• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last words of famous atheists

Heneni

Miss Independent
A couple of examples...Mao was a fierce atheist - but in 1936, when as a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party he fell very sick, he demanded to be baptized and received baptism from the hand of a nun. When his wife was shot by the troops of Chiang Kai-shek, he composed a religious poem "The Immortals". (i would like to read that poem!) And in an interview with the American newspaperman Snow in 1971, he said, "Soon I will have to appear before God."

Another example, Zinoviev, president of the Communist International, died at the hands of Stalin.. his last words were: "Listen, Israel, our God is the only God."

Yagoda, Soviet Minister of Interior Affairs, also killed by Stalin, said: "There must be a God, because my sins have reached me."

Yaroslavski, President of the League of the Godless in the U.S.S.R., asked Stalin from his deathbed: "Burn all my books! Look, He is here! He waited for me. Burn all my books!" (Obviously Jesus had showed himself to Yaroslavski.)

Lenin, when the Russian Revolution ws in greatest danger, when Petersburg was surrounded by the troops of the anti-Communist general Kornilov, delivered a speech in which he exclaimed several times, "Dai Boje" = "May God grant that we escape." Lenin never used this expression except in this moment of deep crisis.

Talleyrand: "I am suffering the pangs of the darned."

Mirabeau: "Give me laudanum that I may not think of eternity."

Voltaire: "I am abandoned by God and man. I shall go to hell. Oh, Christ, oh, Jesus Christ!"

Charles IX, King of France: "What blood, what murders, what evil counsels have I followed. I am lost, I see it well."

Tom Paine: "I would give worlds, if I had them, if the Age of Reason (an anti-Christian book) had never been published. Oh Lord, help me. Christ, help me. Stay with me. It is hell to be left alone."

Why do you think that in the final hours of these people's lives they reached out to the only thing they were certain was not real.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

My favorite is from Spinoza: "Angellous is my daddy"

UnTheist

"Why do you think that in the final hours of these people's lives they reached out to the only thing they were certain was not real?"

Because they were afraid of dying and wanted "God" to save them. What do you think this proves?

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm just wondering what your source is. It sounds like propaganda to me, to put it politely.

Heneni

Miss Independent
"Why do you think that in the final hours of these people's lives they reached out to the only thing they were certain was not real?"

Because they were afraid of dying and wanted "God" to save them. What do you think this proves?

This is not a scientific theory. It has no hypothesis, variables, apparatus, method, conclusions, graphs and interpretations.

However..if what an atheist says on his deathbed does not prove anything, then surely nothing that they have said while not on it, proves anything either.

Heneni

Miss Independent
I'm just wondering what your source is. It sounds like propaganda to me, to put it politely.

Very polite of you indeed. Though the measure of politeness is hardly reciprocated by atheists when in the heat of the moment, they would call god the invisible pink unicorn. They are not unfamiliar with the term.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Ofcourse there are also those who don't believe in God but leave the option open..

And what better time than to think of those 10% chance of him believing than your deathbed? ;)

Besides, it's not like they have anything to lose. Only perhaps to gain, I don't know why...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Very polite of you indeed. Though the measure of politeness is hardly reciprocated by atheists when in the heat of the moment, they would call god the invisible pink unicorn. They are not unfamiliar with the term.
You're dodging. What's your source?

Heneni

Miss Independent
What exactly are you talking about? What are they "saying"?

What am I saying? Im saying nothing..im asking a question remember.;) If an atheist on his death bed reaches out to god, what does it mean?

You say it proves nothing. Ok.

Its not that clear cut for me though.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
What am I saying? Im saying nothing..im asking a question remember.;) If an atheist on his death bed reaches out to god, what does it mean?

You say it proves nothing. Ok.

What are your thoughts then? That he really wasn't atheist?

O, maybe he just wants to leave "good" notes for the ones who will live on? :D

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
7 people out of all those atheists that didn't mention God in any way...
I think the source is not that interresting as you have to make it a "what if" anyway..

Statistics don't work here...

Heneni

Miss Independent
Hi BB

I understand that in our last moments here on earth, a great deal must be going through our minds. I would imagine things that we feel important.

Trey of Diamonds

Tom Paine: "I would give worlds, if I had them, if the Age of Reason (an anti-Christian book) had never been published. Oh Lord, help me. Christ, help me. Stay with me. It is hell to be left alone."

But you are quoting urban legends.

Our Infidels and Thomas Paine

He died almost alone. The moment he died Christians commenced manufacturing horrors for his death-bed. They had his chamber filled with devils rattling chains, and these ancient lies are annually certified to by the respectable Christians of the present day. The truth is, he died as he lived. Some ministers were impolite enough to visit him against his will. Several of them he ordered from his room. A couple of Catholic priests, in all the meekness of hypocrisy, called that they might enjoy the agonies of a dying friend of man. Thomas Paine, rising in his bed, the few embers of expiring life blown into flame by the breath of indignation, had the goodness to curse them both. His physician, who seems to have been a meddling fool, just as the cold hand of death was touching the patriot's heart, whispered in the dull ear of the dying man: "Do you believe, or do you wish to believe, that Jesus Christ is the son of God?" And the reply was "I have no wish to believe on that subject."

These were the last remembered words of Thomas Paine. He died as serenely as ever a Christian passed away. He died in the full possession of his mind, and on the brink and edge of death he proclaimed the doctrines of his life.

UnTheist

What am I saying? Im saying nothing..im asking a question remember.
Forget it.
If an atheist on his death bed reaches out to god, what does it mean?
It means the reached out to "God".
It should be. How do you explain the fact that most Atheists don't do this? Isn't that "evidence" that God doesn't exist, or are you going to pick and choose what supports your beliefs and ignore the rest?

And I'm assuming you're sources are accurate, which they're probably not.

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Hi BB

I understand that in our last moments here on earth, a great deal must be going through our minds. I would imagine things that we feel important.

"God" happens to be very important to me even though I don't believe in him..
A great part of my live is about the concept of god. Including this forum.
Family is even more important to me. If I would want to leave them a note before my light go out, I'd rather say something that they would want to hear perhaps..

I know my mother would love it if I would say anything about god on that moment. She did so with my grandmother... She still talks about the fact that my grandmother did a prayer before she went away. :shrug:

(Oh, and please, make it BBB ;))

Heneni

Miss Independent
7 people out of all those atheists that didn't mention God in any way...
I think the source is not that interresting as you have to make it a "what if" anyway..

Statistics don't work here...

So we would rather discredit the source than face the fact that atheist themselves could be, even thought they probably dont realise it up to the end, actually sure of the existance of god.

Doesnt the bible indicate that god has made himself known to mankind through things like the creation. It is quite possible then...that there is really no such thing as an atheist.