• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lost Art of Compassion

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings to anyone curious enough to click on this little thread I am creating.

Hope this is the right area for such a topic ...

I have been re-re-reading this book by Lorne Ladner.

The author is a therapist & Tibetan Buddhist practitioner.

I find it most insightful. Here's a sample -

Page 8 -

This brings me back to the earlier question of what constitutes a good, happy, meaningful life. When you ask Westerners this question, some answer based on external accomplishments such as gaining a certain amount of wealth, popularity, sensual pleasure, comfort and social standing.

Others answer on a more deeply interpersonal level, focusing on their relationships with family and friends and on making some significant contribution to the world. It's extremely rare for anyone - even Western psychotherapists - to answer this question psychologically. The Buddhist response to this question is deeply psychological: Buddhism asserts that a good, happy life is determined not by anything external but rather by the quality of our minds and hearts in each moment of life. Regardless of what we do or don't do externally, a life spent cultivating wisdom and compassion is a good life.

May add more if I remember - you know what I am like!

Esp the chapter about your "inner enemy" and what to do about it ...

Wishing you all the best!

Feel free to add your own thoughts/recommendations etc etc etc ...

:)