• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The logos. "In the beginning was English and math".

David T

Premium Member
Since reality for most starts with their cranium I would like to know how English and math formed the cosmos? Certainly religion insists upon emglish, maybe Latin, and certainly theoretical mathematicians say balderdash math, which one it is it both?4433355

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
English is definitely a "later arrival" linguistically, and itself being derived from German. I do not get this "balderdash math" because math is not balderdash, but rather one of the very few methods we have for determining objective facts. It also especially helps when math pretty much proves and supports itself.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
English is definitely a "later arrival" linguistically, and itself being derived from German. I do not get this "balderdash math" because math is not balderdash, but rather one of the very few methods we have for determining objective facts. It also especially helps when math pretty much proves and supports itself.
Germanic, not German :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Germanic, not German :)
It is a Germanic language that is derived from German. Lexiconically English did pick up a ton of French, and a good deal of Spanish at least for American-English (not sure about British-English given America has much common "cowboy jargon" that is directly taken from Spanish), but we still have a ton of words in English that are still very similar, if not nearly identical, to their German counterparts, our verbs conjugate and function much in the same way (such as -ed being the common weak verb ending in both languages), and we even have similar cases, although English speakers (again, at least in America) tend to not utilize them or depend on them as much as Germans.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It is a Germanic language that is derived from German. Lexiconically English did pick up a ton of French, and a good deal of Spanish at least for American-English (not sure about British-English given America has much common "cowboy jargon" that is directly taken from Spanish), but we still have a ton of words in English that are still very similar, if not nearly identical, to their German counterparts, our verbs conjugate and function much in the same way (such as -ed being the common weak verb ending in both languages), and we even have similar cases, although English speakers (again, at least in America) tend to not utilize them or depend on them as much as Germans.
Not from German, it's from Saxon. German and English forked from a common Germanic tongue. Englisc and the various German dialects are not the same.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Objection: Math cannot prove itself, but it is true in some important contexts.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Math is something everybody deserves to learn, but most people do not get the chance to learn more than a little.