• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Law of Cause and Effect.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Your premise assumes existence and "event" are synonymous. But they are not. They are not even mutually exclusive.
The point is that if you are going to slip away into solipsism, our discussion is done.

If existence is real:
Anything that exists occurs
Anything that occurs is an event

Therefore anything that exists is an event.

The first premise?

If something exists it must do so somewhere and at sometime.

If something exists somewhere and at sometime then it occurs in that place at that time.

Therefore it is an event.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I already replied to both those points.
The first point you asked me to elaborate on my premise. Which is why i wrote the second post. Your reply to the second post was:
No. Only the occurrence is the event. Again, your original claim is that a probability is an event. But it cannot be by definition.

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. And that's ALL a probability is. It's not an event.

And an event is merely a location in spacetime.

But even if we ignore that: You aren't an event. You becoming into existence is an event. That's a big difference of distinction.

You are literally fighting windmills here.

You did not address the logic at all. You simply said no. Pointed out that occurrences are different than an occurence (because one is plural and one is singular).

So i do not believe you have responded to these points.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I didn't do this at all. Prove it or stop putting words into my mouth.

An event requires time and space. Both of which must exist first. There were no events before time and space.
Prove that the difference between occurence and occurences is that one is plural and one is singular?

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
While i think the magic goes both ways on this one, that is sufficient to bring us to the point regarding a probability's existence.

One huge problem that still remains to be addressed.

I never claimed that probabilities don't exist. But they aren't events. Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. And that's ALL.

Prove that the difference between occurence and occurences is that one is plural and one is singular?

Why?

Curious George

Veteran Member

I never claimed that probabilities don't exist. But they aren't events. Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. And that's ALL.
You just agreed that existence entails an event.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Why?

Again if something exists it occurs.
If it occurs then it is an event.
Therefore if something exists it is an event.

Let's go the other way.

If something is an event it occurs.
If something ocurrs it exists.
Therefore being an event entails existence.