• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lord's Day, is it really Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdAngel

See, there you go again. :confused: My guess is that you're going to continue to repeat the same exact verses for a few hundred more posts and then finally give up and leave RF.

Woops and there you go again. My guess is that your going to continue to deny the scriptures by closing your eyes and ears to God's Word in order to follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God. I hope not. Only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow it over the techings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God. Our salvation depends on it *HEBREWS 10:26-39. God's Sheep hear His Voice (the Word) and follow him. Those who do not hear His Voice and follow Him are not God's Sheep *JOHN 10:26-27; MATTHEW 7:22-26.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

There is no NT scripture that identifies Saturday as the Lords day.

Sure there is and it has been provided in the very post you are quoting from. Maybe you did not read it...

WHAT DAY IS THE "LORD'S DAY" ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?

MATTHEW 12:8 [8], For the Son of man is Lord even of the SABBATH DAY.

Which day is the Lord's Day? Yeps THE SABBATH DAY (MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28). There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day though.

Nine of the ten commandments are reiterated multiple times in the NT, the sabbath commandment is never mentioned.

Maybe you need a new bible. Sounds like you a missing some pages out of yours or maybe you do not own a bible pehaps its time to buy one? Everyone of God's 10 commandments are all through the new testament scriptures both individually and collectively. Let's have a look at some in relation to God's 4th that you say are never mentioned...

What did Jesus and the Apostles teach about the Sabbath in the New Testament?

1. It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56)
2. Jesus made the Sabbath for all mankind (Hebrews 1:2; John 1:1-3; 14; Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16-17; Mark 2:27)
3. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28)
4. If you do not believe and follow God you cannot enter His Sabbath rest (Hebrews 4)
5. It is one of God’s 10 commandments we break it we are guilty or breaking all (James 2:8-12)
6. Breaking it is sin (1 John 3:4)
7. God’s true followers keep it Holy as God commanded (Revelation 14:12; Revelation 22:14; Ezekiel 20:20)
8. Jesus is our example and he kept the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1 Cor 11:1; Ephesians 5:1-21; Peter 2:20-22)
9. The Apostle kept the Sabbath (Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Rev 1:10)
10. God's people wil continue keeping the Sabbath in the new heavens and new earth *Isaiah 66:22-23

Let's finish up with this one and here the conclusion of the story... Are you ready for it???

11. Hebrews 4:9, SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH

The above is not exhaustive but it does show you need a new bible or perhaps you should start reading it for yourself and stop listening to the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God. According to the scriptures *HEBREWS 10:26-39 our salvation depends on it. There is not one scripture on all of God's Word that says God's 4th commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. This is a man made teaching and tradition that breaks the commandments of God that JESUS warns us about in Matthew 15:3-9

The writings of the early Christians make it clear that Christians abandoned the Jewish custom of worship on the Sabbath (seventh day) and instead held the first day, which they called the Lord's Day, to be the sacred day of worship. One of the simplest explanations on the subject comes from Tertullian, around 200 AD....

The OP here is asking for "SCRIPTURE" that show that "SUNDAY" or the first day of the week is "THE LORDS DAY" it is not asking for man made teachings and traditions that break the commandments of God and lead others away from the Word of God.

According to the biblical and historical records, God's people all throught time to this very present day from JESUS to the Apostles after the death and resurrection of JESUS to God's people after the death of the Apostles have always kept God's 4th commandment unbroken according to Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments to this very present day.

Let's look at some of the evidence, both biblically and historically...

Jesus kept and followed the Sabbath which was his custom and taught us how to truly keep the Sabbath holy according to God's 4th commandment *Luke 4:16; Matthew 12:1-12; Mark 2:27-28. JESUS even warned his disciples in the future after his death and resurrection that they would still be keeping the Sabbath *Matthew 24:20 before the destruction of Jerusalem. After the death and resurrection of JESUS the Apostles continued keeping the Sabbath according to God's LAW which was also the custom of Paul the Apostle *Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4

Now even after the death of JESUS and all the Apostles the disciples of JESUS have kept Gods 4th commandment unbroken to this very present day....

Sabbath Observance - The first Century A.D.

JOSEPHUS
"There is not any city of the Grecians, nor any of the Barbarians, nor any nation whatsoever, whither our custom of resting on the seventh day hath not come!" M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries on China and Japan" (edited by Dennys), Vol 4, Nos 7, 8, p.100.

PHILO
Declares the seventh day to be a festival, not of this or of that city, but of the universe. M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries," Vol. 4, 99

So we have incontrovertible proof that the observance of sunday was NOT practiced by the apostolic church of the first century. Although the poison of apostasy had already begun, it did not reach the ascendancy until the passage of a few more centuries.

The next installment will show the historical record of the early christians observing the true seventh day Sabbath in the second century A.D.

Sabbath Observance - The Second Century A.D.

EARLY CHRISTIANS - 2nd Century
"The primitive Christians had a great veneration for the Sabbath, and spent the day in devotion and sermons. And it is not to be doubted but they derived this practice from the Apostles themselves, as appears by several scriptures to the purpose." "Dialogues on the Lord's Day," p. 189. London: 1701, By Dr. T.H. Morer (A Church of England divine).

"...The Sabbath was a strong tie which united them with the life of the whole people, and in keeping the Sabbath holy they followed not only the example but also the command of Jesus." "Geschichte des Sonntags," pp.13, 14

"The Gentile Christians observed also the Sabbath," Gieseler's "Church History," Vol.1, ch. 2, par. 30, 93.

"The primitive Christians did keep the Sabbath of the Jews;...therefore the Christians, for a long time together, did keep their conventions upon the Sabbath, in which some portions of the law were read: and this continued till the time of the Laodicean council." "The Whole Works" of Jeremy Taylor, Vol. IX,p. 416 (R. Heber's Edition, Vol XII, p. 416).

"It is certain that the ancient Sabbath did remain and was observed (together with the celebration of the Lord's day) by the Christians of the East Church, above three hundred years after our Saviour's death." "A Learned Treatise of the Sabbath," p. 77

Note: By the "Lord's day" here the writer means Sunday and not the true Sabbath," which the Bible says is the Sabbath. This quotation shows Sunday coming into use in the early centuries soon after the death of the Apostles. It illustrates the apostasy that Paul the Apostle foretold of when he spoke about a great "falling away" from the Truth that would take place soon after his death.

"From the apostles' time until the council of Laodicea, which was about the year 364, the holy observance of the Jews' Sabbath continued, as may be proved out of many authors: yea, notwithstanding the decree of the council against it." "Sunday a Sabbath." John Ley, p.163. London: 1640.

Now I am happy to continue here just let me know as I can provide historical references all through time past the 2nd centuary AD for every century to this very present day. All you have provided is man made teachings and traditions from the Roman Catholic Church that deny God's Word.

Who should we follow; the words of men that break the commandments of God or the Word of God?

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Must keep the sabbath, yet the NT does not say that, aren't YOU teaching the commandments of men ?

You really do need to read your bible for yourself brother. All God's people from JESUS to all the disciples all kept God's 4th commandment in the new testament according to the scriptures as shown in the previous posts already. Who do you believe and follow; the teachings of men that break the commandments of God or the Word of God?

Hebrews 4:9, SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH

May you receive God's Word and be blessed. Ignoring it does not make it disappear.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Whose day is it? Is Jesus your Lord? If He is then Sunday is your Lord's day. If you are not saved by grace then by law it must be Saturday which is Jehovah's day but the name of Jesus is above all names.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Sunday was a day of worship of the Sun.

Christianity is basically another Pagan religion that's been 'remastered'.

I believe it matters not what it is called. Christians can't be forced to wroship the sun just because that is the name of the day any more than Jews and legalists could be forced to worship Saturn on Saturday.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is defineately not biblical that is for sure, although not all Christianity follows this man made teaching and tradition. Thanks for sharing.

Rape, murder and sodomy are Biblical. That does not mean that I have to do those things just because they are in the Bible.

3rdAngel

Whose day is it? Is Jesus your Lord? If He is then Sunday is your Lord's day. If you are not saved by grace then by law it must be Saturday which is Jehovah's day but the name of Jesus is above all names.

Where does it say Sunday is your Lord's Day in God's Word? It doesn't. It says that the Sabbath is the Lord's Day *MATTHEW 12:8

3rdAngel

Rape, murder and sodomy are Biblical. That does not mean that I have to do those things just because they are in the Bible.

All of the above are practices of evil men and not a requirement for those who believe and follow God's Word.

3rdAngel

I believe it matters not what it is called. Christians can't be forced to wroship the sun just because that is the name of the day any more than Jews and legalists could be forced to worship Saturn on Saturday.

It is not being a legalist if you love God and wish to do what his Word says. Those who do not do what God says do not believe and follow God's Word are simply unbelivers and are not God's people.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

We believe in keeping the Sabbath Day holy -- much more so, in fact, than do most Christians. You won't find practicing Latter-day Saints at movies, sporting events, out doing yard work, or at the mall on the day we hold to be the Sabbath. You'll find us in church and spending time with our families doing spiritually uplifting activities. I realize you believe that we are breaking the Sabbath by observing it on Sunday. We believe that it is of little concern to God which day of the week they chose to set aside as a day of worship and rest. The important thing is that we do so every seventh day and not just on whatever day happens to be convenient during any given week.

According to the scriptures, God's LAW (10 Commandments) gives us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172 and if we break any one of them we stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:8-11. According to the scriptures, all those who continue in known unrepentant sin will not enter into the kingdom of Heaven *HEBREWS 10:26-39 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. Now, according to the scriptures, God's Word says that His Sabbath is on the "SEVENTH DAY" of the creation week *GENESIS 2:1-3 and commands His people in His 4th commandment to "REMEMBER" the "SEVENTH DAY" as a "HOLY DAY" of "REST" *EXODUS 20:8-11. If there is not a single scripture in all of God's Word that says God's 4th commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day, don't you think you are taking a bit of a gamble with your salvation worshipping God on the wrong day of the week? Something to think about.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
According to the scriptures, God's LAW (10 Commandments) gives us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172 and if we break any one of them we stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:8-11. According to the scriptures, all those who continue in known unrepentant sin will not enter into the kingdom of Heaven *HEBREWS 10:26-39 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. Now, according to the scriptures, God's Word says that His Sabbath is on the "SEVENTH DAY" of the creation week *GENESIS 2:1-3 and commands His people in His 4th commandment to "REMEMBER" the "SEVENTH DAY" as a "HOLY DAY" of "REST" *EXODUS 20:8-11. If there is not a single scripture in all of God's Word that says God's 4th commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day, don't you think you are taking a bit of a gamble with your salvation worshipping God on the wrong day of the week? Something to think about.
Blah, blah, blah. So here's how I see it: I can either trust some random person I meet online for guidance regarding my salvation or else I can trust the Holy Ghost, who has confirmed to me that God is fully accepting of how I choose to worship Him. As hard as it may be for you to understand, I think that I'm going to go with the Holy Ghost and set aside every seventh day as a day of rest and worship. Take care! I'll see you in Heaven.

3rdAngel

Blah, blah, blah. So here's how I see it: I can either trust some random person I meet online for guidance regarding my salvation or else I can trust the Holy Ghost, who has confirmed to me that God is fully accepting of how I choose to worship Him. As hard as it may be for you to understand, I think that I'm going to go with the Holy Ghost and set aside every seventh day as a day of rest and worship. Take care! I'll see you in Heaven.

According to God's Word (not mine), God only gives the Holy Spirit to those who obey him...

ACTS 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God has given to them that obey him.

If you are breaking God's 4th Commandment do you have the Holy Spirit or does the person who is believing and obeying God' Word have the Holy Spirit?

According to God's Word (not mine) God's Spirit is the Spirit of the Word of truth *JOHN 6:63; JOHN 17:17 and those who worship God must worship him in Spirit and in truth *JOHN 4:24. So with the above in mind how do we know that we know God and have his Spirit?

1 JOHN 2:3-4 [3], And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. [4], He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

It is only those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's Word that have God's Spirit..

JOHN 14:15, [15] If you love me, keep my commandments. [16], And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; [17], Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you.

Those who profess to believe and know God but do not follow what God's Word says the scriptures say are liars *1 JOHN 2:3-4 and will not enter the kingdom of Heaven..

MATTHEW 7:22-26 [22], Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works? [23], And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity (SIN). [24], Therefore whoever hears these sayings of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, which built his house on a rock: [25], And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell not: for it was founded on a rock. [26], And every one that hears these sayings of mine, and does them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, which built his house on the sand: [27], And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

No one is going to Heaven if they do not beleive and follow God's Word because the wages of sin is death to all those who reject the gift of God's dear son *HEBREWS 10:26-39; ROMANS 6:23. According to the scriptures, SIN (breaking any one of God's 10 commandments) *JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4 is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 JOHN 3:6-10.

With the above scriptures in mind if someone knowingly breaks God's 4th commandment, do they have God's Spirit? Who do you believe and follow; God or man?

May you receive God's Word and be blessed.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
May you receive God's Word and be blessed.
I have received God's word and have most definitely been blessed beyond measure. You might want to consider getting off your self-righteous high-horse and spending some time working on getting that enormous mote out of your eye. It's blinding you.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

I have received God's word and have most definitely been blessed beyond measure. You might want to consider getting off your self-righteous high-horse and spending some time working on getting that enormous mote out of your eye. It's blinding you.

You have only been provided God's Word and God's Word is not my words but God's. In response you provide your own words to deny God's Word that has been shared with you. If I have only shared God's Word with you why do you not believe it? According to the scriptures, only God's Word is true *ROMANS 3:4 and we should beleive and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God *MATTHEW 15:3-9; ACTS 5:29. Ignoring God's Word does not make it disappear it will be our judge come judgment day *JOHN 12:47-48. Does this not worry you? It should *HEBREWS 10:26-39

God's Sheep hear His Voice (the Word) and follow him *JOHN 10:26-27

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You have only been provided God's Word and God's Word is not my words but God's. In response you provide your own words to deny God's Word that has been shared with you. If I have only shared God's Word with you why do you not believe it? According to the scriptures, only God's Word is true *ROMANS 3:4 and we should beleive and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God *MATTHEW 15:3-9; ACTS 5:29. Ignoring God's Word does not make it disappear it will be our judge come judgment day *JOHN 12:47-48. Does this not worry you? It should *HEBREWS 10:26-39

God's Sheep hear His Voice (the Word) and follow him *JOHN 10:26-27
Nothing you have said worries me. You're not God. (Surprise, surprise)

rstrats

Faithofchristian,
re: "...we rest in Jesus Christ now."

What did you use to do that you are now resting from doing?

3rdAngel

Faithofchristian,
re: "...we rest in Jesus Christ now."

What did you use to do that you are now resting from doing?

It is not biblical as he is trying to say JESUS is the SABBATH but the scripture define the SABBATH as the seventh day of the week *EXODUS 20:10 and that JESUS is the creator of it that he made for all mankind. *MARK 2:27-28

3rdAngel

WHAT DAY IS THE "LORD'S DAY" ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?

A.
MATTHEW 12:8 [8], For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Which day is the Lord's Day? THE SABBATH DAY (MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28)

God's WORD says that the SABBATH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY!

There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day. God's Word says the Lord's day is the Sabbath day. This is the day God rested on, he set apart and made a Holy day at the completion of the creation week and made a memorial for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus is the God of creation and he is the Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27-28)

Can you show from the scriptures alone that Sunday is "THE LORDS DAY" if not why not? If we cannot are we following man made teachings that break the commandments of God that JESUS warns us about in Matthew 15:3-9?

May God bless you all as you seek him through his Word.

3rdAngel

There is no scripture that says "SUNDAY is "THE LORDS DAY" this is a man made teaching that is not biblical which has lead many to break God's 4th commandment which is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Q. WHAT DAY IS THE "LORD'S DAY" ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?

A.
MATTHEW 12:8 [8], For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Which day is the Lord's Day? THE SABBATH DAY (MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28)

God's WORD says that the SABBATH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY!

There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day. God's Word says the Lord's day is the Sabbath day. This is the day God rested on, he set apart and made a Holy day at the completion of the creation week and made a memorial for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus is the God of creation and he is the Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27-28)

Can you show from the scriptures alone that Sunday is "THE LORDS DAY" if not why not? If we cannot are we following man made teachings that break the commandments of God that JESUS warns us about in Matthew 15:3-9?

May God bless you all as you seek him through his Word.
I suppose you didn’t know that the first Christians went to synagogue on Saturday, because they were observant Jews. then, they also celebrated the Resurrection on the first day of the week (according to the Bible, the day of the Resurrection).

The Bible makes clear that Gentiles don’t have to be observant Jews in order to enjoy the benefits of being Christian. The commandment concerning Shabbat is a Jewish observance — not a Gentile observance. There is scripture that alludes to Sunday as the Lord’s day. And there is also scripture that implies that we Gentiles don’t have to observe Shabbat.

Status
Not open for further replies.