• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Left now says there's no such thing as a "woman"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Some of these things I just don’t know what to think since I’m not trans or nonbinary. In a situation like the Pat skit I would basically just see what androgynous or nonbinary or trans people would think and why.

I enjoyed the skits (I don’t even know when I would have watched SNL except maybe family vacations as watching TV at night was a thing, on this tiny little box TV). I don’t think they were intended to harm nonbinary people outright, but they were certainly not conscious of actual nonbinary people (even if the character wasn’t consciously nonbinary). It’s complicated. I would trust the affected people on their thoughts on whether it was harmful or not.
I think it's funny laughing at the character's awkwardness around and responses to Pat. Even when you're trans, when people can't tell they often do make arses of themselves. One fine example, I'm driving rideshare and pull up to where my passenger is. She gets a weird look on her face seeing me, looks down at the phone to see who's supposed to pick her up, looks back up at me, back down at the phone and then approaches my car to ask if I'm the one who's supposed to pick her up.
Another one, he went back and forth, couldn't decide, kept saying one, then another, then decides I'm female and that it's ok to touch me on the shoulder as he apologized for calling me sir.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think it's funny laughing at the character's awkwardness around and responses to Pat. Even when you're trans, when people can't tell they often do make arses of themselves. One fine example, I'm driving rideshare and pull up to where my passenger is. She gets a weird look on her face seeing me, looks down at the phone to see who's supposed to pick her up, looks back up at me, back down at the phone and then approaches my car to ask if I'm the one who's supposed to pick her up.
Another one, he went back and forth, couldn't decide, kept saying one, then another, then decides I'm female and that it's ok to touch me on the shoulder as he apologized for calling me sir.

While the uninvited touch is sucky, at least an effort was made, and an apology I guess!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
While the uninvited touch is sucky, at least an effort was made, and an apology I guess!
The cool part of it all, because it goes by drivers license this has me in "male mode," which is sucky, but a lot of passengers address me as female anyways with no prompting or asking (it's scary how many people don't even actually check to see who's picking them up).

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
We've advanced to the point where women
assault men on TV, & it's acceptable.

I wouldn’t call that an advancement, though context is needed. That’s not okay either.

Things happening as part of a drama telling a story is more nebulous, but casual jokes about domestic abuse are on or over the line

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I wouldn’t call that an advancement, though context is needed. That’s not okay either.

Things happening as part of a drama telling a story is more nebulous, but casual jokes about domestic abuse are on or over the line

And I’m not calling for state-sponsored censorship or anything; just giving my moral opinions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wouldn’t call that an advancement....
I was a wee bit sarchastic there.
.....though context is needed.
Context is usually the guy saying something offensive.
That’s not okay either.
I agree. But to a large extent, it's de facto OK,
given the lack of public objection.
What I find odd though, is that in a context of someone
having said the wrong thing, when women threaten to
beat men or other women, this is accepted, as is men
threatening to beat other men. Cop shows in particular
can have the good guy use prison to threaten sexual
violence against a male perp.
Only some kinds of wrongful violence are really taboo,
while others accepted.

I recall some specific events on shows, if needed.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I was a wee bit sarchastic there.

Context is usually the guy saying something offensive.

I agree. But to a large extent, it's de facto OK,
given the lack of public objection.

What I find odd though, is that in a context of someone
having said the wrong thing, when women threaten to
beat men or other women, this is accepted, as is men
threatening to beat other men. Cop shows in particular
can have the good guy use prison to threaten sexual
violence against a male perp.
Only some kinds of wrongful violence are really taboo,
while others accepted.

I recall some specific events on shows, if needed.

I know of what you speak. But this is why we do activism. When the culture is the problem we try to open hearts and minds. Not everybody does it well. I probably don’t sometimes. But we should try.

Earthtank

Do you refuse to honor trans peoples’ chosen name with the understanding that many trans people suffer from dysmorphia, and you’re actually adding to their suffering?

Yes, I refuse because in my opinion, that does nothing to fix whatever is wrong with them (such as gender dysphoria and possible other things) and it also goes against my personal belief/stance. They do not have to interact or speak with me if they can't get past my position and the same goes for me. No need to get rude or disrespectful, this can be civil exchange.

Is your principle or whatever you’re trying to hold on to worth causing people pain?

You are looking at from 1 side only. My intent is not to cause anyone pain but my if "standing my ground" has that unintended affect there is nothing I can do about it.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yes, I refuse because in my opinion, that does nothing to fix whatever is wrong with them (such as gender dysphoria and possible other things) and it also goes against my personal belief/stance. They do not have to interact or speak with me if they can't get past my position and the same goes for me. No need to get rude or disrespectful, this can be civil exchange.

You are looking at from 1 side only. My intent is not to cause anyone pain but my if "standing my ground" has that unintended affect there is nothing I can do about it.

Well, I don’t understand this choice (“standing ground” when it literally doesn’t harm you not to deadname people, yet it does harm them to deadname them). I don’t really respect this choice either, I think it’s selfish, I think it’s ignorant, I think it’s more harmful than whatever “good” may come from whatever principle is being “stood up for,” and I will defend trans folks if I see someone disregarding their pronouns or chosen name; especially to their face.

Just to be clear on my position here.

Earthtank

Well, I don’t understand this choice (“standing ground” when it literally doesn’t harm you not to deadname people, yet it does harm them to deadname them). I don’t really respect this choice either, I think it’s selfish, I think it’s ignorant, I think it’s more harmful than whatever “good” may come from whatever principle is being “stood up for,” and I will defend trans folks if I see someone disregarding their pronouns or chosen name; especially to their face.

Just to be clear on my position here.

Cool and that's your position and I am fine with it. Doesn't bother me however, instead of the ad hominem you could asked why how it affected me or my thoughts, if you truly cared. But, that's the main and constant theme I have noticed with people that feel the way you do is that they don't care about the other side nor care enough to ask to try and understand. I am not saying you have to ultimately agree with me but going from i don't understand straight to ad hominem show a lot about you and how disingenuous you truly are. Nice chatting with you

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Cool and that's your position and I am fine with it. Doesn't bother me however, instead of the ad hominem you could asked why how it affected me or my thoughts, if you truly cared. But, that's the main and constant theme I have noticed with people that feel the way you do is that they don't care about the other side nor care enough to ask to try and understand. I am not saying you have to ultimately agree with me but going from i don't understand straight to ad hominem show a lot about you and how disingenuous you truly are. Nice chatting with you
What are we supposed to think? You say you can respect transgender people, but you call it fantasy, refuse to use their name, claim transitioning doesn't help, and have rambled on about a lot of nonsense that science and medicine do not agree with. That's called disrespect.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

I didn’t attack you, I said this about a choice you made, and defended my reasons.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
You're still joking around to troll us, aren't you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, because as it pertains to trans people its not simply and only a name as it is with the guy named Ashley. With trans its comes with a whole lot more.
I don't understand your perspective on this.
A little exploration....
Let's say you knew Sam, who transitioned to a Sally.
Hormones, surgery, the whole shebang...now dressing as a female.
Would you refer to her with male, female, or neutral pronouns?

Let's say that Pat is non-binary, & requests gender neutral pronouns?
Would you accommodate them?

A final one....
Let's say that you've a friend who is an annoying clown
who insults you instead of discussing issues thoughtfully.
Would you waste time responding to them?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Additionally, we’ve established that you add to peoples’ suffering when you misgender or deadname them to their face (a thing you’ve implied you would do); whereas it doesn’t harm you at all to “humor them” (as it would be from your perspective).