• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The man who was freed of a heavy burden

Mark Dohle

upload_2018-10-21_11-31-28.png

“Believe in the matchless beauty of a humble soul that shows Me its wounds and hopes in Me alone. I clothe it with My merits. How could I ever do otherwise?”

Bossis, Gabrielle. He and I (Kindle Locations 3582-3583).
Pauline Books and Media. Kindle Edition.

One of the most natural things for men, and women, to do, is to without even knowing it is happening, is to hide from themselves. I guess I know this because I do it myself. It is ‘normal’, though not healthy to do so. There is so much in each human being, a whole world, a universe of personal experiences, and as well, how these events were experienced, and interpreted, when very young. Our path, began when we woke up to the suffering in the world around us, as well as within ourselves, the first time we experienced pain, abandonment, or some form of physical, or sexual abuse.

When the inner path is initiated, or perhaps, to put it another way, at the time the spiritual path is commenced in earnest, it is then that the unmasking begins. It can be a very painful process, spanning over many years. Our strengths are used to build up others, while our weaknesses, and yes, our failures, are used by the Lord, to draw us deeper into trust and a holy stubbornness, to continue. Trust, trumps fear every time. The deeper our trust in God’s love, and mercy, the less fear plays a role. Once we understand that we are loved by God, a hard lesson for many, is when we begin to run, yes and trip, on the road to union with the Infinite.

Jesus showed us that it is in serving others that we become great. To seek to understand others, rather than to be understood. To learn to listen, rather than demanding that we be understood, and interpreted correctly. In other words, we slowly begin to understand what living out the ‘golden rule’ is about. Though imperfectly…..there is always room for deeper growth and healing.

Once we become childlike before God, and yes, others, it is then that we experience the reality of what is really important in life. It is often at odds with the overall cultural narrative. It is then that we have something to share with others, and we become open to what others can share with us.

One day, about two years ago, a man asked to see me. He was very professional looking, a no nonsense kind of man, about 50 years old. What he talked about was a change that came over him when he was 40 years old. One day he asked his wife a simple question, in a joking sort of way. The question was: “How am I doing”? He thought that she would respond in the same vein, but instead she said, “Not too good!” She then begin to tell him what kind of a man he was. It was not a pleasant experience for him, but whatever it was that she told him, it started him on a path of self-discovery. Until that point in his life, he told me, he was very self-complacent, though, that insight, only came after his wife’s statement, started him on a long road of learning, to look inward, and to see who he actually was.

He had faith, but it was the sort of faith, that would only flicker into existence on Sunday morning when they went to mass, and once they left, it would return to its ashen state.

When he started to look at what his wife told him, he also found himself praying more for grace to be able to go through it. Over the course of a year, he actually begin to see that he was often overbearing to those at work. Always had to be right, and was capable of bullying others as well. To his shame, he also discovered that he would often take his wife for granted, and more often than not, not considering her needs.

When he opened up his heart to receive these truths about his immaturity, he was amazed that he did not see it earlier. Since he could be overbearing, people were afraid to speak up, so he was never called upon to look at himself. “It was quite a can of worms”, he laughingly told me. Though at the time it was very painful.

“I still have a long way to go, “but my marriage is better, and I get along more smoothly with my co-workers, as well as with my subordinates. All, in all, my life is easier to put up with”.

He talked about how the more he opened up to the truth about himself, the closer the Lord seems to be drawn to him. He could not figure it out. For he always thought that it was important to only put one’s best foot forward. Now he sees that the more he understands himself, the more he can understand others, and get along with them.

His marriage is better than he thought it could ever be. “Just think”, he told me, “I asked my wife in a joking way ‘how I was doing’, and her answer started the first domino of my many denials to fall down”.

As he left he told me that now that he is not so self-protective, he finds others approaching him, and talking to him a ways that he never thought was possible. As he left, I thought, what an amazing story. Not sure many men, or women, for that matter, would make such a journey on such a simple event that he had with his wife. It probably saved his marriage, and who knows, his career.--BrMD

whirlingmerc

View attachment 24892

“Believe in the matchless beauty of a humble soul that shows Me its wounds and hopes in Me alone. I clothe it with My merits. How could I ever do otherwise?”

Bossis, Gabrielle. He and I (Kindle Locations 3582-3583).
Pauline Books and Media. Kindle Edition.

One of the most natural things for men, and women, to do, is to without even knowing it is happening, is to hide from themselves. I guess I know this because I do it myself. It is ‘normal’, though not healthy to do so. There is so much in each human being, a whole world, a universe of personal experiences, and as well, how these events were experienced, and interpreted, when very young. Our path, began when we woke up to the suffering in the world around us, as well as within ourselves, the first time we experienced pain, abandonment, or some form of physical, or sexual abuse.

When the inner path is initiated, or perhaps, to put it another way, at the time the spiritual path is commenced in earnest, it is then that the unmasking begins. It can be a very painful process, spanning over many years. Our strengths are used to build up others, while our weaknesses, and yes, our failures, are used by the Lord, to draw us deeper into trust and a holy stubbornness, to continue. Trust, trumps fear every time. The deeper our trust in God’s love, and mercy, the less fear plays a role. Once we understand that we are loved by God, a hard lesson for many, is when we begin to run, yes and trip, on the road to union with the Infinite.

Jesus showed us that it is in serving others that we become great. To seek to understand others, rather than to be understood. To learn to listen, rather than demanding that we be understood, and interpreted correctly. In other words, we slowly begin to understand what living out the ‘golden rule’ is about. Though imperfectly…..there is always room for deeper growth and healing.

Once we become childlike before God, and yes, others, it is then that we experience the reality of what is really important in life. It is often at odds with the overall cultural narrative. It is then that we have something to share with others, and we become open to what others can share with us.

One day, about two years ago, a man asked to see me. He was very professional looking, a no nonsense kind of man, about 50 years old. What he talked about was a change that came over him when he was 40 years old. One day he asked his wife a simple question, in a joking sort of way. The question was: “How am I doing”? He thought that she would respond in the same vein, but instead she said, “Not too good!” She then begin to tell him what kind of a man he was. It was not a pleasant experience for him, but whatever it was that she told him, it started him on a path of self-discovery. Until that point in his life, he told me, he was very self-complacent, though, that insight, only came after his wife’s statement, started him on a long road of learning, to look inward, and to see who he actually was.

He had faith, but it was the sort of faith, that would only flicker into existence on Sunday morning when they went to mass, and once they left, it would return to its ashen state.

When he started to look at what his wife told him, he also found himself praying more for grace to be able to go through it. Over the course of a year, he actually begin to see that he was often overbearing to those at work. Always had to be right, and was capable of bullying others as well. To his shame, he also discovered that he would often take his wife for granted, and more often than not, not considering her needs.

When he opened up his heart to receive these truths about his immaturity, he was amazed that he did not see it earlier. Since he could be overbearing, people were afraid to speak up, so he was never called upon to look at himself. “It was quite a can of worms”, he laughingly told me. Though at the time it was very painful.

“I still have a long way to go, “but my marriage is better, and I get along more smoothly with my co-workers, as well as with my subordinates. All, in all, my life is easier to put up with”.

He talked about how the more he opened up to the truth about himself, the closer the Lord seems to be drawn to him. He could not figure it out. For he always thought that it was important to only put one’s best foot forward. Now he sees that the more he understands himself, the more he can understand others, and get along with them.

His marriage is better than he thought it could ever be. “Just think”, he told me, “I asked my wife in a joking way ‘how I was doing’, and her answer started the first domino of my many denials to fall down”.

As he left he told me that now that he is not so self-protective, he finds others approaching him, and talking to him a ways that he never thought was possible. As he left, I thought, what an amazing story. Not sure many men, or women, for that matter, would make such a journey on such a simple event that he had with his wife. It probably saved his marriage, and who knows, his career.--BrMD

In Psalm 146 on of the things the God of Jacob does is free the captives and prisoners which is also part of the job description of the Messiah where Jesus in Luke 4 quotes Isaiah 61 for the same sort of things as Psalm 146