• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper Painting

Ellen Brown

I have just been looking at a YouTube Video that talks about The Last Supper Painting.

In it a woman who is said to be Mary Magdalene is next to Jesus. I have seen "other" depictions of this painting in which Mary is not shown. I've talked to religious folk so enured to the idea of the sinful Eve, that it would not surprise me to find that someone edited her out. I'm not looking it up right now, but I believe that Jesus had a rather undebatable opinion of Mary Magdalene.

My own opinion of Mary Magdalene is that the book "The Da Vinci Code" the depiction of her is most accurate. :)

Very interesting.

Ellen Brown

It is very interesting that one of the sites that shows "Mary" on the right hand of Jesus in the painting is" rgdn.info and seems to be a Shia Muslim, or contains some Shia Muslim members. I'm just pretty sure that a site, or even discussion of the subject would not be possible if Sunni Muslims were present. In my own past, in the presence of Sunni Muslims, I would have to keep these thoughts private. At this site, at least there is the discussion of such matters.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I have just been looking at a YouTube Video that talks about The Last Supper Painting.

In it a woman who is said to be Mary Magdalene is next to Jesus. I have seen "other" depictions of this painting in which Mary is not shown. I've talked to religious folk so enured to the idea of the sinful Eve, that it would not surprise me to find that someone edited her out. I'm not looking it up right now, but I believe that Jesus had a rather undebatable opinion of Mary Magdalene.

My own opinion of Mary Magdalene is that the book "The Da Vinci Code" the depiction of her is most accurate. :)

Very interesting.

It is interesting and stuff of legend, it's easy to translate that fresco to whatever you want, some say that it is Mary magdalena but also John the evangelist as tradition has it he was her protector.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I've heard that person is John, the beloved disciple. However, the people who both don't want Jesus to do anything gay NOR hetero, are forced to make him Mary just to make themselves feel better.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I've heard that person is John, the beloved disciple. However, the people who both don't want Jesus to do anything gay NOR hetero, are forced to make him Mary just to make themselves feel better.
I do think this person on the right of Jesus is Magdalene. I think that they were a couple, and that Jesus often stayed at her place at Magdala........ and she, with Salome and some other women were the only ones with the guts to follow him to be at his execution. Yep..... I reckon that she loved him alright.

But I'm not Gay, and I don't mind that Jesus was a normal man. :)

Ellen Brown

Now my curiosity is up. I'm going to try to find a trustworthy picture of the original. In the one I am looking at, this is definitely a woman.

Ellen Brown

I just don't care at all, not one bit about being gay or lesbian, and I am no Judge. I went back to what Wiki says is the original Painting and looked. She is no man. Not one bit.

The Anointed

I just don't care at all, not one bit about being gay or lesbian, and I am no Judge. I went back to what Wiki says is the original Painting and looked. She is no man. Not one bit.

It is suggested that Leonardo da Vinci was himself Gay and saw the relationship between Jesus and John the beloved disciple, who is believed to be the young man in the garden who ran away naked on the night that Jesus was arrested, as more than that of a teacher and student, and the reason why he depicted, in such a feminine form, John the beloved disciple who laid his head on the breast of Jesus at the last supper.

arthurchappell

writer, poet, historian,
Dan Brown's book borrows a lot of urban legend ideas covered elsewhere, and there was even a long plagiarism trial between Brown and the authors of The Holy Blood & Holy Grail which drew the claims to wide public attention, and critical scorn. That one of the guests at the Last Supper looks feminized may be down to Da Vinci having a lady posing among the men he gathered in drafting the painting, - It is unlikely to be Mary Magdalene. THe theory that her bloodline (with Jesus) continued through to the present Day with various quazi-masonic groups guarding the secret came first and then tries to shoe-horn in elements of history, Knights Templers, Da Vinci, etc.

The Anointed

Dan Brown's book borrows a lot of urban legend ideas covered elsewhere, and there was even a long plagiarism trial between Brown and the authors of The Holy Blood & Holy Grail which drew the claims to wide public attention, and critical scorn. That one of the guests at the Last Supper looks feminized may be down to Da Vinci having a lady posing among the men he gathered in drafting the painting, - It is unlikely to be Mary Magdalene. THe theory that her bloodline (with Jesus) continued through to the present Day with various quazi-masonic groups guarding the secret came first and then tries to shoe-horn in elements of history, Knights Templers, Da Vinci, etc.

I have no doubt that Mary Magdalene, the daughter-in-law to Mary the wife of Cleophas, who was the mother of Jesus, was the wife of Rabbi Jesus, as Rabbis in those days were expected to be married.

arthurchappell

writer, poet, historian,
I have no doubt that Mary Magdalene, the daughter-in-law to Mary the wife of Cleophas, who was the mother of Jesus, was the wife of Rabbi Jesus, as Rabbis in those days were expected to be married.
It takes a lot of credulity to knot those elements together and not doubt what patterns they make together

Ellen Brown

It is suggested that Leonardo da Vinci was himself Gay and saw the relationship between Jesus and John the beloved disciple, who is believed to be the young man in the garden who ran away naked on the night that Jesus was arrested, as more than that of a teacher and student, and the reason why he depicted, in such a feminine form, John the beloved disciple who laid his head on the breast of Jesus at the last supper.

I was accused of being gay several times. LOL There is a good possibility that the accusation mostly comes from those who are latent homosexuals themselves. My own belief is that Jesus and Mary were a pair. Look it up in the scripture, "The Da Vinci Code".

e.r.m.

Church of Christ

Very interesting.
Neither Da Vinci's painting nor Dan Brown's book have any bearing on the actual first century Last Supper, for anyone to be deriving lessons from it. Although, Ian McKellen was right in the movie when he defended against the accusation of Mary Magdalene being a prostitute, "She was no such thing!", and that the (catholic) church was responsible for branding her as such.

All the scriptures say about Mary Magdelene is that seven evil spirits were driven out from her and that she served Jesus thereafter.

Any suggestion that Jesus and Mary Magdalene hooked up or were a pair is as fallacious and ludicrous as the movie Last Temptation of Christ.

Last edited:

The Anointed

Neither Da Vinci's painting nor Dan Brown's book have any bearing on the actual first century Last Supper, for anyone to be deriving lessons from it. Although, Ian McKellen was right in the movie when he defended against the accusation of Mary Magdalene being a prostitute, "She was no such thing!", and that the (catholic) church was responsible for branding her as such.

All the scriptures say about Mary Magdelene is that seven evil spirits were driven out from her and that she served Jesus thereafter.

Any suggestion that Jesus and Mary Magdalene hooked up or were a pair is as fallacious and ludicrous as the movie Last Temptation of Christ.

Then it is obvious that you have never studied the scriptures in depth. How many women by the name Mary were at the cross of Jesus?

Ellen Brown

And, you think yourself to be an authority?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As a side-bar, the picture would be generally fine if Jesus and the Twelve were Romans, but it's not likely compatible for common Jews 2000 years ago. Instead, picture them on the floor in a circular pattern with a communal dinner in front of them and with a type of pita bread often made from barley.