• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Sermon of Prophet Muhammad.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
So you have no research both of what you said earlier right? Just conjecture so now of course you have to try to turn and ask some personal and general question to avoid the fact that "you just made things up" and pretended they are based on research. I will try and ignore that.

Anyway, since you ask me about my beliefs and where I got it from, in order to avoid your made up statements you cannot substantiate, I shall tell you that "of course unlike you I have explored as much as I can" and I have chosen the most reasonable.

Now I expect some ad hominem from you, because I can see you have avoided the things you made up. :D
You seriously expect me to cite all the works I might have come across, read, digested, noted and categorised perhaps. Do/did you do the same? Plus all that I have experienced in life, noted as appropriate (non-biased) news, and all conversations I might ever have had. Why would anyone have to do 'research' as you call it when we generally don't do such for most of our beliefs - the vast majority at least. And what would you regard as appropriate 'research' - I can guess as to imbibing all the religious texts of the world of course - but really not practical for any sensible person.

As to your last comments, I doubt you have, given that you have chosen one of the many, and where it probably just mostly appeals to you - if you weren't actually taught such as a child.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mock Turtle, are you aware of the bet argument thing (chance of hell, don't risk it, because it's forever argument thing) ? Pascal's wager I think it's called.

I think it's the start of wisdom.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Mock Turtle, are you aware of the bet argument thing (chance of hell, don't risk it, because it's forever argument thing) ? Pascal's wager I think it's called.

I think it's the start of wisdom.
It's a load of nonsense.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why is that?
Because basically it only applies to one concept of God - and that defined by a particular religion perhaps - and also it is deceptive, if one just doesn't believe but makes out to be as such. Why would we expect any such God to accept such deception? Either one does believe in a God or one does not, and being forced into believing because of some contrivance is just dishonest. Being agnostic, as I am, is far more honest.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because basically it only applies to one concept of God - and that defined by a particular religion perhaps - and also it is deceptive, if one just doesn't believe but makes out to be as such. Why would we expect any such God to accept such deception? Either one does believe in a God or one does not, and being forced into believing because of some contrivance is just dishonest. Being agnostic, as I am, is far more honest.

You haven't understood it. I will explain it. He clarifies in his works, he is not saying to pretend to believe in God, but to seek God and seek to study religion(s) and not to bet the other way. He doesn't say hell is a certainty and start from there, he says, for all you know it's true, so don't risk it. Don't risk it as in not pretend to believe, but research, hang around spiritual/religious people, try to find God.

I think he is reasonable. He says it's too much of a risk, nothing in the world and no life lived, can be worth that risk.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You haven't understood it. I will explain it. He clarifies in his works, he is not saying to pretend to believe in God, but to seek God and seek to study religion(s) and not to bet the other way. He doesn't say hell is a certainty and start from there, he says, for all you know it's true, so don't risk it. Don't risk it as in not pretend to believe, but research, hang around spiritual/religious people, try to find God.

I think he is reasonable. He says it's too much of a risk, nothing in the world and no life lived, can be worth that risk.
But this is still just from one religious viewpoint, as to accepting such notions anyway - Heaven and Hell - and it is still a contrivance if one has to make a decision based on some outcome. As many would say - we should live the lives as best we think fit, and being as honest as we can be - and hence cannot complain if and when we do go to Hell. Such is my approach.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But this is still just from one religious viewpoint, as to accepting such notions anyway - Heaven and Hell - and it is still a contrivance if one has to make a decision based on some outcome. As many would say - we should live the lives as best we think fit, and being as honest as we can be - and hence cannot complain if and when we do go to Hell. Such is my approach.

It doesn't matter, it can be there is no religion with that viewpoint. It's still not worth the risk, until, you know for sure hell won't be the end result.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He writes a lot. I summarized, but he argues various views, religions, etc, doesn't do anything with this argument.

And when you reflect, he is correct. Nothing can be worth the risk.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It doesn't matter, it can be there is no religion with that viewpoint. It's still not worth the risk, until, you know for sure hell won't be the end result.
Well we take risks often in life - not choosing a particular religion might be one of them - or doing so.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He wrote pages and pages, so I would read the original. Also read the original works for ontological arguments of both versions of both authors(they really the same but people try to make it different and misrepresent both).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well we take risks often in life - not choosing a particular religion might be one of them - or doing so.

Yeah but forever is a very very long time. So until you are sure, there is no risk, he is saying bet on as if it's true (there is a hell) and you live your life in a way to find out if it's true or not, don't give up striving because it's too risky.