• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Matrix Trans Aspect

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Amd Swith was originally supposed to be trans but WB apparently stands for Wanker *****es and they changed they changed the character to cis-female.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm trans and this is interesting but I personally don't like to think of that interpretation since it goes so against the interpretation of it I've formed on my own. I don't really like to know what filmmakers and songwriters specifically were trying to say, for the most part.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Amd Swith was originally supposed to be trans but WB apparently stands for Wanker *****es and they changed they changed the character to cis-female.
I really like the symbolism of Switch being a man outside of the Matrix and a woman inside the Matrix. Not only does it have the trans aspect, but it also has the Anima/Animus aspect being the face presented to the inner world, whereas the Persona is the face presented to the outer world.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I really like the symbolism of Switch being a man outside of the Matrix and a woman inside the Matrix. Not only does it have the trans aspect, but it also has the Anima/Animus aspect being the face presented to the inner world, whereas the Persona is the face presented to the outer world.
Yup. It fit perfectly with how GD and gender identity as a larger whole works in how that all works out in the Matrix with the projection of how the mind sees itself and what is seen in the Matrix is the residual self image.

A Vestigial Mote

That is interesting, and it would have worked just fine for an audience who wasn't hung up on their own, personal versions of "how things ought to be." And even given the audience that is stuck in such a way (i.e. the vast majority of real audience of today), it might have given them pause to stop and think... what does it mean to truly love someone? Might the physical realities of gender have less to do with it than many tend to expect? They should have left it, in my opinion. Let people's minds be blown in more ways than one when Neo exited the Matrix.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That is interesting, and it would have worked just fine for an audience who wasn't hung up on their own, personal versions of "how things ought to be." And even given the audience that is stuck in such a way (i.e. the vast majority of real audience of today), it might have given them pause to stop and think... what does it mean to truly love someone? Might the physical realities of gender have less to do with it than many tend to expect? They should have left it, in my opinion. Let people's minds be blown in more ways than one when Neo exited the Matrix.
I think for me, being a teen amd entering highschool when it came out, being able to see a transgender character on anything who wasnt a freak and/or perv (such as Jerry Springer) may have made me feeling less freakish myself onowing there are others like me and it doesn't have to be shameful or embarrassing (or it would have just been terribly evil for affirming such wickedness anyways given my deep religious conservate views then and took issues with the violence, language, and sexuality anyways, so who knows).

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I thought it was a brlliant idea; shame they didn't go with it. Heck, I need to watch it again. (I thought 2 and 3 were just milking it).

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, what do I know? One of my favourite films. When I saw it, it was by the Wachowski brothers.

The Wachowskis are both trans females themselves. So I always just assumed the Matrix is based on their perceptions of who they are and as a metaphor for their own personal journey.