• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lazarus Effect

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I'm not sure what your point is, but this has always been something that occurs.

Google safety coffins, or the phrases 'dead ringer' or 'saved by the bell'
yes, i'm aware that this is nothing new given the inference to lazarus.

shouldn't a deceased person have the consciousness of a newborn baby after being re-animated after an extended period to a lack of oxygen and being determined brain dead?

so what's going on?

Gunshot victims to be suspended between life and death

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
"Clinical death" isn't quite the same thing as actual brain death. Clinical death is generally believed to occur at the point vital functions (lungs and heart) cease to function entirely. However, technically, a person can have non-functioning lungs or heart and still be alive, it's just that once the lungs and heart stop working it's a pretty good determining factor for death and measuring brain activity is much harder. Actual brain death is what occurs when the brain itself stops functioning entirely, and nobody in the entire recorded medical history of earth (that I'm aware of) has ever come back from brain death.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
yes, i'm aware that this is nothing new given the inference to lazarus.

shouldn't a deceased person have the consciousness of a newborn baby after being re-animated after an extended period to a lack of oxygen and being determined brain dead?

so what's going on?

Gunshot victims to be suspended between life and death

I don't see why their consciousness would revert. Obviously for some who die, lack of oxygen to the brain is an issue and they wind up with permanent brain damage, but thats not what you mean I guess.

What do you think is going on?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
*puts on annoying pedant hat*

That's from boxing.

*takes off annoying pedant hat. Mumbles apologies. Gets coat*

Sorry, I was being petty. A list of dubiously sourced stories seemed to warrant dubiously sourced responses, and the whole concept of safety coffins was more marketing gimmick than anything, far as I'm aware.

But you're right. Saved by the Bell originated from boxing.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
From the link (emphasis mine):

"In a large scale study of more than 2,000 people, British boffins confirmed that thoughts DO carry on after the heart stops...
[...] It had been believed the brain stopped all activity 30 seconds after the heart had stopped pumping blood around the body, and that with that, awareness ceases too.
However, the study from the University of Southampton shows people still experience awareness for up to three minutes after they had been pronounced dead."

In other words, this study did NOT demonstrate that there was "life after death", just that the brain sometimes stays active longer than expected after heart/lungs cease functioning. This is exactly in line with what I've said above. No single person in the study suffered actual brain death, they simply underwent cardiac arrest (their heart stopped beating). Furthermore, the fact that you went to a newspaper article that intentionally sensationalizes the story rather than the actual publisher of the paper itself is telling. What the ACTUAL study says is far less dramatic, though far more interesting:

World's largest near death experiences study | University of Southampton
http://www.resuscitationjournal.com/article/S0300-9572(14)00739-4/fulltext