• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The longest fish in the world

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The Oarfish generally grows to be as long as a two-storie house is high. They live at the very bottom of the ocean and rarely end up anywhere near the surface.

2pzipo1.jpg

3582f41.jpg

In the water, they swim with their bodies aligned vertically:

2a8kzh0.jpg

They have a mouth that stretches out like an elephant's trunk to snap up small prey, but normally that mouth is stored inside its body - it only shoots out to catch prey.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Gentoo said:
That is a big fish... do you know the scientific name? Anything else about it?

For those who are curious (or who realize that animals are their life... *ahem):

Oarfish are large, greatly elongated, pelagic Lampriform fish comprising the small family Regalecidae. Found in all temperate to tropical oceans yet rarely seen, the oarfish family contains four species in two genera. One of these, the king of herrings (Regalecus glesne), is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest bony fish alive, at up to 11 metres in length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oarfish

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Fish are opportunistic feeders. I would guess that these guys are vertical and looking for a dark spot above them (blocking the light) and then their mouth extends to suck in their prey. Their eyes do not seem adapted to extreme depths (not near as big as a squid). The undulating dorsal fin is typical for any fish with such a long fin and especially if they have no tail fin.

I would love to see one in real life. But I don't dive quite that deep! :D