• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Law of God

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What is the law of God? The law written on the heart of men?

Are these the mitzvot of the OT?
The 10 commandments?
Or is this law something else?

How do we know whether we follow the law if we do not know what it is?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Without looking into bible I think law in heart is love toward neighbor and God.
We don't need commandments to know love.

It is replacement of the law of Moses which is a set of rules which doesn't work without knowing it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

It's said in the Zohar and elsewhere in different words: "HaShem is concealed from our minds but revealed in our hearts."

To those who have learned to listen to their "hearts", the law of love is revealed.

"Love is the main, positive quality that moves, controls & connects all parts in the universe." Rav Michael Laitman

The challenge and the path is to be aware especially of one's words and deeds and to measure them against the standard of love and ever seek to become more loving.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The law(s) of god are just basic rules of human civilization with the word god stuck in there to make it sound religious.
I don't think they are even as good as that!

The 10 Commandments are rubbish. Half of them are irrelevant relating to observing the sabbath and having no other gods.
Any fool could write 10 better commandments.

Heyo

Veteran Member

The 10 commandments?

If you are a Christian and believe the Gospels are accurate, read Mark 12:28 to 32.
That's all you need to know.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't think they are even as good as that!

The 10 Commandments are rubbish. Half of them are irrelevant relating to observing the sabbath and having no other gods.
Any fool could write 10 better commandments.

I was more interested in the love one another than the bow down to me because I'm the greatest bull poop

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If you are a Christian and believe the Gospels are accurate, read Mark 12:28 to 32.
That's all you need to know.

Yes, well since I'm not particularly fond of myself, this makes it easier for me than maybe some others. :D

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's said in the Zohar and elsewhere in different words: "HaShem is concealed from our minds but revealed in our hearts."

To those who have learned to listen to their "hearts", the law of love is revealed.

"Love is the main, positive quality that moves, controls & connects all parts in the universe." Rav Michael Laitman

The challenge and the path is to be aware especially of one's words and deeds and to measure them against the standard of love and ever seek to become more loving.

Some of us aren't really taught love.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
In Marika’s own words…

“Make of thyselves that which ye desire. Be it a Lord. Be it a god. But should ye fail to become ought at all, ye will be forsaken… amounting only to sacrifices.”

Last edited:

Moshe Shlomo

The 10 commandments?

I'll take a jab at answering your question from an orthodox Jewish point of view.

According to the OT, there are 2 distinct sets of laws:

1) 7 Noachide commandments given to Noah after the flood which apply to ALL of humanity (including Jews). These 7 laws happen to be very similar to the 10 Commandments, minus a few, such as Keeping the Sabbath Holy, coveting, etc.

2) 613 OT Biblical laws which apply specifically to Jews and of course converts to Judaism.

7+613= 620 The Gematria of 620= CROWN in Hebrew, which means that the only way to "Crown" G-d as king over the world is if all of Humanity is doing what they are supposed to be doing.

The reason why the Jewish nation is given so many more commandments, is because they were charged with being "a holy nation and a kingdom of priests" and to "be a light to the nations", which requires extra effort in the holiness department to be effective. Anyone who wants to do more than the 7 laws, can convert to Judaism but is in no way obligated to so.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

The 10 commandments?

34 I give you a new law. That law is, "Love each other." As I have loved you, so you also love each other.

Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Hebrews 7:12
For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.

James 1:25
But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

Galatians 3:24
So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith.

Ephesians 2:15
By abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

Galatians 5:4
You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

Romans 7:6
But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Hebrews 8:13
In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Galatians 2:19
For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God.

1 Corinthians 9:21
To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

1 Corinthians 6:11
And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Jedster

I'll take a jab at answering your question from an orthodox Jewish point of view.

According to the OT, there are 2 distinct sets of laws:

1) 7 Noachide commandments given to Noah after the flood which apply to ALL of humanity (including Jews). These 7 laws happen to be very similar to the 10 Commandments, minus a few, such as Keeping the Sabbath Holy, coveting, etc.

2) 613 OT Biblical laws which apply specifically to Jews and of course converts to Judaism.

7+613= 620 The Gematria of 620= CROWN in Hebrew, which means that the only way to "Crown" G-d as king over the world is if all of Humanity is doing what they are supposed to be doing.

The reason why the Jewish nation is given so many more commandments, is because they were charged with being "a holy nation and a kingdom of priests" and to "be a light to the nations", which requires extra effort in the holiness department to be effective. Anyone who wants to do more than the 7 laws, can convert to Judaism but is in no way obligated to so.

The way I heard that was that the whole world is like a candle, with the Jewish nation being the wick and the other nations being the wax.
Together they make the whole.

Welcome to RF, I hope you brought your boxing gloves :)

nPeace

Veteran Member

The 10 commandments?

To get the answer, reading the Bible is required.
Here are some scriptures that can help.
Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:7-9:5; Hebrews 9:11-18; Hebrews 10:1; Hebrews 10:15-25; 2 Corinthians 3:4-4:15; Galatians 3:19-25; Romans 6; Romans 7

These scripture show that law is not the mitzvot of the OT, nor the 10 commandments, but is the law of the Messiah, which is given to those in the new covenant, which replaces the old.
This law is the law of love, which includes the ministry -of salvation, the new commandment of self-sacrificing love among Christ's brothers, and love among his disciples.
It involves practicing righteousness, and demonstrating faith.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We don't need commandments to know love.
Is Gods law is not a repeat of the laws of Hammurabi or or those of Ashoka? The tablet which God gave to Moses is broken, but we still have Ashokas edicts. Edicts of Ashoka - Wikipedia

220px-The_four_scripts_of_Ashoka.jpg
Languages used Brahmi, Kharoshti, Greek and Aramaic

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
God's law or the laws of any deities are still the laws of/from/by humans, either outright contrived or, at best, an interpretation of what humans regard as the will of God or gods.