• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Life of Adam and Eve

ThirtyThree

Recently, I have been reading one of the books in The Old Testament pseudepigrapha: The Life of Adam and Eve.

My attention is drawn to:

Also, keep in mind "worship" refers to "bow", not literal worship that I know of.

X

But Eve heard and believed and went out of the water of the river, and her flesh was (trembling) like grass, from the chill of the water. And when she had gone out, she fell on the earth and the devil raised her up and led her to Adam. But when Adam had seen her and the devil with her, he wept and cried aloud and said: 'O Eve, Eve, where is the labour of thy penitence? How hast thou been again ensnared by our adversary, by whose means we have been estranged from our abode in paradise and spiritual joy?'

XI

And when she heard this, Eve understood that (it was) the devil (who) had persuaded her to go out of the river; and she fell on her face on the earth and her sorrow and groaning and wailing was redoubled. And she cried out and said: 'Woe unto thee, thou devil. Why dost thou attack us for no cause? What hast thou to do with us? What have we done to thee? for thou pursuest us with craft? Or why doth thy malice assail us? Have we taken away thy glory and caused thee to be without honour? Why dost thou harry us, thou enemy (and persecute us) to the death in wickedness and envy?'

XII

And with a heavy sigh, the devil spake: 'O Adam! all my hostility, envy, and sorrow is for thee, since it is for thee that I have been expelled from my glory, which I possessed in the heavens in the midst of the angels and for thee was I cast out in the earth.' Adam answered, 'What dost thou tell me? What have I done to thee or what is my fault against thee? Seeing that thou hast received no harm or injury from us, why dost thou pursue us?'

XIII

The devil replied, 'Adam, what dost thou tell me? It is for thy sake that I have been hurled from that place. When thou wast formed, I was hurled out of the presence of God and banished from the company of the angels. When God blew into thee the breath of life and thy face and likeness was made in the image of God, Michael also brought thee and made (us) worship thee in the sight of God; and God the Lord spake: Here is Adam. I have made thee in our image and likeness.'

XIV

And Michael went out and called all the angels saying: 'Worship the image of God as the Lord God hath commanded.' And Michael himself worshipped first; then he called me and said: 'Worship the image of God the Lord.' And I answered, 'I have no (need) to worship Adam.' And since Michael kept urging me to worship, I said to him, 'Why dost thou urge me? I will not worship an inferior and younger being (than I). I am his senior in the Creation, before he was made was I already made. It is his duty to worship me.'

XIV

When the angels who were under me heard this, they refused to worship him. And Michael saith, 'Worship the image of God, but if thou wilt not worship him, the Lord God will be wrath with thee.' And I said, 'If He be wrath with me, I will set my seat above the stars of heaven and will be like the Highest.'

XVI

And God the Lord was wrath with me and banished me and my angels from our glory; and on thy account were we expelled from our abodes into this world and hurled on the earth. And straight Away we were overcome with grief, since we had been spoiled of so great glory. And we were grieved when we saw thee in such joy and luxury. And with guile I cheated thy wife and caused thee to be expelled through her (doing) from thy joy and luxury, as I have been driven out of my glory.

XVII

When Adam heard the devil say this, he cried out and wept and spake: 'O Lord my God, my life is in thy hands. Banish this Adversary far from me, who seeketh to destroy my soul, and give me his glory which he himself hath lost.' And at that moment, the devil vanished before him. But Adam endured in his penance, standing for forty days (on end) in the water of Jordan.

My attention is drawn to this because it parallels the story in the Quran about Iblis, who was told to prostrate himself before Adam as well. While I do not tend to read too much into the Quran for various reasons, this story rings extremely true, yet is no where to be seen in the New Testament of the Bible. I question why?

I also question why angels would be told to worship Adam. It says this was because Adam is made in the image of god. Might someone give an interpretation?

Last edited:
I believe in the literal six day creation (research Kent Hovin for evidence) but I don't believe this story is factual.

To bow or prostrate oneself could be a sign of humility since angels were created to serve man.

ThirtyThree

I believe in the literal six day creation (research Kent Hovin for evidence) but I don't believe this story is factual.

To bow or prostrate oneself could be a sign of humility since angels were created to serve man.

Angels were created to serve man? Where did you get that? Perhaps they were rephrased to serve man. Created for?

As for the literal six day creation, I am not even going to debate that. It would be like debating that the Earth is not flat.

Angels were created to serve man? Where did you get that? Perhaps they were rephrased to serve man. Created for?

As for the literal six day creation, I am not even going to debate that. It would be like debating that the Earth is not flat.
Aha. Go research Kent Hovin. I use to feel the same way.

psychoslice

Veteran Member

It depends on what six days mean, I certainly don't believe in a literal six days, that is just impossible, but it is a nice little story with a nice little metaphor.

roger1440

I do stuff
Recently, I have been reading one of the books in The Old Testament pseudepigrapha: The Life of Adam and Eve.

Also, keep in mind "worship" refers to "bow", not literal worship that I know of.

X

But Eve heard and believed and went out of the water of the river, and her flesh was (trembling) like grass, from the chill of the water. And when she had gone out, she fell on the earth and the devil raised her up and led her to Adam. But when Adam had seen her and the devil with her, he wept and cried aloud and said: 'O Eve, Eve, where is the labour of thy penitence? How hast thou been again ensnared by our adversary, by whose means we have been estranged from our abode in paradise and spiritual joy?'

XI

And when she heard this, Eve understood that (it was) the devil (who) had persuaded her to go out of the river; and she fell on her face on the earth and her sorrow and groaning and wailing was redoubled. And she cried out and said: 'Woe unto thee, thou devil. Why dost thou attack us for no cause? What hast thou to do with us? What have we done to thee? for thou pursuest us with craft? Or why doth thy malice assail us? Have we taken away thy glory and caused thee to be without honour? Why dost thou harry us, thou enemy (and persecute us) to the death in wickedness and envy?'

XII

And with a heavy sigh, the devil spake: 'O Adam! all my hostility, envy, and sorrow is for thee, since it is for thee that I have been expelled from my glory, which I possessed in the heavens in the midst of the angels and for thee was I cast out in the earth.' Adam answered, 'What dost thou tell me? What have I done to thee or what is my fault against thee? Seeing that thou hast received no harm or injury from us, why dost thou pursue us?'

XIII

The devil replied, 'Adam, what dost thou tell me? It is for thy sake that I have been hurled from that place. When thou wast formed, I was hurled out of the presence of God and banished from the company of the angels. When God blew into thee the breath of life and thy face and likeness was made in the image of God, Michael also brought thee and made (us) worship thee in the sight of God; and God the Lord spake: Here is Adam. I have made thee in our image and likeness.'

XIV

And Michael went out and called all the angels saying: 'Worship the image of God as the Lord God hath commanded.' And Michael himself worshipped first; then he called me and said: 'Worship the image of God the Lord.' And I answered, 'I have no (need) to worship Adam.' And since Michael kept urging me to worship, I said to him, 'Why dost thou urge me? I will not worship an inferior and younger being (than I). I am his senior in the Creation, before he was made was I already made. It is his duty to worship me.'

XIV

When the angels who were under me heard this, they refused to worship him. And Michael saith, 'Worship the image of God, but if thou wilt not worship him, the Lord God will be wrath with thee.' And I said, 'If He be wrath with me, I will set my seat above the stars of heaven and will be like the Highest.'

XVI

And God the Lord was wrath with me and banished me and my angels from our glory; and on thy account were we expelled from our abodes into this world and hurled on the earth. And straight Away we were overcome with grief, since we had been spoiled of so great glory. And we were grieved when we saw thee in such joy and luxury. And with guile I cheated thy wife and caused thee to be expelled through her (doing) from thy joy and luxury, as I have been driven out of my glory.

XVII

When Adam heard the devil say this, he cried out and wept and spake: 'O Lord my God, my life is in thy hands. Banish this Adversary far from me, who seeketh to destroy my soul, and give me his glory which he himself hath lost.' And at that moment, the devil vanished before him. But Adam endured in his penance, standing for forty days (on end) in the water of Jordan.

My attention is drawn to this because it parallels the story in the Quran about Iblis, who was told to prostrate himself before Adam as well. While I do not tend to read too much into the Quran for various reasons, this story rings extremely true, yet is no where to be seen in the New Testament of the Bible. I question why?

I also question why angels would be told to worship Adam. It says this was because Adam is made in the image of god. Might someone give an interpretation?
To debate scripture you must start with scripture. It's a no-brainer.

outhouse

Atheistically
(research Kent Hovin for evidence)

Why do you want people to follow known garbage?

That site is worse then not credible, it factually teaches lies and misrepresents real scientific data with apologetic rhetoric.

Not only that he is a known criminal, how can you even claim to be religious and represent a criminal?

This is not the right place for a evolution and creation debate. If you went real evidence of an early earth and dinosaurs walking with man research Kent Hovind Seminar on Youtube.

moorea944

X

XI

XII

XIII

XIV

XIV

XVI

XVII

Angels weren't told to worship Adam. We were also made in the image and likeness of God (Elohim), not just Adam

Unification

X

XI

XII

XIII

XIV

XIV

XVI

XVII

The life of "Adam," "Eve," and the "serpent" are about YOUR life and your central nervous system and conscious experiences.
Not literal or historical.

The garden is your entire nervous system composed of nerves...

Adam is your brain/conscious.
Eve is your heart/subconscious.
The snake is your belly/ego.

It is your multiple personalities warring within. The further they are imbalanced, separated, and not working in harmony... the further from paradise(peace, happiness) one will be.

Angels are light/energy bringers, in which case you have 12 pairs of cranial nerves that bring light to your Adam(conscious/brain)

There are also many other organs and nerves in which are bringers of light/energy.

Adam is your intellect, better judgement, reason, logic, common sense. It is made in the image of good.

The belly/gut doesn't want to pay reverance to intellect, better judgement, reason, logic, and common sense because it is dictated by emotion. Because of the d-EVIL in one.

There is a good and a bad "Adam."
There is a good and a bad "Eve."
There is a good and a bad "serpent."

It is also why the conscious mind is in charge of the subconscious mind. What we think, we become.

A son is a thought. A daughter is an emotion. Mankind has become wicked because they dabble with the daughters of man(emotions of mankind)

The children/descendants of "Adam" and "Eve" and the "serpent" are not literal descendants and children... they are seeds of knowledge, thoughts, emotions occurring within the human body.

When one stills the mind and goes beyond intellect, wisdom is brought by the light bringers.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Aha. Go research Kent Hovin. I use to feel the same way.
Don't you mean Dr. Kent Hovind? After all he did get a PhD from

330px-PatriotU_Crop.jpg
patriotuniv1.jpg
PBU-Building.jpg

......Patriot Bible University

Here is an introduction to Hovind's "Dissertation for doctor of Philosophy in Christian Education." Tell you anything?

Last edited:

ThirtyThree

The life of "Adam," "Eve," and the "serpent" are about YOUR life and your central nervous system and conscious experiences.
Not literal or historical.

The garden is your entire nervous system composed of nerves...

Adam is your brain/conscious.
Eve is your heart/subconscious.
The snake is your belly/ego.

It is your multiple personalities warring within. The further they are imbalanced, separated, and not working in harmony... the further from paradise(peace, happiness) one will be.

Angels are light/energy bringers, in which case you have 12 pairs of cranial nerves that bring light to your Adam(conscious/brain)

There are also many other organs and nerves in which are bringers of light/energy.

Adam is your intellect, better judgement, reason, logic, common sense. It is made in the image of good.

The belly/gut doesn't want to pay reverance to intellect, better judgement, reason, logic, and common sense because it is dictated by emotion. Because of the d-EVIL in one.

There is a good and a bad "Adam."
There is a good and a bad "Eve."
There is a good and a bad "serpent."

It is also why the conscious mind is in charge of the subconscious mind. What we think, we become.

A son is a thought. A daughter is an emotion. Mankind has become wicked because they dabble with the daughters of man(emotions of mankind)

The children/descendants of "Adam" and "Eve" and the "serpent" are not literal descendants and children... they are seeds of knowledge, thoughts, emotions occurring within the human body.

When one stills the mind and goes beyond intellect, wisdom is brought by the light bringers.

That has to be one of the most absurd interpretations of the story of Adam and Eve I have ever had the displeasure of reading. I want my two minutes back!

ThirtyThree

"Young Earth" belief is about as insane as:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

It really disturbs me that there are still people out there who believe the Earth is flat. I have met one offline and three online to date.

Then, one of my hobbies is Photoshop. Perhaps I am one of the professionals NASA hired to fabricate images of fake round planets!