• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Male Privilege Checklist

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trying to shame people for the privilege they possess tends to cause resentment, without leading to positive change. The recipient of privilege can no more change their situation than the person who is disadvantaged. It is important to make people aware of social privilege, but I think it is better to have something of a gentle touch, and to focus on the effects of privilege in warping society as a whole. Telling someone to go down a "checklist" of what are essentially grudges, implies that they have personally erred, or that their gender has collectively erred, in stark denial of the fact that we all, communally, create and consent to gender identities and roles (and the reshaping thereof) every day. If you want change, shared goals are better than targeted accusations based on generalities.
Of course, the purpose of exhorting "Check your privilege!" is to educate us clueless privileged
dolts, so that positive change will somehow result. But as you point out, it certainly looks more
like shaming. There's appeal in its being so broad, ie, even if one a paragon of multi-cultural
virtue, one is still tarnished with "privilege" by being white, straight or male.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course, the purpose of exhorting "Check your privilege!" is to educate us clueless privileged
dolts, so that positive change will somehow result. But as you point out, it certainly looks more
like shaming. There's appeal in its being so broad, ie, even if one a paragon of multi-cultural
virtue, one is still tarnished with "privilege" by being white, straight or male.

I never could understand what "check your privilege" is supposed to mean. What is my "privilege" and where would I check it? Is it like checking your coat at a club or a restaurant? What if I check my privilege, but then upon retrieving it, I find that they mixed it up with someone else's privilege instead?

Or maybe it just means that I should check to make sure that my "male privilege" is still there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never could understand what "check your privilege" is supposed to mean. What is my "privilege" and where would I check it? Is it like checking your coat at a club or a restaurant? What if I check my privilege, but then upon retrieving it, I find that they mixed it up with someone else's privilege instead?

Or maybe it just means that I should check to make sure that my "male privilege" is still there.
"Check" could mean to stop/impede.....or to examine......or, as you say, to verify.
Maybe it's more about conveying some feeling, rather than meaning.
And that feeling seems to be some combination of hostility, sanctimony, derision or condescension.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Stereotyping and prejudging used to be things liberals professed to argue against.

Times change, I guess. Or, perhaps, just become more clear.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Stereotyping and prejudging used to be things liberals professed to argue against.
It was never so general. They specifically opposed doing it to victim class
groups, eg, women, minorities. To prejudge based upon whiteness, maleness,
& non-liberalness has always had tacit approval.

Note:
There are, of course, a segment of the liberal community who are actually
liberal in the more classical sense. You'll recognize them by the absense
of cries like "Trumpnazi!", "Basket of deplorables!", "Check your privilege!", etc.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
5. The odds of my encountering sexual harassment on the job are so low as to be negligible.

7. If I’m a teen or adult, and if I can stay out of prison, my odds of being raped are so low as to be negligible.

I don't know. Society does tend to either downplay or even outright mock male victims of sexual harassment and rape. And if the perp is a woman, (especially if they are attractive) their masculinity is most definitely called into question. So the "odds" might be lower but it also might also be very under reported. Even South Park mocked this, when they pointed out that a male student being raped (statutory or otherwise) by a female teacher is often hailed as a "man" and "lucky" which might have rather averse affects on the minor in question. Namely their sexual abuse is not properly addressed or even treated. Which may warp their sense of sexuality and their sex life. Hell even EL James recognized that. I mean it's getting better, but it's still an unfortunate thing that affects both sexes.

10. If I have children but do not provide primary care for them, my masculinity will not be called into question.

Maybe. It depends on your living situation. If you have kids as a man and only see them once a month and don't pay child support, especially if you have many different baby mommas, your masculinity is usually mocked as a result. Deadbeat, loser, man whore are but some of the labels I heard growing up. But if you're a divorcee, who sees them as often as (he) can then people usually attribute that to family court decisions, which many view as sexist (I don't know the stats, so I can't comment either way. Probably isn't.) This may have more to do with people remembering bitter custody battles, if I'm honest. But I dunno.

37. If I have a wife or live-in girlfriend, chances are we'll divide up household chores so that she does most of the labor, and in particular the most repetitive and unrewarding tasks.

Wow, that's sad. Most guys I know would call you a lazy slob for that. I mean what, do you live in the 50s?

21. If I'm careless with my financial affairs it won't be attributed to my sex.

Uhh usually is actually.
Men being rather useless at normal everyday stuff because they're "just dumb guys being dumb guys" is a joke older than my gran. And she died like 40 years ago!

Otherwise. Yeah I guess I agree. I mean I dunno, this oppression Olympics is sort of grating a bit.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Something missing from that list..... its to long so male privilege means I can skim it and claim to have read it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
My favorite privilege is taking responsibility for my own actions and situation and not thinking I'm owed anything. Nothing more liberating than having a free mind. People would be well advised to give it a try.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My favorite privilege is taking responsibility for my own actions and situation and not thinking I'm owed anything. Nothing more liberating than having a free mind. People would be well advised to give it a try.
Rugged individualism is anti-social.
And it's a sign of male privilege....the privilege of not depending upon others.
At this point, someone usually brings up Satan's handmaiden, Ayn Rand.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Male privilages...okie dokie..this pretty much sum it up...and if you don't agre...it means you're not married :D

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be used against PERIOD. You have the right to have an attorney, but it doesn't matter, you are going to lose just the same. If you cannot afford one, big deal, so what, it doesn't matter. With these rights in mind, are you still willing to talk to me about the charges against you....I will just use that against you too.....because you're wrong....and I plan on telling you that you are wrong until death to us part