• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Label "Hindu"

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
Oh, wow, so many replies! Thanks, everyone!

There is nothing to feel worthy about: Hinduism is diverse. What are your other beliefs that count against what Hinduism comprises of: eg dharma, gunas, yoga, vedas, advaita, appreciation of the epics Mahabharatta and Ramayana, etc. Of course if you have none of these other beliefs you are still a Hindu but not a worthy one in my honest opinion.

Thank you.

You seem sincere to me, for what it’s worth

That makes me feel better, and I very much appreciate it.

I do not think labels are useless in practical world. Labels make people fit to them (If you get what I mean).Cant understand this. Care to explain? If you feel like that why are you continuing it?

Sure, Imposter Syndrome is basically a state of mind where you feel like you're not really what you're trying to be and are secretly afraid you're some kind of fraud.

The truth is, only a small part of me feels that way. The rest of me does feel like I'm sincere. It's just that that small part of me yells awfully loudly sometimes.

How long have you been at this, if I may ask? It does take some time. I've been an all-in convert for 40 years now. the first 10 years or so may have had more of that. But now the unworthiness just comes from my human mistakes, little things like getting upset occasionally, and also the absolute divinity of the Gods. I feel just so inferiour to them.

About four years, give or take. I'm still a baby compared to a lot of y'all. It's good to know that the feeling gets better the longer you do it.

Rather than being a Hindu or Muslim or Jew or Vaishnavite, I would say it is more important to be a good human being.This is the true focus of religion.

As per Advaita, our true identity is the Self, which is awareness or pure consciousness. This is our true identity, and one we should live up to through meditation, love and virtuous conduct. If one tries to live up to an artificial label, one is only conditioning oneself with beliefs, and harbor animosity to the opposing labels.

The true purpose of religion is to get rid off such false beliefs in order to attain the Self.

I know this is true, intellectually, but I still struggle with it emotionally. Baby steps, I suppose.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
About four years, give or take. I'm still a baby compared to a lot of y'all. It's good to know that the feeling gets better the longer you do it.

But it really helps to hang out with Hindus, go to temple a lot, go to festivals, go on pilgrimage. Comfort level increases with experience. Trying to integrate, or feel comfortable, all the while staying at home in your own shrine area, well, that dosen't really cut it.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
But it really helps to hang out with Hindus, go to temple a lot, go to festivals, go on pilgrimage. Comfort level increases with experience. Trying to integrate, or feel comfortable, all the while staying at home in your own shrine area, well, that dosen't really cut it.

I think this is a lot of the problem, honestly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think this is a lot of the problem, honestly.
I was lucky, sort of a forced integration by the situation. But not everyone here in the same situation got integrated. So it very much depends on your personal situation and circumstances. Actually volunteering at a temple, and helping out will do that. But that's not always possible either. There is just so much to learn, it's quite overwhelming. Fortunately we Hindus believe in reincarnation, and you can pray to be born into a Hindu family next time around.

I also think you seen sincere. 4 years is long compared to the people who take it up as a fad thing.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I was lucky, sort of a forced integration by the situation. But not everyone here in the same situation got integrated. So it very much depends on your personal situation and circumstances. Actually volunteering at a temple, and helping out will do that. But that's not always possible either. There is just so much to learn, it's quite overwhelming. Fortunately we Hindus believe in reincarnation, and you can pray to be born into a Hindu family next time around.

I also think you seen sincere. 4 years is long compared to the people who take it up as a fad thing.

The nearest temple to me is a little over an hour's drive away, and the one I'd most like to visit is about two and a half hours away. Not super-far in the grand scheme of things, but my financial situation isn't the best at the moment. As soon as it improves, I have every intention of going to one or both or several of them.

Thank you for your faith in my sincerity, too. It means a lot. The last thing I want to be is *that* white person, you know?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The nearest temple to me is a little over an hour's drive away, and the one I'd most like to visit is about two and a half hours away. Not super-far in the grand scheme of things, but my financial situation isn't the best at the moment. As soon as it improves, I have every intention of going to one or both or several of them.

Thank you for your faith in my sincerity, too. It means a lot. The last thing I want to be is *that* white person, you know?

Best wishes on it, but do know it takes time. On some days I'm still 'that white guy'. Many temples serve a large congregation, and not everyone knows everyone. So on a day when there are no 'oldies' there, I could get odd looks. I also don't go on busy days so the regulars on those days never see me.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Labels are just another way to tribalise our species. Us vs them, me vs you. Apart from warning labels and self identifiers, I find them just another illusion. A barrier to separate us into arbitrary groups and separate us from the divine or reality or the universe or whatever the hell you want to call it.
Yeah, labels exist in 'Vyavaharika' and not in "Paramarthika'. I happen to see both the sides. :)
The truth is, only a small part of me feels that way. The rest of me does feel like I'm sincere. It's just that that small part of me yells awfully loudly sometimes.
That happens when you bind yourself to a philosophy or deity. Free yourself to arrive at your own position naturally.

Last edited:

Shantanu

All I would advise is to keep up with your truth seeking through truth accommodation or satya-advaita. That way you will grow and become what you deserve.:)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Labels are just another way to tribalise our species. Us vs them, me vs you. Apart from warning labels and self identifiers, I find them just another illusion. A barrier to separate us into arbitrary groups and separate us from the divine or reality or the universe or whatever the hell you want to call it.

I can see how one can view labels from this perspective, but I think this is more the case when one labels another rather than one labeling oneself.

I think it's practical for one to give others some idea of their worldview in such a venue as a religious forum for comparative discussion purposes. It sort of gives a backdrop on another's thoughts and views in a discussion. It can also be a indicator if one even wants to engage in discourse on a specific topic.

When I go in my pantry to reach for a can, I'd like to know if I'm getting chicken noodle soup, turnip greens, peaches, or dog food.

JfRNgtQ.jpg

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Why stop there? We could give up language completely and just sit around grooming each other -- or flinging poo, depending...

I think you've been on RF long enough to know one needn't give up language to do this. ;)

Shantanu

I do not think labels are useless in practical world. Labels make people fit to them (If you get what I mean)
I have been toying with my Label for a very long time and have changed it frequently: Now I have stopped Blogging and focusing on reevaluating myself once again. I did not make much progress with Existentialism in terms of defining what it actually means other than surviving at all costs. I have survived, now what is next on the agenda?:(

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I can see how one can view labels from this perspective, but I think this is more the case when one labels another rather than one labeling oneself.

I think it's practical for one to give others some idea of their worldview in such a venue as a religious forum in for comparative discussion purposes. It sort of gives a backdrop on another's thoughts and views in a discussion. It can also be a indicator if one even wants to engage in discourse on a specific topic.

When I go in my pantry to reach for a can, I'd like to know if I'm getting chicken noodle soup, turnip greens, peaches, or dog food.

JfRNgtQ.jpg
Of course. In discussion or everyday life labels are quite handy. But they have their downsides as well. And me being the aloof pretentious artsy type, well I’m all for labels to not exist at all ;)

Shantanu

Of course. In discussion or everyday life labels are quite handy. But they have their downsides as well. And me being the aloof pretentious artsy type, well I’m all for labels to not exist at all ;)
Of course, you are well within your rights to have no labels so that no one can pin you down.;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course, you are well within your rights to have no labels so that no one can pin you down.;)

Even if I choose to apply a label to my worldview, no one can pin me down. But this is likely because I apply a label to my worldview rather than apply my worldview to a label.

Shantanu

Even if I choose to apply a label to my worldview, no one can pin me down. But this is likely because I apply a label to my worldview rather than apply my worldview to a label.
Since when did you start using the label 'Advaitist Hindu'? - I am an Existentialist who derives my survival techniques from advaita.:)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think it's practical for one to give others some idea of their worldview in such a venue as a religious forum in for comparative discussion purposes. It sort of gives a backdrop on another's thoughts and views in a discussion. It can also be a indicator if one even wants to engage in discourse on a specific topic.

JfRNgtQ.jpg

The word 'practical' stands out to me. If we're discussing religion with someone, a label generally just saves a lot of time. We've had folks come on here who were of particular sects that didn't put their label up, for one reason or another, and others have wasted time. In some cases it's also just sneaky.

Last edited:

Shantanu

The word 'practical' stands out to me. If we're discussing religion with someone, a label generally just saves a lot of time. We've had folks come on here who were of particular secys that didn't put their label up, for one reason or another, and others have wasted time. In some cases it's also just sneaky.
It is more usual that they do not know what label to use to define themselves and they are simply trying to find this out. When the time is right they will come out of the closet.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is more usual that they do not know what label to use to define themselves and they are simply trying to find this out. When the time is right they will come out of the closet.
Yes, that's fair, and I've seen it. I changed mine here from 'Hindu' to Saivite Hindu' because i was constantly explaining I wasn't a Vedantist. Some folks, especially curious westerners, believe they Advaita Vedanta is the only Hinduism. Still others are really attached, the other extreme, to their label.

Shantanu

Yes, that's fair, and I've seen it. I changed mine here from 'Hindu' to Saivite Hindu' because i was constantly explaining I wasn't a Vedantist. Some folks, especially curious westerners, believe they Advaita Vedanta is the only Hinduism. Still others are really attached, the other extreme, to their label.
It is obviouly true that Advaita Vedanta is not the only Hinduism: we are diverse. I do not choose to call myself an Advaita Vedantist because I have never studied the Vedas and cannot relate to them when it is under discussion. I just read and keep silent.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Since when did you start using the label 'Advaitist Hindu'? - I am an Existentialist who derives my survival techniques from advaita.:)

I decided to try it on a few days ago when I felt comfortable based on my inquiries here that Hindus native to the culture wouldn't take exception to my identifying as such.

Over time, the more and researched and meditated on my discoveries and experiences, the more I realized that my worldview aligns almost perfectly with Hinduism, and after discovering the philosophy, specifically Advaita Vedanta. Even years ago, when I walked a neo-Pagan path and participated in another religious forum, there were those Hindus and Theosophists who would tell me that my views were more in line with Hinduism than neo-Paganism. I identified by path as "Nondualism" here on the forum for quite some time, but that's more a philosophy than a religion, and my OCD tendencies were bothered by the 'Religion: Nondualism' label in my profile. "Advaitist Hindu" is, in my opinion, an accurate term to describe my worldview given my understandings and realizations based on my experiences, and might facilitate understanding of my spiritual views by others.