• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Do you describe your sons, daughters, or students as caring children? In today’s divided political climate, does it matter if children and teens find meaningful ways to connect with and care about others who are different from themselves?

The importance of educating and raising caring children was brought to national attention in 2014 by the Making Caring Common Project at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. At that time, a large majority of diverse young people reported valuing achievement and happiness over caring for others, and that parents reinforced this message through their own focus on a child’s grades and achievement.

New Strategies to Grow Caring Children & Compassionate Citizens

Plenty more at that site!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
As a parent, you can bolster your child’s innate kindness. In fact, when your child is between ages 4 and 7, that’s a critical developmental window when their brain is especially open to developing a lifelong kindness habit.

How? According to a report by Harvard researchers:

Kids need to hear from us that kindness is important,

Kids need daily opportunities to practice caring for others, and

We need to encourage kids to consider the perspective and struggles of others.

That may sound like a lot, but we’re lucky to have one powerful parenting tool that will knock out all three of those in one fell swoop: children’s books about kindness.

Here is the full list! ->

The best children's books that encourage kindness toward others

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Maybe you have a toddler throwing the tantrum to end all temper tantrums over the fact that you won’t let them stick a phone charger in the light socket. Or a grade-schooler who loses at Monopoly and flips the board over then storms off. Or a tween who rolls their eyes at 97.3 percent of what you say.

It’s not exactly clear how you’re supposed to help your child get from point A to point B.

You’re lucky if you can get them to eat broccoli, let alone grow into a mature adult who writes prompt thank-you notes and volunteers regularly just because and remembers to call their mother more than once a year.

That’s why when I came across advice from Harvard researchers on how to raise kind and caring kids, I got a little excited.

Why you need to give your child a 'kindness dilemma'

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Simple reminders kindness

Some images?

EbxhhROXkAAQAEC.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“I think probably kindness is my number one attribute in a human being. I’ll put it before any of the things like courage, bravery, generosity, or anything else. Kindness—that simple word. To be kind—it covers everything, to my mind. If you’re kind, that’s it.” – Roald Dahl

To people like Dahl, kindness is the most important virtue to have. If you are kind, you are courageous, brave, and generous, as well.

Comes from this site -

15 Quotes on Kindness That Remind Us to Be Patient

Chees!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Try - power of kindness

Empathy is the sense of connection one feels to others and how this can move someone to be kind. If you are thinking about the needs of others and are sensing how your actions can impact others, then you are exhibiting empathy. Showing compassion to others is important in having an empathetic kindness.

Altruism explores how much a person is willing to give and hand over to others, without expecting anything in return. This is important in kindness because while we can show kindness in hopes to have that favour returned, a beautiful part of kindness is being able to show it without a greater motive behind it. Altruism boils down to an element of trust because when being kind, you must trust that what you share or give is going to be received well and not taken advantage of.

The power of kindness - McCrindle

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How to Raise Kids to Be Kinder

One of my main parenting goals is to intentionally raise kind kids.

Even in a world that’s unkind.

Even when we’re going in twenty directions, have meals to make and several school projects to complete.

Because when my husband and I sat down years ago to list the character traits we value, kindness always topped our list.

So in our family, we follow the Golden Rule.

We believe in the “Don’t say something if you don’t have anything kind to say” guideline.

And we choose the “Think about others, not just yourself” mentality.

But raising kind kids doesn’t happen on accident.

As parents, we can’t just cross our fingers and hope our kids turn out kind one day.

Read a lot more here -

How to Raise Kids to Be Kinder

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness things to avoid

One example -

Have you ever done something nice for someone else, ‘just because’. It wasn’t to repay them or because you had to—it was simply because you wanted to. Well then, you’ve done a random act of kindness. Read on to learn how to do more random acts of kindness in your life to boost your mood and improve the lives of others.

Random Acts of Kindness: List of 99+ Ideas & Examples

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From recent emails -

Harold Klemp quotes giving {Eckankar?}

Pass blessings along to others

Ricard quotes altruism

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Help people through a tough time (acts of service)

This next way to be a blessing to others, is more like traditional acts of service. It’s about ways to ease someone’s burdens when they’re going through a tough time, such as loss of a family member, unemployment, new motherhood, cancer treatment, etc. As for specific ways to help, the possibilities are pretty much endless…

Pay for someone’s groceries

Cook a meal for them

Throw them a party (for birthday, baby shower, last chemo treatment, etc.)

Offer to clean their house (or wash their car, mow their lawn, etc.)

Babysit for them

10 Ways to Be a Blessing to Others | Divine Creative Love

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“I have also come to understand that although some people are naturally happier than others, their happiness is still vulnerable and incomplete, and that achieving durable happiness as a way of being is a skill. It requires sustained effort in training the mind and developing a set of human qualities, such as inner peace, mindfulness, and altruistic love.”

~ Matthieu Ricard, Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill

More at Good Reads site - as always!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“Each of us can make a difference. It doesn’t have to be anything spectacular. Keep the neighbor’s kid while she goes to the store or to the doctor, or befriend somebody in need. I don’t mean you have to take them into your home, but you can find a place for them to stay or see that they get food. You can do an act of kindness every single solitary day, because it’s needed.”

Opal Lee

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“Gratitude begins in our hearts and then dovetails into behavior. It almost always makes you willing to be of service, which is where the joy resides. It means that you are willing to stop being such a jerk. When you are aware of all that has been given to you, in your lifetime and the past few days, it is hard not to be humbled, and pleased to give back.”

Anne Lamott, Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers