• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LORD is my shepherd

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
My starting point in this thread is a syllogism. Feel free to post your thoughts on its logic and validity.

Here we go:

The LORD (YHWH) is my shepherd [Psalm 23:1]
Jesus Christ is my shepherd [John 10:14]
Therefore, Jesus Christ is the LORD [John 20:28]

My vote?

In order for the syllogism to be True is needs a qualifier: see below.

If the Book of John and The Book of Psalms is true then... Jesus Christ is the LORD, because,
The LORD (YHWH) is my shepherd [Psalm 23:1] AND Jesus Christ is my shepherd [John 10:1]​

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My starting point in this thread is a syllogism. Feel free to post your thoughts on its logic and validity.

Here we go:

Circular reasoning, weak evidence, very poor argument overall.

Redemptionsong

My vote?

In order for the syllogism to be True is needs a qualifier: see below.

If the Book of John and The Book of Psalms is true then... Jesus Christ is the LORD, because,
The LORD (YHWH) is my shepherd [Psalm 23:1] AND Jesus Christ is my shepherd [John 10:1]​
Yes, l agree

There are, of course, other significant passages that can be added to the mix.

Ezekiel 34:23. 'And l will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.'

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, l agree

There are, of course, other significant passages that can added to the mix.

Ezekiel 34:23. 'And l will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.'
It says 'he' not 'G-d'. There can be more than one shepherd, after all. The next verse even says as much,

'And I, the LORD, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them. I am the LORD; I have spoken.'

There is the shepherd and there is G-d.

If I have a human master but I also call G-d my Master, is my human master also G-d? Heaven forbid.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Here we go:

That doesn't follow. I could substitute the Flying Spaghetti monster, Satan, or my cat in that syllogism. See the problem?

But if the lord is your shepherd, and Jesus is your shepherd, then it might be concluded that you are a sheep....

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

It says 'he' not 'G-d'. There can be more than one shepherd, after all. The next verse even says as much,

'And I, the LORD, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them. I am the LORD; I have spoken.'

There is the shepherd and there is G-d.

If I have a human master but I also call G-d my Master, is my human master also G-d? Heaven forbid.

If the LORD sets up the Lord as shepherd on earth, which Lord (LORD) is Psalm 23 addressed to?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes, l agree

There are, of course, other significant passages that can be added to the mix.

write them out, you'll see they all require belief in the NT in order to be true.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My starting point in this thread is a syllogism. Feel free to post your thoughts on its logic and validity. Here we go:
The LORD (YHWH) is my shepherd [Psalms 23:1]
Why just mention verse 28 when Jesus already stated at John 20:17 that he will ascend to his Father, and to his God.
Then, the resurrected ascended-to-heaven still thinks he has a God over him as per Revelation 3:12; Hebrews 9:24.

Jesus is both shepherd and king over the figurative humble ' sheep ' at the soon coming time of separation as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40

Besides Psalms 23, I notice at Psalms 110 there are two (2) LORD/Lord's mentioned.(KJV)
The LORD in all Upper-Case letters stands for LORD GOD (Tetragrammaton YHWH)
The other Lord in some lower-case letters stands for Lord Jesus ( Tetragrammaton never applied to Lord Jesus )
- 2 Thessalonians 1:2

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If the LORD sets up the Lord as shepherd on earth, which Lord (LORD) is Psalm 23 addressed to?

David also wrote in prophesy about the Messiah....so compare these two translations where only one uses God’s name.....

Psalm 110:1-2...
Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool. Jehovah will send forth the rod of thy strength out of Zion: Rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.” (ASV)

The Lord says to my Lord: “ Sit at My right hand Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.” The Lord will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying, “ Rule in the midst of Your enemies.” (NASB)

Can you see where confusion starts when translators remove God’s name and substitute a title?...one that is used for others in the scriptures....? There are two “Lords” but only one is Jehovah.

Who is David’s “Lord”? Jehovah is speaking to David’s “Lord” telling him to wait “at his right hand” (a position of second in command) until he makes his enemies his footstool. It is Jehovah who provides the strength for his Messiah to rule “in the midst of his enemies”.....which he is doing right now.

Titles are not names. Jesus is “Lord” but he is not Jehovah.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But man is three parts also (spirit, soul and body) but still one......................................
I can't find anywhere where Adam was three (3) parts.
Adam's 'formed' body became a living soul (a living person) only after God breathed the 'breath of life' into Adam's lifeless body - according to Genesis 2:7
In Scripture, one's spirit is a neuter "IT" according to Ecclesiastes 12:7 B

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I can't find anywhere where Adam was three (3) parts.
Adam's 'formed' body became a living soul (a living person) only after God breathed the 'breath of life' into Adam's lifeless body - according to Genesis 2:7
In Scripture, one's spirit is a neuter "IT" according to Ecclesiastes 12:7 B
he was made of clay, The breath of life (spirit) was blown into him and he became a living soul

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The Lord - singular
your God - Eloyhim - plural representing the three
Lord is one - but one Lord

It seems that this argument is without foundation.....here’s why...

The Hebrew word ʼelo·himʹ (gods) appears to be from a root meaning “be strong.” ʼElo·himʹ is the plural of ʼelohʹah (god). Sometimes this plural refers to a number of gods (Genesis 31:30,32 Genesis 35:2) but more often it is used as a plural of majesty, dignity, or excellence. ʼElo·himʹ is used in the Scriptures with reference to Jehovah himself, to angels, to idol gods (singular and plural), and to men, so it is not proving a trinity.

When applying to Jehovah, ʼElo·himʹ is used as a plural of majesty, dignity, or excellence. (Genesis 1:1) The royal “WE” speaks of plurality in greatness, or superiority, not in multiplicity.

Since “eloh’ah” means “gods”, the trinity is suggesting not three “persons”, but three “gods”....which is polytheism.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It seems that this argument is without foundation.....here’s why...

The Hebrew word ʼelo·himʹ (gods) appears to be from a root meaning “be strong.” ʼElo·himʹ is the plural of ʼelohʹah (god). Sometimes this plural refers to a number of gods (Genesis 31:30,32 Genesis 35:2) but more often it is used as a plural of majesty, dignity, or excellence. ʼElo·himʹ is used in the Scriptures with reference to Jehovah himself, to angels, to idol gods (singular and plural), and to men, so it is not proving a trinity.

When applying to Jehovah, ʼElo·himʹ is used as a plural of majesty, dignity, or excellence. (Genesis 1:1) The royal “WE” speaks of plurality in greatness, or superiority, not in multiplicity.

Since “eloh’ah” means “gods”, the trinity is suggesting not three “persons”, but three “gods”....which is polytheism.
No. no more that me being a spirit with a soul and living in a body makes me a polyhumanism.

In this case it is translated God - in plurality of existence yet one