes no difference at all. Even in heat death, 'what exists' (Brahman) will continue to exist. Only that it will exist in an enormously expanded universe. Of course, what we perceive is only a sham, 'maya', illusion.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
One possibility is regarding suicide. I hope this isn't the case but it is a possibility I've read. The possibility is that after the person commits suicide the soul relives the suicide over and over again. I do not subscribe nor dont subscribe to the belief. Merely note it as a possibility. I hope it isnt the case. If someone dies from suicide my hope is that they are able to rest and finally find peace.

I recall however there being a term for an soul that stays reliving their death stuck on earth due to a violent death which is where that possibility comes from. I dont remember what it was or if the imprint could ever break from reliving it @Sgt. Pepper might.

The human spirits that are stuck in the physical world or refuse to cross over into the spirit world are called earthbound spirits.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does your faith or belief system teach about the mechanics of death? Is there an angel of death? Is the soul estinguished or somehow removed from the body? Is there an inner light that expires? Is there perhaps "the kiss of death"? Are there ways to avoid or postpone death? Any other details are greatly appreciated.

This is in religious Q&A; So no debate. Hopefully there will be good diversity in the replies.

Thank you,

In the Baha'i Faith our material death is a transition from one state into another state of being. This world is a matrix for the realisation and development of our spiritual capacity.

We one and all are born from this matrix into the next reality upon our physical death. The soul no longer returns to this matrix.

As such, the development of our spiritual capacity is required in this matrix and this is where Jesus the Christ offered we must be born again, born from our material selves into the Holy Spirit that is of God.

Big topic, but a great one. Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In these words the Apostle sets forth a most apt antithesis (in four ways): first, he who is justified by faith has peace with God, but tribulation in the world, because his life is spiritual. Secondly, the unrighteous have peace with the world, but anguish and tribulation with God, because their life is carnal. Thirdly, as God the Holy Spirit is eternal, so also the peace of the righteous and the tribulation of the unrighteous will be everlasting. Lastly, as flesh is temporal, so also the tribulation of the righteous and the peace of the unrighteous will be temporary.

Martin Luther, Commentary on Romans, p. 89.

The concept in the Baha'i Faith is that the Holy Spirit is of God and this is the Station of the Messengers.

To accept one Messenger is to accept them all and that is to be born again.

To reject any God given Messenger, is rejection of them all.

So to be justified in faith now takes on a true challenge in the Oneness of God, not in the acceptance of only one of the Messengers.

Regards Tony

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To accept one Messenger is to accept them all and that is to be born again.
To reject any God given Messenger, is rejection of them all.
The real problem is about how to find who is the real messenger and who is a fake. Bahais do not accept Joseph Smith or Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, but will like LDS and Ahmadiyyas to accept Bahaollah.
Unfortunately, God (in case such an entity exists) does not give any indication and leaves it to our meager intelligence.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The real problem is about how to find who is the real messenger and who is a fake. Bahais do not accept Joseph Smith or Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, but will like LDS and Ahmadiyyas to accept Bahaollah.
Unfortunately, God (in case such an entity exists) does not give any indication and leaves it to our meager intelligence.

Yes indeed, that is a challenge we have been given.

Makes for lively discussions!

Regards Tony

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
The human spirits that are stuck in the physical world or refuse to cross over into the spirit world are called earthbound spirits.
Oh i know that. I'm talking about i think there's a term for an earthbound spirit that's stuck in a loop reliving their final moments because their death was traumatic. I remember reading something about it and I can't remember what's that called. I also can't remember if theres a way to break them out of said loop.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If one isn't conscious, one hasn't anything, unless such a state changes. But then I don't accept the soul or similar as having any relevance to humans - unlike yourself perhaps. I know that the brain functions even when we are not conscious, but death will be the same as being unconscious - that is, no recovery from such.
The brain doesn't create electromagnetic fields. It only transforms and transfers them. Consciousness is based on the process of transforming and transferring.

The brain doesn't create consciousness. It only transceives. It's an organic antenna.

John D. Brey

If God exists in a theistic sense, then his existence likely transcends our "meager intelligence" to something like an infinite degree. Ergo, if he were to desire our company, or even that we know him, he would likely have to give some part of his very soul to us freely (since we couldn't earn so great a prize), that what he gives to us, as part of our natural human accouterments, would firstly, be of his substance, and secondly, recognize itself in him.

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten son of God.

John 3:18.
If the human soul is given by God, and is a part of God's own soul, then it recognizes its other part. If it rejects its other part, then it's condemned already, of its own freewill, since it rejects the natural correspondence between itself, and its source.

Every man is a real message and messenger from God until he rejects himself. Once he rejects himself he will usually seek a religious placebo to fill the void of what he lost: himself.

John

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Oh i know that. I'm talking about i think there's a term for an earthbound spirit that's stuck in a loop reliving their final moments because their death was traumatic. I remember reading something about it and I can't remember what's that called. I also can't remember if theres a way to break them out of said loop.

A residual haunting.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the human soul is given by God, and is a part of God's own soul, then it recognizes its other part. If it rejects its other part, then it's condemned already, of its own freewill, since it rejects the natural correspondence between itself, and its source.

Every man is a real message and messenger from God until he rejects himself. Once he rejects himself he will usually seek a religious placebo to fill the void of what he lost: himself.

What is worth considering here in relation to this OP is that Man is not part of that Soul (Holy Spirt), but man is made in the Image, meaning we have the potential.

Jesus the Christ offered what we must do to become part of that Soul, so death does not overcome us. What was offered is that we must be born again, born from the human condition into the Holy Spirit. It was Jesus that was Annointed of (Born of) the Holy Spirit, not us humans. That is why Jesus is the 'Christ' just as Peter confirmed.

We need to be born from the human spirit into that Holy Spirit and that is the Spirit of the Messengers.

So death and life, according to scripture is our conscious reality and if we are born again, the first death is not able to overcome that conscious reality.

Regards Tony

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What does your faith or belief system teach about the mechanics of death? Is there an angel of death? Is the soul estinguished or somehow removed from the body? Is there an inner light that expires? Is there perhaps "the kiss of death"? Are there ways to avoid or postpone death? Any other details are greatly appreciated.............................,

Yes, one can postpone death in that one can act wisely and Not die before your time as Ecclesiastes 7:17 says.
I find No inner light that expires but as Ecclesiastes 12:7 B says one's spirit (it) returns to God.
I suppose one could say at death it's 'light's out' like a burned-out light bulb suddenly goes out.
"It" (one's spirit) returns in the sense that a foreclosed house returns to the owner.
The house does Not move or go anywhere but any future now lies in the owner's hands.
So, any later on future life (resurrection Acts 24:15) now lies in God's safe hands.

Since all of Adam was a living soul (Genesis 2:7) thus at death all of Adam 'returned' to dust - Genesis 3:19
Adam went from non-life, to life and 'returned' back to non-life.
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before.

As far as the mechanics of death = death is the opposite of life.
At death a person knows nothing as per Ecclesiastes 9:5
Knows nothing but 'sleep' an unconscious sleep-like state - Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18
ALL the faithful men of old (Hebrew Scriptures) listed in Hebrews chapter 11 are still asleep awaiting the fulfillment of the promise, the resurrection promise through the promised Messiah.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
John 11:26. John

As John 11:26 and John 8:51 mentions about never to see death at all.
Jesus knew he would see death, so Jesus was stressing future everlasting life because of the resurrection(Acts 24:15)
Jesus knew his disciples would die - John 21:16-23
Faithful ones would never see death as in facing 'permanent death' as found at Jeremiah 51:39; Jeremiah 51:57
We all can choose to 'repent' so as Not to 'perish' (be destroyed - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22)
Not to end up in that symbolic 'second death' (destroyed forever) as mentioned in Revelation.
I do find at Jesus soon coming Glory Time found at Matthew 25:31-34,37 that the figurative living 'sheep' are found alive on Earth and they can continue to live on Earth and be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus coming 1,000 year reign over Earth. The 'sheep' can gain everlasting life on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.
I wonder if Jesus' calendar Day One will be by the using the old Hebrew calendar year _______