• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Luciferianism DIR Overview

Does this DIR need a new Overview?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Recently, someone suggested that the overview for this DIR may need to be revised or replaced.

What do you think?

Here's the current overview: http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/overview-of-the-luciferian-path.137876/

Note: this poll is open to people who identify as Luciferiarian only, and to keep everything on the up-and-up votes will be displayed publicly.

Also: this poll thread is in the DIR. If anyone wants to get into a debate about this issue, please use Same Faith Debates: http://www.religiousforums.com/forums/same-faith-debates.63/

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I don't see anything non-Luciferian in the overview. However, the part that says,
The burden of Knowledge of Self is on the Luciferian, as nobody else can every truly understand who you are. Personal experiences, such as mystical experiences, may validate belief for any individual person, but a Luciferian realizes that personal experience is not objectively valid and is not a usable premise in the argument for any objective truth.
should include the need for active "soul searching," or actively searching your unconscious mind for repressed material that needs to be brought into consciousness and consciously and logically examined and resolved. The need for making these connections cannot be overemphasized. (They should be in big blazing letters if possible.) KNOW THYSELF! This "Great Work" constitutes the bulk of Luciferian practice, and without it, it really isn't Luciferianism, imo.

Last edited:

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
However, even if Lucifer is seen as a specific being, worshiping or dedicating yourself to this God is logically not Luciferian in nature, as the path is one of individuality and personal freedom.

I think this excerpt from the "Luciferian overview" should be removed. It seems that whoever put together that description likely equates the word "worship" with subservience or servitude, when all too often such is not the case, especially in polytheistic LHP spiritual-religious systems and various pagan religions.

wor·ship
ˈwərSHəp/
noun
  1. 1.
    the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
    "the worship of God"
    synonyms: reverence, veneration, adoration, glorification, glory, exaltation; etc
verb
  1. 1.
    show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites.
    "the Maya built jungle pyramids to worship their gods"
    synonyms: revere, reverence, venerate, pay homage to, honor, adore, praise, pray to, glorify, exalt, extol; etc

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree with it all except this part:
- While a Luciferian does not necessarily need to be a teacher and share their knowledge, part the the logical criteria is they must be a student and take in knowledge.
Well, I agree with it, but not the wording. You don't have to be a "student" to be actively seeking knowledge. I would just omit it because it's made redundant by this one:

The quest for knowledge is essential to the path. All knowledge that can be gained is good, but the rejection of false knowledge and acceptance of factual knowledge also is important. To believe that the earth is flat despite the objective fact it is not is logically not to commit to knowledge / light-bearing. It should be noted that knowledge includes knowledge of self.
I would also change this one:
- The Luciferian path is primarily Left-Hand Path, and is open to all magic(k), occultism, etc etc etc. It is an individualistic path, and there is nothing a Luciferian must do or is not allowed to do. The "criteria" for the title is simply logical.
If you take in "all the occult," you tend to end up with pseudoscience junk and hocus-pocus nonsense that goes against the previously mentioned rejection of false knowledge. I don't have any suggestions as of now, but a good chunk of that does not belong.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If you take in "all the occult," you tend to end up with pseudoscience junk and hocus-pocus nonsense that goes against the previously mentioned rejection of false knowledge. I don't have any suggestions as of now, but a good chunk of that does not belong.
I agree with Shadow Wolf here. The practices need to be related to "shining the light into the darkness," which means accessing content from your dark (unconscious) mind and shining a light on it (bringing it into consciousness) for examination. While there might be many different ways of doing this, this central practice must not be lost.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The practices need to be related to "shining the light into the darkness," which means accessing content from your dark (unconscious) mind and shining a light on it (bringing it into consciousness) for examination.
I suppose we could shine the light into the darkness to incinerate Llewellyn books, lol. But even for the atheistic LeVay ritual was important, but he wasn't swining a pendulum to predict the future. Maybe something about using the light for ourselves to walk above the stars and purge ourselves of relying on trinkets and false prophets that sell false hope.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I kind of feel that it reads more as a reflection of certain types of opinions more than a truly objective overview. I think that that is counter to Luciferianism which is about truth, which is perfect and unbiased and so any description should likewise reflect that value.

Honestly I think we could just quote something like wikipedia or whatever and it work just as well assuming the article is well written enough. The problem with DIR descriptions is that they tend to either be from a singular source, from a specific viewpoint (and thus biased) or a copy of something like wikipedia. You'd basically need someone who's a scholar to properly write an overview that was accurate, detailed and defined in a "nonpartisan" way so to speak that didn't give favor in terms of credibility towards one interpretation or another.

The overview was made by me as a Luciferian, involving the Luciferian DIR as a whole.

http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/overview.137080/

This is someone simply being pissy about a rule violation, there's no merit to changing or erasing it.

I read/skimmed that entire topic. It's mostly you and one guy talking about it, then you arguing with someone else. There didn't seem to be a total consensus even now as we see here.

As a Luciferian I am sure that you value truth above all else, and could see that anyone in your shoes would be very prone to bias considering that they wrote the overview.

------------------

A breakdown where I disagree with it and why I think it needs to be rewritten... I actually don't think it reflects the best on Luciferianism. Though I also point out where I agree.

- Lucifer, light-bearer, is a title that can be earned

Nitpick but I'd say it's given, not earned. This is more of a word choice issue than one about deserving something.

This path is individualistic and not dogmatic.

Individuals tend to be dogmatic in their perceptions.

However, even if Lucifer is seen as a specific being, worshiping or dedicating yourself to this God is logically not Luciferian in nature,

This makes no sense and flies in the face of centuries of Luciferianism. It also goes against many modern day interpretations. So not an unbiased statement.

as the path is one of individuality and personal freedom.

What does freedom have to do with Luciferianism?

Honoring, communicating with, invoking this being, whether Lucifer be a title or a name, is up to the individual practitioner.

True.

- The quest for knowledge is essential to the path. All knowledge that can be gained is good, but the rejection of false knowledge and acceptance of factual knowledge also is important. To believe that the earth is flat despite the objective fact it is not is logically not to commit to knowledge / light-bearing. It should be noted that knowledge includes knowledge of self.

Okay, starting to agree here.

- Luciferian is more basic than atheistic, theistic, gnostic, deistic, polytheistic, etc etc etc. Anyone can be a Luciferian if they wish to be,

Right, since know(ledge)ing of this subject is currently impossible only conjecture/hypothetical.

and the existence of God is neither an objectively true or false fact, so there is no logical contradiction in believing either way.

What does that even mean? Fact is not dictated by knowledge.

- Truth over comfort is obviously important, as the concept of lucifer is light-bearer. If a fact contradicts your beliefs, to amend your beliefs is logically the Luciferian thing to do whereas accepting a false believe is not to commit to truth.

No one really ever believes that they have accepted a false belief. And invoking "facts" isn't exactly a good way to correct incorrect perception. It kind of reads like a weird religion of pseudo-skepticism when worded like this.

- The Luciferian path is primarily Left-Hand Path,

I'd add that that's mostly a modern thing. Historically it was Right Hand Path if we want to go by the common parlance in occult circles but technically most Luciferians don't use the LHP/RHP labels SFAIK unless they incorporate the LHP from other religions.

and is open to all magic(k), occultism, etc etc etc. It is an individualistic path, and there is nothing a Luciferian must do or is not allowed to do. The "criteria" for the title is simply logical.

This actually is illogical in the formal sense. IF there is nothing a Luciferian must or must not do then that contradicts a lot of the earlier post that says Lucifierans should/must amend beliefs to fit 'facts'. It also doesn't specify why the title is "simply logical" it just makes the statement without any explanation of what that actually means.

- Nobody has more of a "right" to the title than any others, it is simply based on reason.

if the title is based on reason, and someone used that title in a way that contradicted reason, it would follow or at least imply that the former had more of a "right" than the latter.

- The ability to use mythology and symbolism effectively and learn from it while still being able to recognize it is not actually true is an important aspect of the Luciferian path.

Unless you are a theistic Luciferian who actually believes in the mythos or some variant there of like at least one member that comes to mind (not me, mind you).

- The Luciferian does not need to wear their label on their sleeve, nor seek approval.

I don't see too much issue with the former so long as doesn't dominate their personality but I agree the latter is better but a lot of occultists say stuff like that so it rings kind of hallow.

It is a personal commitment and nobody needs to know. (This is more in life than the forum. )

But if Luciferianism is about truth, why would a light bearer, a truth bearer, hide the truth?

- While a Luciferian does not necessarily need to be a teacher and share their knowledge, part the the logical criteria is they must be a student and take in knowledge.

Because Lucifer, Prometheus, The Buddha, Jesus or anyone else totally didn't share their knowledge with all of mankind. (sarcasm)

- For a Luciferian, the quest for knowledge has to come before the ego's desire to be right. In order to learn, one must be willing to be wrong and lose arguments.

I would agree.

- The burden of Knowledge of Self is on the Luciferian, as nobody else can every truly understand who you are. Personal experiences, such as mystical experiences, may validate belief for any individual person,

I'd basically agree, but I think some might see the self as 'unknowable'. But sometimes outside observers *do* know someone better than they know themselves so...

but a Luciferian realizes that personal experience is not objectively valid and is not a usable premise in the argument for any objective truth.

But it's objectively true that that is their personal truth right? Or at least evidence of it?

- Everyone wishes to think they are on the quest for factual knowledge, even if they knowingly reject accepted fact to do so.

"Accepted fact" is subject to the perception of the masses which is not necessarily reflective of reality. If facts are objectively true and accepted, there is no quest to be had; all the answers would be laid out to bear before the would-be Luciferian.

This perception is irrelevant. Factual knowledge is not dependent on how one feels, only what is actually true.

What is actually true can only be known accurately but not absolutely through flawed perception (many religions see to break this flawed perception and have perfect perception, some that are Luciferian and some that are not).

- Fideism is a direct contradiction of the Luciferian path.

I would agree.

- The Luciferian accepts that objective truths exist and that there is reality external of the mind, even though we perceive that reality and those truths subjectively.

This kind of explicit statement contradicts the earlier one that no Luciferian has to do or not do anything. Also, I would agree that the Luciferian should accept that objectively true truth exists, but nothing in that requires for a duality of the mind and reality. Nothing in Luciferianism either past or modern actually requires that other than apparently some path that some posters seem to follow. At the very least it's one interpretation that isn't reflective of all Luciferians. I would agree however that we do perceive reality and truth subjectively, which is where the Luciferian quest for making that more accurate comes in.

Last edited:

Kapalika

Premium Member
TL;DR I find the overview to have contradictions and not represent an objective overview but more of a specific set of views that are not fully representative of the diversity within Luciferianism both past and present. I agree with some parts but I think it needs to be rewritten due to the reasons I posted above.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I don't care either way, but the user who reported this made it clear that the report was made in pissy anger due to a valid dir violation. I just don't think we should get back into the hardcore DIR fights all because someone got their feelings hurt.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I don't care either way, but the user who reported this made it clear that the report was made in pissy anger due to a valid dir violation. I just don't think we should get back into the hardcore DIR fights all because someone got their feelings hurt.

If someone considers themselves a Luciferian and got a DIR violation for posting here that is a real problem, which is what this sounds like. If this is why the staff has opened the discussion then they as administrators have seen the need for it.

However I don't see the harm in just quoting wikipedia or something like that instead. I don't see what qualifies any one of us to define it as per who can participate and who can't. Also I think that the post contradicts itself in a few ways so it would help to at least fix those parts.

Actually a lot of the forum descriptions of sections just straight up quote wikipedia or old wikipedia articles lol

Also as a last note, it's easy to say that you don't want to fight when it's not your view being left out of the description and implied or said to be invalid in the same description. IMO Luciferians should be as unbiased as possible just not in truth but in these types of situations as well. One can have their beliefs but a lot of this goes into what's subjectively true as well as the unknowable.

Premium Member
It was a member posting in an entirely different section as a Luciferian. They came to me to ensure I didn't take the report of the overview personally (it's not like it's mine anyways) and assure me it was just them being childish because the "mods are after them".

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Fundamental Luciferianism
Luciferianism is a modern term for the magico-spiritual attainment of inner power through applicable knowledge of one's individual self. A Luciferian rejects all accepted truths and instead arrives at their conclusions through personal exploration. The balance of Light and Darkness, the Objective and the Subjective are of equal importance to the Luciferian.

*This analysis was determined through extracting the basic ideologies from all of the Luciferian schools of thought, their specific tenets omitted allowing a fundamental and unifying basis for Luciferianism.

Whether the author identified at the time as Luciferian, they are known primarily and now identify as Setian.
The definition of Luciferianism should come from a Luciferian.
I have followed and evolved Luciferianism along with several other prominent Luciferians for two decades.

- Lucifer, light-bearer, is a title that can be earned by any person, deity, spiritual being, etc, and in some cases it can be the name of a specific entity. *This path is individualistic and not dogmatic. However, even if Lucifer is seen as a specific being, worshiping or dedicating yourself to this God is logically not Luciferian in nature, as the path is one of individuality and personal freedom. Honoring, communicating with, invoking this being, whether Lucifer be a title or a name, is up to the individual practitioner.
*this omits Theistic and some Gnostic Luciferians

- The quest for knowledge is essential to the path. All knowledge that can be gained is good, but the rejection of false knowledge and acceptance of factual knowledge also is important. To believe that the earth is flat despite the objective fact it is not is logically not to commit to knowledge / light-bearing. It should be noted that knowledge includes knowledge of self.
- Luciferian is more basic than atheistic, theistic, gnostic, deistic, polytheistic, etc etc etc. Anyone can be a Luciferian if they wish to be, and the existence of God is neither an objectively true or false fact, so there is no logical contradiction in believing either way.
*this simply addresses Adversarial Luciferianism and not the many other schools

- Truth over comfort is obviously important, as the concept of lucifer is light-bearer. If a fact contradicts your beliefs, to amend your beliefs is logically the Luciferian thing to do whereas accepting a false believe is not to commit to truth.
- The Luciferian path is primarily Left-Hand Path, and is open to all magic(k), occultism, etc etc etc. It is an individualistic path, and there is nothing a Luciferian must do or is not allowed to do. The "criteria" for the title is simply logical.
*Luciferianism has recently been referred to as a Complete Path (coined by Jeremy Crow) and not necessarily limited to Left Hand Path ideals.

- Nobody has more of a "right" to the title than any others, it is simply based on reason.
- The ability to use mythology and symbolism effectively and learn from it while still being able to recognize it is not actually true is an important aspect of the Luciferian path.
- The Luciferian does not need to wear their label on their sleeve, nor seek approval. It is a personal commitment and nobody needs to know. (This is more in life than the forum. )
- For a Luciferian, the quest for knowledge has to come before the ego's desire to be right. In order to learn, one must be willing to be wrong and lose arguments.
- The burden of Knowledge of Self is on the Luciferian, as nobody else can every truly understand who you are. Personal experiences, such as mystical experiences, may validate belief for any individual person, but a Luciferian realizes that personal experience is not objectively valid and is not a usable premise in the argument for any objective truth.
- Everyone wishes to think they are on the quest for factual knowledge, even if they knowingly reject accepted fact to do so. This perception is irrelevant. Factual knowledge is not dependent on how one feels, only what is actually true.
- Fideism is a direct contradiction of the Luciferian path.
- The Luciferian accepts that objective truths exist and that there is reality external of the mind, even though we perceive that reality and those truths subjectively.

*This is all unnecessary philosophizing as Luciferianism cannot be pigeon-holed into any of these imposed tenets. The many differing schools of Luciferianism (Theistic, Non-Theistic, Gnostic, etc.) will approach being Luciferian and Lucifer from very different angles, all of which are valid granted they pursue the fundamentals of Luciferianism.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
It was a member posting in an entirely different section as a Luciferian. They came to me to ensure I didn't take the report of the overview personally (it's not like it's mine anyways) and assure me it was just them being childish because the "mods are after them".
The Setians that I know are honorable and don't 'OUT' others . . . you apparently are neither Luciferian nor Setian

Premium Member
The Setians that I know are honorable and don't 'OUT' others . . . you apparently are neither Luciferian nor Setian

I don't remember saying your name anywhere, you've outted yourself. And acting like a baby over a valid DIR violation shows you have no ability to say others are not LHP. Grow up and move on, we all get violations now and then.

Premium Member
If you want a new overview then get on it, don't go begging the mods to change it. LHP my ***.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Guys, can we please keep this discussion on-topic, productive, and free of rule violations?