• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

Brian2

Veteran Member
Check it out….
Oxford English Doctionary:
“Practice”
‘uncountable, countable] doing an activity or training regularly so that you can improve your skill; the time you spend doing this
    • conversation practice
    • It takes a lot of practice to play the violin well.
    • There's a basketball practice every Friday evening.
    • She does an hour's piano practice every day.
    • With practice you will become more skilled.
    • practice in doing something I've had a lot of practice in saying ‘no’ recently!
    • It takes years of practice to get it right.
    • We had an extra practice session on Friday.
    SEE ALSO teaching practice
    Extra Examples
    • Don't worry if you can't do it at first—it takes practice!
    • His accent should improve with practice.
    • I'll be able to get in a bit of practice this weekend.
    • It will be good practice for later, when you have to make speeches in public.
    • The children need more practice in tying their shoelaces.
    • This chapter gives students practice in using adjectives.
    • We watched the swimmers go through their practice drills.
    • The trainees need more practice in using the compass.
    Oxford Collocations Dictionary

action not ideas
  1. [uncountable] action rather than ideas
    • the theory and practice of teaching
    • She's determined to put her new ideas into practice.
    • in practice the complications that arise in actual
[uncountable, countable] a way of doing something that is the usual or expected way in a particular organization or situation
  • Wearing gloves should be standard practicewhen handling pesticides.
  • These methods remain current practice.
  • It is a common practice to include recommendations for further action in the report.
  • Everyone knows it is good business practice to listen to your customers.
  • childcare policy and practice
  • a review of pay and working practices
  • Religious practices differ from group to group.
  • I am constantly adopting new practices on my farm.
  • The government has changed its accounting practices.
  • practice of doing something We will follow the practice of going in alphabetical order.
  • The company has ended its practice of pumping raw sewage out to sea.
SEE ALSO best practice, code of practice,restrictive practices
Extra Examples
  • American social practices
  • Certain practices exist in both public and private schools.
  • Established practices are difficult to modify.
  • It is standard practice not to pay bills until the end of the month.
  • The bank has continued its practice of charging late fees.
  • This is now common practice among ethnographers.
  • changes in employment practices
  • environmentally sound practices
  • the company's general practice of selling through agents
  • the decisions that govern our practice and our conduct
  • questionable accounting practices regarding the sale of hardware
  • shady business practices
  • Rumours of sharp practice or dishonest dealing will ruin his career.
  • We use this information to inform clinical practice.
  • safe medical practices for children
————————————————-
Cambridge Dictionary:
practice
noun

UK

/ˈpræk.tɪs/ US

/ˈpræk.tɪs/

practice noun (ACTION)
[ U ]
action rather than thought or ideas:
How do you intend to put these proposalsinto practice, Mohamed?

in practice
describe what really happens as opposed to what you think will happen in a particular situation:
It seemed like a good idea before we started, but in practice it was a disaster.
Officially, Robert's in charge, but in practice Hannah runs the office.
I can't see how your plan is going to work in practice.
More examples

The way I remember it is that "practice" is a noun and "practise" is a verb.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Check it out….
Oxford English Doctionary:
“Practice”
‘uncountable, countable] doing an activity or training regularly so that you can improve your skill; the time you spend doing this
    • conversation practice
    • It takes a lot of practice to play the violin well.
    • There's a basketball practice every Friday evening.
    • She does an hour's piano practice every day.
    • With practice you will become more skilled.
    • practice in doing something I've had a lot of practice in saying ‘no’ recently!
    • It takes years of practice to get it right.
    • We had an extra practice session on Friday.
    SEE ALSO teaching practice
    Extra Examples
    • Don't worry if you can't do it at first—it takes practice!
    • His accent should improve with practice.
    • I'll be able to get in a bit of practice this weekend.
    • It will be good practice for later, when you have to make speeches in public.
    • The children need more practice in tying their shoelaces.
    • This chapter gives students practice in using adjectives.
    • We watched the swimmers go through their practice drills.
    • The trainees need more practice in using the compass.
    Oxford Collocations Dictionary

action not ideas
  1. [uncountable] action rather than ideas
    • the theory and practice of teaching
    • She's determined to put her new ideas into practice.
    • in practice the complications that arise in actual
[uncountable, countable] a way of doing something that is the usual or expected way in a particular organization or situation
  • Wearing gloves should be standard practicewhen handling pesticides.
  • These methods remain current practice.
  • It is a common practice to include recommendations for further action in the report.
  • Everyone knows it is good business practice to listen to your customers.
  • childcare policy and practice
  • a review of pay and working practices
  • Religious practices differ from group to group.
  • I am constantly adopting new practices on my farm.
  • The government has changed its accounting practices.
  • practice of doing something We will follow the practice of going in alphabetical order.
  • The company has ended its practice of pumping raw sewage out to sea.
SEE ALSO best practice, code of practice,restrictive practices
Extra Examples
  • American social practices
  • Certain practices exist in both public and private schools.
  • Established practices are difficult to modify.
  • It is standard practice not to pay bills until the end of the month.
  • The bank has continued its practice of charging late fees.
  • This is now common practice among ethnographers.
  • changes in employment practices
  • environmentally sound practices
  • the company's general practice of selling through agents
  • the decisions that govern our practice and our conduct
  • questionable accounting practices regarding the sale of hardware
  • shady business practices
  • Rumours of sharp practice or dishonest dealing will ruin his career.
  • We use this information to inform clinical practice.
  • safe medical practices for children
————————————————-
Cambridge Dictionary:
practice
noun

UK

/ˈpræk.tɪs/ US

/ˈpræk.tɪs/

practice noun (ACTION)
[ U ]
action rather than thought or ideas:
How do you intend to put these proposalsinto practice, Mohamed?

in practice
describe what really happens as opposed to what you think will happen in a particular situation:
It seemed like a good idea before we started, but in practice it was a disaster.
Officially, Robert's in charge, but in practice Hannah runs the office.
I can't see how your plan is going to work in practice.
More examples
Your settings might have caused those sites to give you the American spelling:

Learn English: Practise or practice?.

The noun is spelled the same as here, but he used the word as a verb.

"In Australian and British English, 'practise' is the verb and 'practice' is the noun. In American English, 'practice' is both the verb and the noun."

It is not wise to try to correct the language that a native speaker uses.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
@3rdAngel

The only time the expression "The Lord's Day" is used in the Bible is in revelation, and it doesn't mention which day of the week it was. To find out which day it refers to, you have to go to Christian writings outside the Bible, which clearly state that the Lord's Day is not the Sabbath:

If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death—whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master(Letter to the Magnesians(shorter) Chapter IX.—Let us live with Christ [A.D. 110]).

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
SUNDAY WORSHIP IS NOT THE LORD'S DAY

The term "the Lord's day" was used by some in the early Church as a reference to Sunday worship in celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. It comes from a scripture in the bible found in Revelation 1
  • REVELATION 1:10 10, I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet
The Greek words used for the day that JOHN was in the Spirit of is the for Lord's day are
  • REVELATION 1:10 εγενομην εν πνευματι εν τη κυριακη ημερα και ηκουσα οπισω μου φωνην μεγαλην ως σαλπιγγος
The word "κυριακη" (translit. "kuriake") is an Adjective - Dative - Singular - Feminine. This means it is being used as a 'possessive' as ownership or belonging to ("of", see 1 Corinthians 11:20, "the Lord's supper"), which means the "day" in context belongs to "the Lord". It is literally "the Lord's (belonging to) day". This means, that the "day" in context is uniquely "the Lord's" out of all the 7 days of the week, for the day under consideration is that which exists within the week, as a day which repeats weekly. This is extremely important, as those who incorrectly assume it to mean "the first [day] of the week" in lieu of Jesus' resurrection, cannot get a weekly occurrence out of a one-time event, in fulfillment of typology of the Firstfruit/Wavesheaf in Leviticus 23:9-14, as made known in 1 Corinthians 15:20,23

The problem here however is that there is not a single scripture that references Sunday or the first day of the week (bible names for the days of the week) to being "the Lords day" in scripture.

According to the scripture "the Lords day" however can be referenced to "the Sabbath day" of Gods' 4th commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11.

Letting the scriptures answer this question
  • WHAT DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES?
  • MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY
This then promotes a bit of a dilemma for the Church as there is not a single scripture in all of the bible that days "the Lords day" from Revelation 1:10 is Sunday. Yet there is many scriptures referencing "the Lords day" or Gods' specific claims to ownership of any particular day to the Sabbath day that he blessed and set aside as a holy day of rest for a memorial of creation (see Genesis 2:1-3) and made one of Gods' 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11).

God's "ownership" of the Sabbath day or "Lord's day is also repeated elsewhere as "MY" (ownership of the day as in the Greek used in REVELATION 1:10 κυριακη). Other scriptures in the bible pointing to "the Lords day" as being the Sabbath day...
  • MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY. (the Sabbath day is Lord's day)
  • ISAIAH 58:13-14 [13], If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day); and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words: [14], Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.
  • LEVITICUS 19:30 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day)and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
  • EZEKIEL 20:12 Moreover also I gave them MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day) to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ used in Revelations 1:10 is in reference to the Lord's ownership of the day. It does not say that this day is in reference to μιά των σαββάτων which means the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your challenge here in this OP is to prove from the scriptures alone that the Lord's DAY is in reference to the First day of the week. If you cannot all you have is a teaching and tradition of men that is not supported in the scriptures. There is not a single scripture in all the bible that refers to Sunday as being "the Lords day".

May God bless you as you seek Him through His Word.
Indeed.

Why would I prefer a Christian view of this to the Jewish view?

The Sabbath is a Jewish idea.

The Christian one is a later devising, I suspect for political reasons ─ it can't be down to a Christian appetite for strict historical accuracy.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
As posted earlier Romans 14 has nothing, zero, zilch to do with Gods' 4th commandment seventh day Sabbath. To come up with an interpretation that Romans 14 is telling you that God's 4th commandment has been abolished and we can now keep any day of the week is not written in these scripture and in fact you have to read the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment into Romans 14 because it is not present. Romans 14 is about eating and not eating on days that men esteem over other days and judging others in this regard. It is not talking about what days God esteems over other days because it is written in the scriptures the things that men esteem are an abomination to God (see Luke 16:15). Now let me ask you again can you show me a single scripture in all the bible that says Gods' 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest? - There is none.

Take Care.

Romans 14 certainly has to do with the Sabbath.

PruePhillip

How so? Paul's works predated the Gospels by quite a bit anyway. Yes, the Bible is a bit misleading since the Gospels are the first NT books one sees. And what evidence is there for this?

Not sure of the dates. Jesus was crucified around, what, late 20's AD? Paul and Luke, the author of Act and Gospel of Luke, died ca 66AD.
Paul heard the Gospel in the 30's ????
Paul's earliest surviving letter was mid 50's.
Luke's Acts finished prematurely AD66 so his Gospel predated this. And Luke quotes from Matthew and Mark's Gospels.
So I don't think Paul had anything to do with the written Gospels. He was a Johny Come Lately to that aspect.
But there's one thing about Paul - he understood in a way that others (ie Peter) did not understand, that Jesus wasn't bringing Old Testament to the Jew but New Testament to Jew and Gentile alike. Jesus both fulfilled Old Testament and replaced the Law of the Old Testmanet with his Grace.

PruePhillip

Indeed.

Why would I prefer a Christian view of this to the Jewish view?

The Sabbath is a Jewish idea.

The Christian one is a later devising, I suspect for political reasons ─ it can't be down to a Christian appetite for strict historical accuracy.

Not sure what 'politics' was involved with Jesus appeared to his Disciples that Sunday, or the following Sunday when they gathered. Or the Sunday of Pentacost when His people were gathered. Sunday was significant in that the foundation church believed that Jesus rose on the Sunday. And that became the Christian Sabbath.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not sure of the dates. Jesus was crucified around, what, late 20's AD? Paul and Luke, the author of Act and Gospel of Luke, died ca 66AD.
Paul heard the Gospel in the 30's ????
Paul's earliest surviving letter was mid 50's.
Luke's Acts finished prematurely AD66 so his Gospel predated this. And Luke quotes from Matthew and Mark's Gospels.
So I don't think Paul had anything to do with the written Gospels. He was a Johny Come Lately to that aspect.
But there's one thing about Paul - he understood in a way that others (ie Peter) did not understand, that Jesus wasn't bringing Old Testament to the Jew but New Testament to Jew and Gentile alike. Jesus both fulfilled Old Testament and replaced the Law of the Old Testmanet with his Grace.
No. The "gospel" did not exist at the time of Paul. That was a later development. At that time there was only early oral tradition.

And you have your own spin on what Paul knew. Some of the Gospels were aimed at specific audiences which explains some of the differences and contradictions in them.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not sure what 'politics' was involved with Jesus appeared to his Disciples that Sunday, or the following Sunday when they gathered. Or the Sunday of Pentacost when His people were gathered. Sunday was significant in that the foundation church believed that Jesus rose on the Sunday. And that became the Christian Sabbath.
The Jewish observation of the Saturday Sabbath continued unabated, I dare say. Certainly there's no suggestion to the contrary.

But of course if you can point me to a quote of Jesus saying, "Listen up, y'all, no more Saturdays! No, it's Sundays from here on in, and don't you forget it!" ─ well, then I'll be better informed.

PS I notice from Wikipedia that Eastern Christianity keeps the Saturday Sabbath, as do the Mormons. So as for the Western Christians with the Sunday Sabbath I'm reminded of the Irish joke (from back when Irish jokes were permissible) of the lady watching the army parade and saying proudly, "They're all out of step except my Paddy!"

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
A nation of men who decide to build civilisation and enslave family by threat and family murder to achieve it.

Did.

They then wanted earths power sources named gods.

They built technology.

In the past control was man the king. False brother. Hierarchy all men wanting to be King too. But accepted roles not as rich men but poorer than king yet titled a lord. Lords could become a king only. By men's decree.

Lord of trade. Lord of smaller communities. All answered to the nation's human ruler.

No longer mutual family of natural spiritual elder wise hierarchy grand or great parent. Those who taught nature not a temple holy ground.

Criminals past without human law lawyer or legality. Mutual rights.

No one stopped them.

For six days the Lord's had to toil for their man king. Seventh day no toil but they had to attend their king's temple to worship him as their god father. The human ruler.

Became a recorded human behaviour AI heavens memory. Humans of the past.

Man of great power owner of earths riches was the lying history of human man's brothers hatred. True real history. Not yet healed or legally righted by the earth's mutual equal human family.

Brian2

Veteran Member
No. The "gospel" did not exist at the time of Paul. That was a later development. At that time there was only early oral tradition.

And you have your own spin on what Paul knew. Some of the Gospels were aimed at specific audiences which explains some of the differences and contradictions in them.

The gospel existed from the beginning but the 4 texts did not exist till later. Paul no doubt knew much of what Jesus said and did and initially spent time in the Church in Antioch and would have found out much more.
There is a different emphasis in the 4 different texts but I don't think that means contradictions because of the audiences the texts were written for.

Brian2

Veteran Member
The Jewish observation of the Saturday Sabbath continued unabated, I dare say. Certainly there's no suggestion to the contrary.

But of course if you can point me to a quote of Jesus saying, "Listen up, y'all, no more Saturdays! No, it's Sundays from here on in, and don't you forget it!" ─ well, then I'll be better informed.

PS I notice from Wikipedia that Eastern Christianity keeps the Saturday Sabbath, as do the Mormons. So as for the Western Christians with the Sunday Sabbath I'm reminded of the Irish joke (from back when Irish jokes were permissible) of the lady watching the army parade and saying proudly, "They're all out of step except my Paddy!"

Neither Saturday nor Sunday should ever have been part of a system of laws that were set up for Christians to obey. I do however remember the not going to Mass on a Sunday and certain other days in the year as being serious sin for Catholics when I was growing up.

PruePhillip

Out of step? You ought to know - Sunday was the Christian Sabbath for 2,000 years.
As for the Jews - their temple and daily sacrifices was taken from them, along with their nation and security, for about that length of time too.
For some Jews at least, this must have led to some soul searching, particularly in light of the fact that in the OT the blessing lay in land, and the curse lay in slavery, oppression and exile from that land.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The gospel existed from the beginning but the 4 texts did not exist till later. Paul no doubt knew much of what Jesus said and did and initially spent time in the Church in Antioch and would have found out much more.
There is a different emphasis in the 4 different texts but I don't think that means contradictions because of the audiences the texts were written for.
No, now you are pretending that a odd version of Christianity is true. You don't get to do that. You would first need to show very good reason to believe that version of Christianity.

PruePhillip

No, now you are pretending that a odd version of Christianity is true. You don't get to do that. You would first need to show very good reason to believe that version of Christianity.

There's four versions concerning my father. To some he was a crook and a jail bird. To others he was a likable rogue. To his sons he was a terror and to his daugthers he was every loving and indulgent.
Which was the real father?

The never-be-satisfied-no-matter-what brigade the tactic is to focus upon the differences. To those who love this story the focus is upon the similarities, and respecting that each author - Matthew, Peter (penned by Mark) Luke and John gave their IMPRESSIONS and it's recorded as 'According to'

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Neither Saturday nor Sunday should ever have been part of a system of laws that were set up for Christians to obey. I do however remember the not going to Mass on a Sunday and certain other days in the year as being serious sin for Catholics when I was growing up.
But just because the RCC says it doesn't mean it's historically accurate, however doctrinally accurate it may be.
The gospel existed from the beginning but the 4 texts did not exist till later.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are four gospels, not one, no? The first one written was Mark, around 75 CE. There was one earlier version of Jesus, namely Paul's. Of the other three models of Jesus, Matthew and Luke have similarities, but John's is closer in many ways to Paul's.
Paul no doubt knew much of what Jesus said and did and initially spent time in the Church in Antioch and would have found out much more.
No, Paul never met Jesus. And he says

Galatians 1:11 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not man's gospel. 12 For I did not receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.​

and what Paul claims to know about the biography of Jesus will fit into two or three lines.
In my view that claim is not sustainable. There are five distinct versions of Jesus in the NT. Paul's and John's are influenced by gnosticism, lived in heaven with God, and created the material universe. Mark's is an ordinary Jew who doesn't become son of God till God adopts him (on the model of David in Psalm 2:7) on his baptism; and Matthew's and Luke's are the product of the divine insemination of a virgin.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Out of step? You ought to know - Sunday was the Christian Sabbath for 2,000 years.
According to my q&d look at the net, no one knows just when Western Christians got all Sundayly ─ and a lot of Christians still observe Saturday. But (given an historical Jesus) it seems more than clear that it didn't have in the lifetime of Jesus, who was a circumcised Jew and a player in the Jewish religious scene. Nothing he says indicates any unorthodoxy about the date of the Sabbath.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There's four versions concerning my father. To some he was a crook and a jail bird. To others he was a likable rogue. To his sons he was a terror and to his daugthers he was every loving and indulgent.
Which was the real father?

The never-be-satisfied-no-matter-what brigade the tactic is to focus upon the differences. To those who love this story the focus is upon the similarities, and respecting that each author - Matthew, Peter (penned by Mark) Luke and John gave their IMPRESSIONS and it's recorded as 'According to'
Sorry, but that is a poor analogy.. Unless you want to admit that some of those beliefs had clear errors in them.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Is it odd? From the beginning it was preached that Jesus rose from the dead and the gospel stories of Jesus were known and taught orally and people in Israel knew of Jesus and what He had been doing, His miracles and teachings. He had been travelling around Israel and healing and teaching for 2-3 years or something.
It is not known when the beginning of writing down the gospels was but it is pretty well known that the synoptics were done by about 30 years after Jesus died even though modern scholarship likes to assume that prophecy is not true and so put the writing of the gospels later, usually after the destruction of the Temple or so close that the destruction was guessed at by the writers.
Surely my version comes from just reading and believing the New Testament.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Is it odd? From the beginning it was preached that Jesus rose from the dead and the gospel stories of Jesus were known and taught orally and people in Israel knew of Jesus and what He had been doing, His miracles and teachings. He had been travelling around Israel and healing and teaching for 2-3 years or something.
It is not known when the beginning of writing down the gospels was but it is pretty well known that the synoptics were done by about 30 years after Jesus died even though modern scholarship likes to assume that prophecy is not true and so put the writing of the gospels later, usually after the destruction of the Temple or so close that the destruction was guessed at by the writers.
Surely my version comes from just reading and believing the New Testament.
You mean "from the beginning of Christianity". That is quite different to " from the beginning ". And that is clearly not the gospel since the various gospels are organized telling of those stories.