• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Meaning of Life?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
A common question asked is, 'what is the meaning of life?'. Answers vary based upon personal and/or religious philosophies. But to me, as a Deist, this is not a valid question, but rather part of the answer to an even bigger question.
What is the meaning of the existence of the universe? For what purpose did the First Cause cause the universe to begin?
While it would be presumptuous to say for certain what that reason may be, or even if a reason is needed, I can offer my own philosophy.

The purpose of the universe, or the answer to the simple question of 'why?', is life.
Every burning star, every stellar event contributes to the basic necessities of life somewhere in the universe.
Here on Earth, teeming with life, we are but one of billions of potentially life supporting planets. I am not just talking about higher thinking life forms, or sentient beings such as homo sapiens. I am talking about everything from the smallest microbe to the most complex of living creatures. Life in all its myriad forms.
As harsh and unforgiving as our universe seems to be, life, here on Earth and more than likely elsewhere, thrives. It struggles, evolves, finds a nitch, extinguishes to give way for better forms, and potentially destroys itself. But life in some form continues.

Life is it's own meaning, it needs no other reason.

Tumbleweed

Beyondo

A common question asked is, 'what is the meaning of life?'. Answers vary based upon personal and/or religious philosophies. But to me, as a Deist, this is not a valid question, but rather part of the answer to an even bigger question.
What is the meaning of the existence of the universe? For what purpose did the First Cause cause the universe to begin?
While it would be presumptuous to say for certain what that reason may be, or even if a reason is needed, I can offer my own philosophy.

The purpose of the universe, or the answer to the simple question of 'why?', is life.
Every burning star, every stellar event contributes to the basic necessities of life somewhere in the universe.
Here on Earth, teeming with life, we are but one of billions of potentially life supporting planets. I am not just talking about higher thinking life forms, or sentient beings such as homo sapiens. I am talking about everything from the smallest microbe to the most complex of living creatures. Life in all its myriad forms.
As harsh and unforgiving as our universe seems to be, life, here on Earth and more than likely elsewhere, thrives. It struggles, evolves, finds a nitch, extinguishes to give way for better forms, and potentially destroys itself. But life in some form continues.

Tumbleweed

Actually life dares, as futile as it may be, to challenge entropy, it is the rebellious angel Lucifer, therefore living and evolving is blasphemous...

Last edited:

horiturk

Assyrian Devil
i don't think life needs an overall meaning,and i''m comfortable with that even if i might be a bit disappointed :) but i think we give our own lives meaning and i think that's good enough

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I've never really been the kind of person to question life and and its meaning. It just is, thinking about it won't change it. All I know is that good things happen, and bad things happen. I want to just live the best that I can and enjoy it!

ellenjanuary

Actually life dares, as futile as it may be, to challenge entropy, it is the rebellious angel Lucifer, therefore living and evolving is blasphemous...
No. :D

The purpose of life is to balance entropy, for there is tao. The meaning of life is not to answer, but to ask, the question. I live to love my Gwynnies; but to find meaningful expression in such existence, I seek a unified hypothesis of god, evolution, and mathematics.

Today. Tomorrow I will ask anew.

David Grinshaw

I just read an amazing book about the meaning of life and how it effected my life. It was written by a guy called Sylibb tata who writes as he hears Gods voice. i will paste the review i wrote for the book. i hope others read it and post there opinion.

My name is David. I was an average man living an average life. Not a bad life, not a pointless life, not an unhappy life but measured by the yard stick of society I slotted somewhere in the middle. I had a secure job and made fairly decent money, enough for a new car, payments on my own house and I was comfortable. I could afford the debt that many of my friends couldn’t.
I lived a good life. I was fit and healthy spending much time in the Gym. I had a girlfriend who was beautiful and also had a good job a nice car and a Gymtastic body. According to the construct of society I had it all going on. I worked hard to rise to where I was and had the intention to continue to rise. I loved my car, I loved my house, I loved my body, I loved my neat, trimmed well defined upwardly mobile persona, I even loved my girlfriend. Everything was going according to plan. I should have been one of the happiest guys in the world but I wasn’t. There was no dark hidden secret, no long held bitterness or regret. I was bored, very, very bored. Extremely bored, desperately bored. Everything that i thought would enrich my life, didn’t. The life i was building felt like a hole i was digging.
People were looking at my life with envy, but if they only knew how empty i felt they would soon stop. There was something i was not getting. I must have missed something. I was working towards everything that i thought was important but as I acquired these things I just felt the hollowness within me expand. Each achievement was just another trophy of stupidity. Something that thought would build my life but just made the hole I was digging deeper.
I had to stop my self pity and my analytical obsession. I had a good life. Go for a drive in my nice car, take my sexy looking girlfriend out and show the world how awesome I must be to own a female body like that, then have sex with her with the ego building thoughts of how many guys wanted to have sex with her that night but it was me doing it. Yeah i am banging the hottie, i’ve got the pecs and the abbs and the tiny little body fat percentage that belong on a mens health magazine cover. I just had to keep busy, no time to think means, i wont think and that gnawing, nagging, persistent dissatisfaction will just wear out in time. Surely.
You hear of life changing experiences. Something of the magnitude that defines a time line for the rest of life. Oldies used to refer to things as being, before or after the war. I heard a man who referred to things as being, before or after his accident. An advent so powerful the it redefines a persons life for evermore. It changes things irrevocably. Nothing will ever be the same again.
It happened to me.
Not a car accident, not a near death experience, not the loss of a dearly loved life companion. It was not any of these things but had an effect on me that nothing else could. It stopped my life in its track. Everything was different and nothing would ever be the same again. It was as if a nuclear bomb had exploded within me. It blew me apart. It blew away my vision and my knowledge, my perception of the world and my place in it. It blew away my ignorance. Nothing would ever be the same. I now speak in the chronology of before and after I read that letter.
Finally it all made sense. Everything made sense. My dissatisfaction with life did not mean that i was a self obsessed, ungrateful, spoiled brat. It meant i was looking for something deeper, something real, something everlasting. And i found it. And it changed me deeply, the very core of my existence. It filled the hole, it gave me truth. I want everyone in the world to read this letter. It is not just written to me but to all of humanity. And i want all of humanity to read it. Not all of humanity will see what I have seen or experience all what I have experienced. But some will and those who do will know the joy that I feel, the purpose that I live by, the freedom that I enjoy, the certainty that I cherish. The average lifespan is 613608 hours, I hope everyone uses a mere ten of these hours to give themself the opportunity to read this letter and see what it does for them. There is even a free evaluation ebook if you google sylibb tata the letter, i am sure you will find it.
Thanks for your time and all the best for your life,
David Grinshaw

HOW ABOUT FIRST THE PURPOSE OF THE SOUL
OR WHAT IS THE SOUL ...
WELL THERE ARE SAID TO BE
different kinds of souls
and one that is the highest of all creation.. the eternal individual soul
and the purpose of that soul
is said by edgar cayce to be
to know itself as an eternal entity capable of beint attuned [at one] with the whole
but yet not being the whole...

NOW IN ORDER TO BE ATTUNED
cayce suggested such ways and attitudes
as
considering the needs of others before one's own......

Tumbleweed

You gave your answer to the question you posed, but I am not able to see how you answered it. You commented on life, but gave no "purpose." "Life is its own meaning" doesn't really seem to mean anything.

The way I look at it, the very words "our purpose" infers we are part of the plan of some "spirit. I don't accept that, do you? If there is some "spirit being" up there, all he does is sit there doing nothing---not dictating some "purpose" for us.

But we humans are not adrift as non-theists are prone to think. We humans evolved as small group primates through millions of years of evolution. The only way we could expand from living only in small groups was to develop great ideological world-view systems. They enable us to think alike enough to work together. They do this by providing us with common goals. They also provide us with the common means to achieve the goals (the moral system).

Two thousand years ago, the Christian goals and means were advanced. Now they are obsolete. We need an advanced new goal and means system.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
You gave your answer to the question you posed, but I am not able to see how you answered it. You commented on life, but gave no "purpose." "Life is its own meaning" doesn't really seem to mean anything...
"Life is its own meaning" means their is no set purpose to life. Life simply is, and we each set our own goals.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Each to their own.

My meaning of life is to know and understand the universal truth, I will not die until I KNOW how life got here, what happens after death, etc.

In other words, have an astral projection or a mystical experience.

What is the meaning of your life? You may now know the Mind of God.
The Creator has posted a video on YouTube. The message comes to you directly, without the need for translation, transcription or interpretation by iron-age scribes, or analysis by a philosopher.
The video tells you how you came to be here, outlines the meaning and purpose of your life, and gives you an insight into the future of humankind.
See ' God says sorry '.

The Sum of Awe

Naturally, we have the instinct to survival, thus survival would be the meaning of life; but coming to the realization that we all die anyway, we all went to Hedonism.

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
There is no meaning of life. We are just Survival Machines, robots of our genes that are used to survive.

The Sum of Awe

There is no meaning of life. We are just Survival Machines, robots of our genes that are used to survive.

But really, when we realize that we have a brain, we have a complete complex Neurosystem in there - we think we're something more than that - we transport to hedonism.

But then, when we realize that we ARE the Neurosystem - we break down - we transport to depression.