• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Jedi Movie: Definitely watch

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am going to give it 10/10. For the less serious science fiction/ fantasy genre (i.e. not Arrival) it is one the best directed, best acted, both thoughtful and visually splendid movie I have seen. Significantly better than Star Trek and even much much better than any of the Marvel movies. With this movie, Star Wars have recaptured the sense of uniqueness and strangely "believability in depth" that very few high (science or fantasy) fiction projects can achieve. This fictional universe and the characters in it makes sense, finally.

In terms of acting, everyone is good but special mentions

1) Adam Driver: Absolutely sensational as a complex, conflicted anti-hero. Hardest part ever, best one I have seen after Gollum. Marks: O (Outstanding)

2) Mark Hamill : Superb as the bitter cranky legend of legends. A highly fleshed out performance. Unless Anthony Hopkins comes along to reprise this role, difficult to envisage how it could be bettered. Marks: Outstanding

3) Carrie Fisher: Brings to life a dignity and gravitas along with a bottomless pathos of having lost so much. Entirely believable as the core around which the rebellion revolves. Marks: O (Outstanding).

4) Daisy Ridley : We know she is good from the first movie. Here, she continues this admirably. Somehow, however she acts like Emma Watson in the Harry Potter movies. Marks: Exceeds Expectations.

Your thoughts?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Me too, especially after @sayak83 's recommendation.
I had all but given up on much of 'modern' sci-fi stuff. Probably because I grew up in the 50s & 60s and am a bit of an old codger :)
The first few seasons of the new Battlestar Galactica were good though.
The movie "Arrival" was awesome.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Better than Star Trek? Now I can't watch it. I might feel like a traitor if I liked it better.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Better than Star Trek? Now I can't watch it. I might feel like a traitor if I liked it better.
It's a single and highly dramatic story over multiple seasons (tends to become melodramatic in the last season), in that sense it's quite different.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I am going to give it 10/10. For the less serious science fiction/ fantasy genre (i.e. not Arrival) it is one the best directed, best acted, both thoughtful and visually splendid movie I have seen. Significantly better than Star Trek and even much much better than any of the Marvel movies. With this movie, Star Wars have recaptured the sense of uniqueness and strangely "believability in depth" that very few high (science or fantasy) fiction projects can achieve. This fictional universe and the characters in it makes sense, finally.

In terms of acting, everyone is good but special mentions

1) Adam Driver: Absolutely sensational as a complex, conflicted anti-hero. Hardest part ever, best one I have seen after Gollum. Marks: O (Outstanding)

2) Mark Hamill : Superb as the bitter cranky legend of legends. A highly fleshed out performance. Unless Anthony Hopkins comes along to reprise this role, difficult to envisage how it could be bettered. Marks: Outstanding

3) Carrie Fisher: Brings to life a dignity and gravitas along with a bottomless pathos of having lost so much. Entirely believable as the core around which the rebellion revolves. Marks: O (Outstanding).

4) Daisy Ridley : We know she is good from the first movie. Here, she continues this admirably. Somehow, however she acts like Emma Watson in the Harry Potter movies. Marks: Exceeds Expectations.

Your thoughts?

I'm going to wait for the book to come out (said nobody ever).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bear in mind that it could only be better than the ST movies.
ST series (except for the latest one with the unfortunately
appropriate initialism, "STD") have the better mythology.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Bear in mind that it could only be better than the ST movies.
ST series (except for the latest one with the unfortunately
appropriate initialism, "STD") have the better mythology.
That makes me feel better. Ok, I'll watch it, but I won't buy any toys.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I wasn't a huge fan of The Force Awakens, and I felt absolutely zero enthusiasm for Rogue One, and I frankly feel in kind of a similar mood with regards to The Last Jedi. Is there anything (non-spoilery) anyone can tell me that might make me want to see it? I just find the new movies far too self-referential, like semi-competent fan-fiction, and I wasn't especially drawn to any of the new characters. Does The Last Jedi improve on this?

Also, here is a super controversial but totally supportable position with regards to why people probably shouldn't judge Star Wars in comparison to Star Trek or other science fiction series/stories/franchises:
Star Wars isn't sci-fi.
SAY WHAAAAAAAAT??

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Your thoughts?

Lucas hasn't pumped out a good film since The Empire Strikes Back, even ROTG ruined by Ewoks. I still think that movie was better than anything afterwords... I'm just a full hater now Disney can keep their Marvel-ized version of Star Wars and stuff it. :D

In contrast, the Star Wars cartoons like Clone Wars/The Clone Wars/Rebels are all great. So if you need your SW fix, that's the best way to get it now.