• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The leaders of liberalism

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
For modern liberals.

In recent months I have conducted numerous debates with conservatives and libertarians over the issue of modern-day liberalism/progressivism. These conferences, not limited to the internet, were about different aspects of modern liberalism: foreign policy, civil rights, tolerance, economic policy, and progressivism. Libertarians and conservatives generally share the same beliefs in regard to letting the economy be run without government oversight. Also, liberals usually have a much calmer approach to foreign policy. In these ways liberalism can be seen as a threat. Since the differences between these three standing philosophies can easily be looked up, I'll leave out our *faults* for another thread :p .

The purpose of this thread was to discuss liberal leaders. As we all know the modern liberal philosophy is not without prominent proponents: George Orwell, Martin Luther King Jr., FDR, Frank Herbert, Ghandi, John Kennedy, and Einstein are respectable names that have fought for key tenants of liberal philosophy, including but not limited to social tolerance, safety nets, anti-imperialism, environmentalism, and progressive thought.

However, since the early 70s, American liberals have been without clear leaders in thought. As I indicated in the other thread, the pendelum has largely been on the side of rugged individualism for the past 30 years. Where we made great progress in the 60s, the New Left lost part of itself with the death of Bobby Kennedy and MLK. Instead we're now represented by the likes of Rosie O'Donnel and Al Sharpton.

I was wondering if anyone agrees that the liberal movement has been without clear leaders for such a longer period of time? I realize that this is just part of history's many lessons: the workers movement of the early 20th century began to fall apart during the war and booming 20s.

nutshell

Al Sharpton is a fake liberal and no one should want him for a leader.

Currently, I think Al Gore has the potential to become the next liberal leader. It all depends on what the country decides to do about planet earth.