• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Left now says there's no such thing as a "woman"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Before I answer that, I want to clarify my stance. Take Bruce Jenner for example, I would never refer to him as her or Kate for reasons that are ultimately irrelevant at the moment but, that is the final outcome. I would not disrespect him nor go about bullying him or whatever. If I ever ran into him and he said "It's Kate" my response would be along the lines of "Ok, it was nice meeting you" and be on my way. He can't force me to refer to him as a female nor can I force him to interact with me while I refer to him as a guy, and that is completely fine. In this case we have 2 opposing views that we each feel strongly about and that is fine, not everyone needs to accommodate everyone on everything.
You are being disrespectful by refusing to use her actual name and repeatedly referring to her as a him.
Respecting another doesn't include forcing your own stuff on others and forcing them into your boxes and ideas of what should be.

Earthtank

My name is Erin, but if I had bad memories attached to that name and I asked you to call me my middle name instead, would you squint at my driver’s license or birth certificate or something and say, “nope, says here your name’s Erin, Erin?”

Would you consider that too much of a courtesy to grant?

Before I answer that, I want to clarify my stance. Take Bruce Jenner for example, I would never refer to him as her or Kate for reasons that are ultimately irrelevant at the moment but, that is the final outcome. I would not disrespect him nor go about bullying him or whatever. If I ever ran into him and he said "It's Kate" my response would be along the lines of "Ok, it was nice meeting you" and be on my way. He can't force me to refer to him as a female nor can I force him to interact with me while I refer to him as a guy, and that is completely fine. In this case we have 2 opposing views that we each feel strongly about and that is fine, not everyone needs to accommodate everyone on everything.

With that said, in this (your) very particular situation (without know much more context) is actually irrelevant to what I was initially speaking about so, not sure I understand the purpose or connection here.

Earthtank

You are being disrespectful by refusing to use her actual name and repeatedly referring to her as a him.
Respecting another doesn't include forcing your own stuff on others and forcing them into your boxes and ideas of what should be.
Kettle calling the pot black

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Like, if someone's name is Richard Smith and asks to be called Mr. Smith and you decide to call him Dick anyways, that is being rude and disrespectful.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

With that said, in this (your) very particular situation (without know much more context) is actually irrelevant to what I was initially speaking about so, not sure I understand the purpose or connection here.

There are some cis-men whose names are Ashley (a name I’ve always been exposed to as a woman’s name).

If a male friend that was not trans asked you to call him by his new name, Ashley, would you honor your friend’s wish?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There are some cis-men whose names are Ashley (a name I’ve always been exposed to as a woman’s name).

If a male friend that was not trans asked you to call him by his new name, Ashley, would you honor your friend’s wish?
Nikki Six, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper, doesn't seem to me most people have a problem with it.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Nikki Six, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper, doesn't seem to me most people have a problem with it.

Right, that’s the point I’m trying to make. If he’s willing to honor a cis friend’s wish but not a trans friend’s wish re: names, then it’s not some noble “that’s not your name” standpoint: it’s just being a dick.

Earthtank

That would be super weird for since I never met a guy named Ashley. Not saying it does not exist. I have met guys and girls that have names that work both ways such as Robin, Tony, Alex and Reese just to name a few that come to mind. If I met a normal guy and he said his name was Ashley then, Yes i would call him by that name or even ask if he goes by another name. Do not try to confuse this with the whole transgender issue. This Ashley guy is not pretending to be a woman, its name he was given and living with it. He is asking for special treatment and nor is he asking me to go along with his fairytale that he is come kind of princess. He is a guy, that acts like a guy and is referred to as a guy and lives a normal guy life. If this Ashley guy came to me one day and started asking me to refer to him as a female, that's where I cross the line. It's not the name that is the issue, its everything else that goes along with playing along with the "I am a female" fairytale.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
That would be super weird for since I never met a guy named Ashley. Not saying it does not exist. I have met guys and girls that have names that work both ways such as Robin, Tony, Alex and Reese just to name a few that come to mind. If I met a normal guy and he said his name was Ashley then, Yes i would call him by that name or even ask if he goes by another name. Do not try to confuse this with the whole transgender issue. This Ashley guy is not pretending to be a woman, its name he was given and living with it. He is asking for special treatment and nor is he asking me to go along with his fairytale that he is come kind of princess. He is a guy, that acts like a guy and is referred to as a guy and lives a normal guy life. If this Ashley guy came to me one day and started asking me to refer to him as a female, that's where I cross the line. It's not the name that is the issue, its everything else that goes along with playing along with the "I am a female" fairytale.

To be clear, you say it’s not a name that’s an issue: so would you would honor a trans person’s chosen name?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To be clear, you say it’s not a name that’s an issue: so would you would honor a trans person’s chosen name?
He already said no with the Kaitlyn Jenner post.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
He already said no with the Kaitlyn Jenner post.

You know how many people unknowingly have chromosomal differences like XX men and Xy women?

I don’t really advocate misgendering people; but it would be interesting if in some universe, all the transphobes with this that didn’t know this about themselves found out about it, and everyone they knew started calling them pronouns that don’t fit them, see how they like it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was just reminded of one guy here (he wasnt around long), very transphobic, says trans people weird him out, and he starts hitting on me over PM.:laughing:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You know how many people unknowingly have chromosomal differences like XX men and Xy women?
Probably more than I know of. But I've never looked into the number.
Standards of chromosomes are just unrealistic and not viable in the long run.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"its pat" skit was offensive? or are you talking about something else? If yes, I am wondering how. The home alone chick (forgot her name) behind the register did her best to try and assist Pat
The skit caught no grief back in the day (that I know of),
but these days I'll wager that SNL wouldn't dare do it.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
The skit caught no grief back in the day (that I know of),
but these days I'll wager that SNL wouldn't dare do it.

Some of these things I just don’t know what to think since I’m not trans or nonbinary. In a situation like the Pat skit I would basically just see what androgynous or nonbinary or trans people would think and why.

I enjoyed the skits (I don’t even know when I would have watched SNL except maybe family vacations as watching TV at night was a thing, on this tiny little box TV). I don’t think they were intended to harm nonbinary people outright, but they were certainly not conscious of actual nonbinary people (even if the character wasn’t consciously nonbinary). It’s complicated. I would trust the affected people on their thoughts on whether it was harmful or not.

Earthtank

No, because as it pertains to trans people its not simply and only a name as it is with the guy named Ashley. With trans its comes with a whole lot more.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
No, because as it pertains to trans people its not simply and only a name as it is with the guy named Ashley. With trans its comes with a whole lot more.

Do you refuse to honor trans peoples’ chosen name with the understanding that many trans people suffer from dysmorphia, and you’re actually adding to their suffering?

Is your principle or whatever you’re trying to hold on to worth causing people pain?