• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Label "Hindu"

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think too many eggs can do one harm, but ego is another matter: it assists our survival with dignity.
Perhaps. But if the ultimate goal is to shed all illusions of the world that is held by the ego (yes, I realise that is an oversimplification) then one must also let go of the ego.

Shantanu

Perhaps. But if the ultimate goal is to shed all illusions of the world that is held by the ego (yes, I realise that is an oversimplification) then one must also let go of the ego.
That is interesting: why is that the ultimate goal:is it something to do with moksha or liberation?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
That is interesting: why is that the ultimate goal:is it something to do with moksha or liberation?
Yes, moksha or ultimate liberation is to let go of all illusions, including everything the ego holds onto and become one with the supreme (however one may define that as.)

Again I realise that is an oversimplification. My apologies.

Shantanu

Yes, moksha or ultimate liberation is to let go of all illusions, including everything the ego holds onto and become one with the supreme (however one may define that as.)

Again I realise that is an oversimplification. My apologies.
I like the theory you are pronouncing: but would say that being on the truth path and speaking the truth and continuing with fight against truth and justice are not signs of ego and do not prevent the attainment of moksha or liberation as long as one remains in permanent surrender to God (Sri Krishna/Durga)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I like the theory you are pronouncing: but would say that being on the truth path and speaking the truth and continuing with fight against truth and justice are not signs of ego and do not prevent the attainment of moksha or liberation as long as one remains in permanent surrender to God (Sri Krishna/Durga)
I’m not fighting against or for any truth. A person is free to follow whichever path suits their disposition and indeed try to attain whichever goal sounds reasonable to them.
But, I personally would consider those to be signs of the ego. By all means, fight against injustice on this earth. Of course, that is admirable.
But attachments to the earth are strong.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I’m not fighting against or for any truth. A person is free to follow whichever path suits their disposition and indeed try to attain whichever goal sounds reasonable to them.
But yes, I would consider those to be signs of the ego.

Ego is a snake in the grass, waiting to come out when you least expect Him. That's why bhakti is so important. It makes you look up to something, somebody, at least. Same is true for having a Guru.

Shantanu

But, I personally would consider those to be signs of the ego. By all means, fight against injustice on this earth. Of course, that is admirable.
But attachments to the earth are strong.
One fights against injustices by exposing the truth, that means seeking the truth at all times and this is accomplished by being at one with truth or truth accommodation (saty-advaita). For this one must exist and so all efforts are directed to survival. This attitude has nothing to do with ego. It is the work of a jnana yogi.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
One fights against injustices by exposing the truth, that means seeking the truth at all times and this is accomplished by being at one with truth or truth accommodation (saty-advaita). For this one must exist and so all efforts are directed to survival. This attitude has nothing to do with ego. It is the work of a jnana yogi.
Eh, I’d rather have a bbq and have a drink with friends.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I laughed. Ya think? Although i suppose that certain personality types of a certain opposite nature perhaps ought not to be socializing. It could lead to fisticuffs, or worse.
Indeed. Mental health is also a concern. At work we need to have certain employees work at different times due to conflicting personalities and even conflicting mental health issues.