• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last in the line of defense against evil

Ostronomos

I saw a related thread recently in ethics and morals.

Could it be possible that self-defense is justified when the situation escalates from words to violence?

If a person does not accept a reasonable and rational argument using sound logic are they considered ignorant or evil? Or both? Where is the line drawn?

I am a bit of a martial artist which comes with the territory of being the great genius. So I can't help but think that reason and logic should reign supreme in all arguments. But what if a fool struggles to listen to reason and they react with an emotional outburst and even violence?

Nimos

Could it be possible that self-defense is justified when the situation escalates from words to violence?

If a person does not accept a reasonable and rational argument using sound logic are they considered ignorant or evil? Or both? Where is the line drawn?

I am a bit of a martial artist which comes with the territory of being the great genius. So I can't help but think that reason and logic should reign supreme in all arguments. But what if a fool struggles to listen to reason and they react with an emotional outburst and even violence?
Not sure what all the "if a fool struggles to listen to reason..." has to do with anything?

If someone attacks you, self-defense is justified regardless of the background that led them to do so, if it is unprovoked.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Violence is justified imo. To defend ones own life, the life of another, or their property.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Well then a great genius beats them up. Obviously. :shrug:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ethical rules are all made up, so it is ultimately your responsibility how you want to make up yours. In doing so, I recommend keeping in mind the answers to these two questions:
  1. What are the laws of the land you live in?
  2. What character in the story of life do you want to be? What role are you comfortable taking on?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

What does being a genius have to do with martial arts?

Heyo

Veteran Member

Self defence is for keeping you from physical harm, not for defending your opinion. When a fool doesn't listen to your reasons, just walk away. Being a fool they might feel they'd have to get violent to defend their ego. A genius anticipates this escalation and avoids it.
Now, if the fool is also a tool, a.k.a. useful idiot, who spreads harmful propaganda for someone else, you might want to keep engaged to defend your rights and those of others. But be careful to read the room, the confrontation might not be worth it.

Ostronomos

Self defence is for keeping you from physical harm, not for defending your opinion. When a fool doesn't listen to your reasons, just walk away. Being a fool they might feel they'd have to get violent to defend their ego. A genius anticipates this escalation and avoids it.
Now, if the fool is also a tool, a.k.a. useful idiot, who spreads harmful propaganda for someone else, you might want to keep engaged to defend your rights and those of others. But be careful to read the room, the confrontation might not be worth it.

I am very pleased you chose to navigate the dark recesses of the mind along with assessing the situation.

I have two identities. One unprecedented in human history and the other merely moderately gifted as many who know me online and in person would attest to.

Although my thinking is somewhat limited by this at the moment there comes a point where anticipation of another's behavior poses a challenge. In most social situations I stand out because of my giftedness which only intensifies as I boost my intelligence to maximal levels. But what you have given me is gold. I agree wholeheartedly that we should be mindful of the lay of the land and its laws. And let the piper lead us all to reason.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Although my thinking is somewhat limited by this at the moment there comes a point where anticipation of another's behavior poses a challenge.
I'm no natural either. Throughout my youth I was handicapped by the assumption that other people's thinking was similar to mine. I had to learn to watch people and interpret their behavior. I was appalled by psychology when I realized that I could not only understand people but manipulate them. So I decided not to look into it too deep.
In most social situations I stand out because of my giftedness which only intensifies as I boost my intelligence to maximal levels.
I've learned enough to blend in if I want. Most of the time I don't want.