• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Leftist 'No Religion' agenda on the census

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes.

But my nana and dad put 'Anglican' even though they're not.

I can't think of why they'd do this at all. It's just going to skew the results and make the whole religious aspect of the census worthless, because so many Brits do this. I can't think why they would, so I can only assume they want to sabotage the results or something.

We are of like mind.
I would say people of an older generation here would tend to answer based on 'how they were raised'.

My Dad would put CoE, despite being mildly anti-religious, somewhere between deist and agnostic.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Were 'fooled' by the deviously-worded question ‘What is your religion?’ followed by boxes containing the names of religions and another for 'no religion'?
No!
But many people were Christened into (say) CofE and have now lapsed and do not believe or attend church BUT because they were christened they tick CofE

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Yes.

But my nana and dad put 'Anglican' even though they're not.

I can't think of why they'd do this at all. It's just going to skew the results and make the whole religious aspect of the census worthless, because so many Brits do this. I can't think why they would, so I can only assume they want to sabotage the results or something.

It is a CofE priests duty, to care for the souls of everyone in his parish of what ever religion or none.
Everyone falls under the duty of care of the Church of England. in the UK.
Anyone can attend a CofE service. Though I have noticed that not all Anglican churches will now baptise the children of, or marry non church goers.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It is a CofE priests duty, to care for the souls of everyone in his parish of what ever religion or none.
This doesn't mean they're Christians. The question is 'What is your religion?'.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

I am pretty sure that many people do not understand the question that way. and just tick C of E and would claim to be Christian even though they hold no actual beliefs. Perhaps a better question would be what church denomination or religious place of worship do you attend, with a space for none. this would perhaps be more informative.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I am pretty sure that many people do not understand the question that way. and just tick C of E and would claim to be Christian even though they hold no actual beliefs. Perhaps a better question would be what church denomination or religious place of worship do you attend, with a space for none. this would perhaps be more informative.
How on earth is 'What is your religion' a hard question? It's the most straightforward way of asking that question. Going to a church doesn't make one a Christian either. This isn't about one's cultural habits or norms. It's about one's beliefs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Anyone can attend a CofE service. Though I have noticed that not all Anglican churches will now baptise the children of, or marry non church goers.
The fact that a particular church would try to insert itself into the lives of non-members does not magically turn those non-members into members.

HonestJoe

This article does a good job of explaining the issues with the common census question (obviously a biased source but the core facts stated are accurate); 2021 Census to continue to use leading religion question

The ultimate issue is the distinction between what the people answering the question think it means and what people interpreting the results think it means. There will be some people from all sides who want to try to manipulate that to support their preferred angle but I don't think most of the objections are about simply wanting to get accurate and honest results (albeit accurate and honest results would almost certainly support the non-religious angle).

Justanatheist

I do not understand why they ask about religious beliefs, I can't think of another question on the UK census that asked about beliefs. Yet another example of religion being given special status.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
No!
But many people were Christened into (say) CofE and have now lapsed and do not believe or attend church BUT because they were christened they tick CofE
Is there a way to renounce membership in the CoE? In my country as a lapsed Catholic, I filled out a form and have no longer been counted among the faithful since, both in the literal and figurative sense.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is there a way to renounce membership in the CoE? In my country as a lapsed Catholic, I filled out a form and have no longer been counted among the faithful since, both in the literal and figurative sense.
I think there is a way to write to Church of England and ask to be 'un-baptised' - not sure, I was baptised but haven't been to church (apart from ceremonies) since I was about 13/14

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is there any explanatory text, or is the only guidance the question itself?

The Canadian census has been criticized for the instructions it puts on this question, since it tends to artificially decrease the number of people reporting "no religion":

What is this person’s religion?
Indicate a specific denomination or religion even if this person is not currently a practising member of that group.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I can't really think of another reason to lie on a census unless one wants to for some reason deliberately sabotage the results. It takes just as much effort to put 'Anglican' as it does 'None'. Even if they're not tying to deliberately sabotage, perhaps my wording is off, they know in any case that their lie is going to result in skewed statistics. What would be the good of this? What's the point?

It makes you wonder what practical use this information is. If less people choose CofE, are they going to close some churches? :p. And if its about funding for faith schools, wouldn't you want to know whether people were actively practising a particular religion?
More generally, I wonder about the relevance of a census in the information age. There's some vague guff about helping to planning services, but most of the relevant information is already held by government departments.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It makes you wonder what practical use this information is. If less people choose CofE, are they going to close dome churches? :p
More generally, I wonder about the relevance of a census in the information age. There's some vague guff about helping to planning services, but most of the relevant information is already held by government departments.
I think it's just interesting information to have for its own sake, and possibly just the tradition of it.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I think it's just interesting information to have for its own sake, and possibly just the tradition of it.

I'm always dubious about the idea of "information for its own sake", particularly when it costs a lot of money to collect it.
For example, I've been retired for a number of years, but still had to give a lot information about my last employment - I couldn't see the relevance.
Possibly some of the information collected will be useful to historians, but I doubt it's much use for planning purposes, which is given as the justification.

Last edited:
What is your religion? (This question is voluntary)

The devious religionistas even cunningly obscured the 'no religion' box by putting it right at the top where it is rendered unintelligible and people are bound to miss it anyway :mad:

images

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The devious religionistas even cunningly obscured the 'no religion' box by putting it right at the top where it is rendered unintelligible and people are bound to miss it anyway :mad:

images
How very... British.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A large number of C of E church goers are not on their church register, however they consider themselves Anglican. I do not know of any way to resign from the Anglican church. There is no need to. You could just stop going to church.