• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lords Prayer, dedicated to who?

Shtef

Each day when Christians say the Lords Prayer and repeat the word 'lead us not into temptation' it is done so with God in mind. However, despite their intentions, is it really a prayer meant for God?

Given the line quoted above I have two arguments that say it isn't:

a) James 'the brother of the Lord' states, "let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God can not be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man" - (The Gen. Ep. of James, i, 13)

b) It is generally accepted within Christian circles that it is the Devil that does all of the tempting.

Considering these two points, why would it be necessary to pray to God for relief from temptation?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Shtef said:
Each day when Christians say the Lords Prayer and repeat the word 'lead us not into temptation' it is done so with God in mind. However, despite their intentions, is it really a prayer meant for God?

a) James 'the brother of the Lord' states, "let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God can not be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man" - (The Gen. Ep. of James, i, 13)

b) It is generally accepted within Christian circles that it is the Devil that does all of the tempting.

Considering these two points, why would it be necessary to pray to God for relief from temptation?

But that's not what the phrase means. Rather, it means 'do not allow us to be lead into temptation'. That's like saying 'protect us from the temptations of the devil'. This is all the more obvious if you correctly translate the following phrase in Greek as 'deliver us from the evil one' rather than 'deliver us from evil'. It is quite clear in the original that it does not refer to non-specific evil but rather an evil entity - the devil.

James

Happier

Shtef said:

Who created the devil? Who has authority over the devil? Who controls the devil?

When the psalmist wrote "thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me" what did that mean? Maybe God uses satan to chastise us or drive us back to the right path.

James may have been correct only in the narrowest, strictest sense. Consider these verses though:

[SIZE=-1]"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7)

[/SIZE]"Therefore he has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens." (Rom. 9:18)

"Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?" (Rom. 9:21)

"Then I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, so that he will pursue them; and I will gain honor over Pharaoh and over all his army, that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD." (Ex. 14:4)

I only bring it up as an illustration of God's total sovereignty over all things, including the devil. Either God is sovereign, or he isn't. So I think Jesus knew what he was doing when he included that sentence in the Lord's Prayer.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Shtef said:

You remember what God allowed Satan to do to Job don't you?
(whispers) Be afraid, be very afraid.

Shtef

cardero said:
You remember what God allowed Satan to do to Job don't you?
(whispers) Be afraid, be very afraid.

yeah I remember. Actually, that's one of my favourite stories in the whole bible. Whenever my heart needs a little warming I just think over the story of Job and remember how 'God' killed the family of one of his most loyal and devout subjects, all to prove a point to Satan....beautiful stuff that.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JamesThePersian said:
But that's not what the phrase means. Rather, it means 'do not allow us to be lead into temptation'. That's like saying 'protect us from the temptations of the devil'. This is all the more obvious if you correctly translate the following phrase in Greek as 'deliver us from the evil one' rather than 'deliver us from evil'. It is quite clear in the original that it does not refer to non-specific evil but rather an evil entity - the devil.

James

That's the way I see it.