• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Teaching kids to be kind

I recently asked my friends and family, “When you think about instilling kindness in your kids, what do you mean by kindness?” They had many different responses: compassion, generosity, empathy, justice, alleviating suffering. But every answer involved an underlying consideration for others, rather than acting only out of self-interest. It makes sense that this is also the definition of humane, because kindness is the most fundamental expression of what it means to be a human being.

Kindness is about “seeing with your heart,” explains Angela C. Santomero, author of Radical Kindness: The Life-Changing Power of Giving and Receiving and cocreator of Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood. For our littlest kids, this might mean patting the back of a worried friend, waving to an elderly neighbor, or breaking a cookie in half to share with a younger brother. For older kids, kindness might be inviting a lonely classmate to join their lunch table, comforting someone who’s sad or scared, or donating some of their allowance to a cause they care about.

6 Ways to Teach Kids to Be Kind

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness offer comfort ...

Kindness goes a long way. “There’s nobody here but us chickens.” This is one of my favorite lines from The Lazy Man’s Guide to Enlightenment by Thaddeus Golas. Underneath the impressive facades of the high fliers are the same set of emotions we all are born with. Celebrities suffer from stage fright and depression too.

You have the power to offer loving kindness and generosity of spirit to all you come into contact with. It isn’t instinctual to be kind to strangers or people who scare you. But it is a choice. It is a choice that Jesus and Ghandi used intentionally. And in the long run it is a winning choice. The alternative, being mean or stingy with those you don’t know well, can get you a reputation as a Scrooge.

From this blog -

All By Yourself? 10 Ways To Overcome Loneliness

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The healing power of kindness is amazing, but not many of us realize it. Indeed, just a small act of kindness can have a big positive impact on the world.

With our actions we are shaping our world, and hence the kind of life we are living. Different actions bring different results: an act of anger will bring hatred and violence, an act of kindness will bring love and compassion.

The Healing Power of Kindness: How Small Acts of Kindness Can Make a Big Difference

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I think what’s happened in the world today is that we see poverty, abuse, disease, war, hunger, bullying, and violence so often that it is overwhelming. We feel dispirited. What we must remember, no matter how distressing the news is, that we have the power to make a change. It starts with us understanding that because we are human we have been bestowed with the power to change the world with kindness.

What we need to remember is that when we offer kindness to strangers we not only brighten their day, we brighten our own. When we express kindness to each other we establish or strengthen connections with each other. Sometimes it’s just a fabulous reminder of our humanness.

From the Tiny Buddha site -

There Are a Gazillion Little Ways to Be Kind (and It Benefits You Too)

Sheila Burke kindness - or being better humans?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
An experiment in kindness, Good Money is all about inspiring others to do good. It involves donating money to charity using one and five dollar bills that have been stamped with "this money has been used for good." By marking the money, the team behind the initiative at Good Virus hope to motivate others to join them.

Believing in the viral nature of kindness, project organizers hope that when people see the stamp on the bills they will also want to use the money for a good cause.

Now in its experimental stage, monitoring the Good Money is key. People who come across the stamps are encouraged to visit the website where they can log their location along with the bill's serial number on a map in order to keep track of where kind acts are taking place.

Anyone can get involved in the experiment by buying a stamp or even simply writing "this money has been used for good" with a pen or marker on bills used for making a donation. It's that simple. The most important thing is that the message spreads to as many people as possible.

A Genius Way to Make Kindness Absolutely Contagious - Goodnet

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Very first to catch my attention -

Nicole Phillips is a champion for using kindness to overcome all of life's difficulties, including her own battle with breast cancer. She spreads the message of the healing power of kindness through her public speaking and weekly column, Kindness is Contagious, which runs in newspapers in North Dakota and Minnesota. She is also the author of the book, Kindness is Contagious: 100 Stories to Remind You God is Good and So are Most People.

More kindness podcasts here -

The Kindness Podcast

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-pocket-book-of-kindness-anne-moreland/book/9781788287463.html

Pocket book of kindness ...

Anne Moreland kindness?

Human kindness is a universal language that transcends all of our differences and has the power to cure many ills. Sometimes it can be a challenge to think kindly of others or to appreciate kindness when you see it. With more than 500 quotations from familiar names, The Pocket Book of Kindness will inspire you to find compassion, patience and understanding when you most need a warm thought.

Cheers!

FineLinen

"To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness. --Confucius-

91861235ecd11e6061e5fe1642ad27ac.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We have heard people talk about this term more than once: empathy. What is it? Empathy is the ability to perceive and interpret what another person is feeling or maybe even thinking. That is to say, it’s a way of understanding and comprehending what another person is feeling. It means to put yourself in someone else’s shoes.

Well-developed empathy implies not only understanding what the other person is feeling, but also anticipating their response to such feelings.

Maybe stating it this way makes it sound like empathy is metaphysical or some kind of divine skill. But the truth is that many of us at one point or another of our lives develop empathy, to a lesser or greater degree. It would be good to develop and promote it to its maximum potential, because it will make us stronger people and will strengthen our relationships.

Empathy: Putting Yourself in Someone Else's Shoes - Exploring your mind

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
So what is kindness?

Kindness is an emotional reaction that is felt by you as the giver but also by the recipient or receiver. Kindness is not only words; it can also be an action or behaviour towards someone or something and it should mean that you care about others to the extent that you don’t expect anything back in return. Kindness can be as simple as a smile, a wave, a “hello” or it could be a lifeline to someone who needs help.

Kindness

Ciao!

FineLinen

iu

“I'm not asking you to walk in my shoes; I'd never wish my afflictions on anyone. But could you walk beside me on secure ground and reach to hold my hand?”

“In someone's darkest hour your simple act of kindness may imitate the sunrise, and to sad eyes you become their only source of light.” - Richelle E. Goodrich-

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Positive psychology books kindness

Plus suggested searches ...

For example -

Research is just at the precipice of trying to understand the positive effects that random acts of kindness can give.

I have highlighted two studies I have found while researching this topic. Hopefully, this will give you more insight into the current understanding of kindness as an intervention and the multiple modalities it can be used in.

Can Random Acts of Kindness Increase Well-Being? (Incl. 22 Ideas)

All the best!