• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

FineLinen

“I don't want my life to be defined by what is etched on a tombstone. I want it to be defined by what is etched in the lives and hearts of those I've touched.” - Steve Maraboli-

"I have found that it is the small everyday deed of ordinary folks that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -J. R. R. Tolkein-

“If your understanding of the divine made you kinder, more empathetic, and impelled you to express sympathy in concrete acts of loving-kindness, this was good theology. But if your notion of God made you unkind, belligerent, cruel, of self-righteous, or if it led you to kill in God's name, it was bad theology. ” -Karen Armstrong-

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Try - happiness virtues kindness

Wouldn’t it be great if you could walk into a store and buy lifelong happiness? The idea’s not as fanciful as it sounds—as long as whatever you buy is meant for someone else.

Two recent studies suggest that giving to others makes us happy, even happier than spending on ourselves. What’s more, our kindness might create a virtuous cycle that promotes lasting happiness and altruism.

Read more at the greater good site -

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/kindness_makes_you_happy_and_happiness_makes_you_kind

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
At that same site ...

Six Ways to Boost Your “Habits of Helping”

Yet one thing I’ve learned from my own experiences of loss and hardship is that, when all else fails, we can still give to others. And doing so will always be our salvation, our reconnection to the world.

Research backs this up. Whether we are looking at studies of older adults, middle-aged women, or preteens, we see that altruistic behavior casts a halo effect over people’s lives, giving them greater longevity, lower rates of heart disease, and better mental health. We prosper—physically, mentally, emotionally—under the canopy of positive emotions that arise through the simple act of giving.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/six_ways_to_become_more_altruistic

Ways to be more altruistic ...

All the best!

FineLinen

“Gratitude bestows reverence.....changing forever how we experience life and the world.” - John Milton-

“Some love comes like the wind off the sea, while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness." -Raymond E. Feist-

“The worst disability in life is a bad attitude.”

FineLinen

85ebc1f17d3cfc33b21ea5d413c657eb.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting site! -

People with integrity view kindness as a valuable trait. To you, nothing makes more sense than to just be good to someone for no reason at all. Even if another is sour towards you or has a bad mindset on life, you will find a way to see the positive aspects of their life and still show kindness. This doesn’t mean you are weak, no indeed, it just means that you are strong enough to bypass getting angry and disliking people, and you can easily turn the other cheek.

Read more -

10 Powerful Traits of People with Integrity: Are You One?

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here is a HUGE list of quotes - some familiar - some not so much ...

Kindness - Wikiquote

"We cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of one who gives and kindles joy in the heart of one who receives. All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other, not even those whom you catch committing an evil deed. We condemn others only because we shun knowing ourselves. When we gaze at our own failings, we see such a morass of filth that nothing in another can equal it. That is why we turn away, and make much of the faults of others. Keep away from the spilling of speech. Instead of condemning others, strive to reach inner peace. Keep silent, refrain from judgement. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult, outrage, and will shield your glowing hearts against the evil that creeps around."

~ Seraphim of Sarov Meadows

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How To Be A More Gentle Person

People don’t usually associate being gentle with being strong. And I get it. But the more I thought about it, the more I started to wonder if there’s really anything stronger than being gentle?

I used to think that to be a good person, a gentle person, I had to put up with everything, be nice no matter how I was treated, no matter how harmful the environment, no matter how unhappy I was inside. Now I know that in order for gentleness to be my true strength, I need to show it, and myself, the proper respect.

Comes from tis site - yet to explore it fully -

How to Use Your Gentleness as Your Strength

All the best!

FineLinen

iu

"To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness." -Confucius-

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Feel into worry with kindness

Now we have the opportunity to deepen our awareness and investigate the feeling. Here you may choose to put your hand on your heart or wherever you feel the sensation in your body. This is one way of signaling to the brain a sense of love or kindness to the feeling, which may shift it all by itself. The brain also has to map the sensation of the touch with is inversely correlated with mental rumination, turning the volume down on negative thinking.

Comes from the wonderful mindful site -

mindful.org/5-steps-to-worrying-less/

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Another blog at that site -

Kindness is a value that is often disregarded. Why is kindness so undervalued? In part, it’s because kind people may be viewed as “enablers” by some, or worse, as “suckers” by the cynical. Thus, the cynic’s view that one is a “sucker,” if one behaves in a kind manner toward others, reflects a belief system that success is only achieved through stepping on or ignoring others. Yet, the cynic’s behavior rarely results in true happiness—that sense of feeling loved, that one’s true destiny and purpose are fulfilled, and that what one is doing matters in the most profound sense.

Why Random Acts of Kindness Matter to Your Well-being

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We are all capable of helping and hurting. We are all giving at times and selfish at others. Every last one of us has the potential for darkness and light. So forgive others, forgive yourself, look for light in the world, and shine your own. And never forget that people can grow and change. Never stop believing in the healing power of love and kindness. And most importantly, never stop believing in yourself.

Lori Deschene

Her site is well-worth a visit -

How to Free Yourself from Bitterness by Forgiving Others

Enjoy!

FineLinen

"The catch phrase for the day is 'Do an act of kindness. Help one person smile.' -Harvey Ball-

"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet-

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Be Kind and Do Good for Others:

Research from the University of California, Berkeley, has shown that altruism makes people feel good. Being kind, paying it forward, doing acts of service, and volunteering all make us feel good. And, they do more than make us feel good, individually. They make the recipient feel good as well. Being on the receiving end of an act of kindness makes the recipient much more likely to be kind and altruistic, in turn. One act builds a virtuous circle of kindness and builds social capital in our communities, creating the trust and security we all require, to be happy.

5 Ways to Build a Happier World

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
November’s Happy Act theme is kindness. People who practice kindness show more compassion and are more willing to help people in need. According to Character Strengths Interventions: A Field Guide for Practitioners by Ryan Niemiec, Psy.D., when we add more kindness into our lives, we help alleviate some of the negative effects of stress and anxiety. Kindness is also associated with other important character strengths, such as gratitude, leadership and love.

Loads more here -

Kindness Counts When Sharing Happiness

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just before he died, Aldous Huxley said, "After 45 years of research & study, the best advice I can give people is to be a little kinder to each other."

The word "kind" stems from "kin"—those of the same family or tribe, those we are close to, those of the same kind.

Deep down we are all of the same kind. We all want to feel at ease, to be treated with respect, to feel cared for and appreciated. None of us want to feel criticized, rejected, humiliated, ignored or manipulated. To reduce it to its simplest terms, we each want to feel loved. I do not mean love in a romantic sense, or some outpouring of emotion, but simple caring. This is the universal bottom line of every human relationship. We all want to feel cared for. We want to be treated kindly.

If each of us would like to be treated with kindness, then it should be our intent to give this to others. But often we do the exact opposite. Instead of trying to ensure that the other person feels cared for and appreciated, we end up in a vicious circle of recrimination and attack.

Read much more at this site! -

The Spirit of Now

Enjoy!