• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When I wake up in the morning, I recite a prayer not only in my belief in a higher power but in knowing that the new day is endowed with new possibilities for eternal impact unlike yesterday or tomorrow. This awareness inspires me to seize the day and seek opportunities to unleash kindness in every encounter, for I will not pass this way again.

If you want to create a life that fulfills your purpose and leaves the world a better place, if you want to create a legacy, here are some suggestions.

1. Be an agent of kindness.

When you walk into your local coffee shop or go to work, what can you do to make someone’s day? Pay for coffee for the person standing behind you? Smile and make eye contact with someone passing in the hall? Perhaps the person was having a tough day and by acknowledging them, you’ve made an impact on their lives. No encounter is random but an opportunity to spread some light.

To read the rest -

6 Simple Acts to Make the World a Better Place - Tiny Buddha

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
An important part of our growth and motivation as people lies in contributing to the greater good, being part of something greater than ourselves. While “making the world a better place” often calls to mind images of great leaders at the head of mighty social movements, white-coated researchers developing new medicines or energy sources, or geniuses dreaming up theories that explain the world around us, there is plenty of room for less lofty acts that create small measures of happiness in the lives of those around us. Little gestures can create or strengthen our sense of community and of shared humanity, lightening our burdens for just a moment and giving us something to smile about. And that’s no small matter.

Here are ten little gestures, all of them easily within our grasp, that can spread goodwill in our own communities, as well as increase our own sense of mindfulness about the people around us and our relationship to them.

For the full article -

10 Small Ways to Make the World a Better Place

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
kindness.png

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
To hear parents talk, there are more than books and baubles on their wishlist. Most of us wish for a kinder world. At Doing Good Together™, we believe that this begins with children. We believe that raising children to care about others and the common good is an imperative -- and the most likely way to heal our planet in the years to come. With this in mind, we offer a few tips to satisfy everyone's wishes for happier children, more connected families, and a better world.

A Parent’s Wishlist for Raising Caring Kids — Doing Good Together™

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
More from that site ...

Random acts of kindness can be wonderful ... and fun, but DGT's goal is to help families put an intentional, thoughtful and daily focus on compassion and giving. And that's more important than you might think. Harvard researchers found that a large majority of middle and high-school students believe (and are sure their parents and teachers agree) that personal success is more important than being a caring person. Is this really the message we want to convey to our children? You can counter this by sharing the kindness message with your children each day. Here are simple ways to weave generosity and empathy into your routine.

Live Kind: Compassion as a Way of Life — Doing Good Together™

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
If you are one of the lucky ones, the world of a homeless person is completely foreign from your own. But without the support of friends and family, how many of us could survive something such as the loss of a spouse, a debilitating physical illness, or the loss of employment? Many of the people living on the streets today were struck by a personal tragedy and lacked a support system to get help when they needed it. But you can help right now. By giving of your time, money, services or skills, you can make the difference in the life of a homeless person. Here's how:

9 Ways You Can Help the Homeless

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Found this article -

Be kind to yourself. We’re all going through a lot at the moment and everyone adjusts to change and upheaval differently. Don’t criticize your coping skills or beat yourself up for every mistake you make. Self-compassion is an important part of building resilience, so go easy on yourself.

Comes from this site -

Surviving Tough Times by Building Resilience - HelpGuide.org

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A few poems on the theme of kindness -

A Year's Risings with Mary Oliver: kindness

Here's one verse of many -

I know a man of such

Mildness and kindness sit is trying to

Change my lie. He does not

Preach, teach, but simply is. It is

Astonishing, for he is Christ’s ambassador

Truly, by rule and act. But, more,

He is kind with the sort of kindness that shines

Out, but is resolute, not fooled. He has

Eaten the dark hours and could also, I think,

Solider for God, riding out

Under the storm clouds, against the world’s pride and unkindness

With both unassailable sweetness, and consoling word.

Enjoy!

FineLinen

7.burst-of-sunshine-into-someones-day-kindness-picture-quotes.jpg

“Even small gestures of kindness have the potential to reap enormous rewards. Only the shortsighted man believes otherwise.” - Erika Johansen

“Our wings are small but the ripples of the heart are infinite.” - Amit Ray

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting interview -

In your new book, Humankind, you make the argument that, humans are not as intrinsically selfish as much literature would have us believe. Since you wrote it, the coronavirus pandemic has changed everything. Do you stand by your argument?

Obviously I think I’m right! The old fashioned “realist” position has been to assume that civilization is only a thin veneer, and that the moment there’s a crisis we reveal our true selves, and it turns out that we’re all selfish animals. What I’m trying to do in this book is to turn this narrative around, to show that actually, over thousands of years, people have actually evolved to be friendly.

There’s always selfish behavior. There are lots of examples of people hoarding. But we’ve seen in this pandemic that the vast majority of behavior from normal citizens is actually pro-social in nature. People are willing to help their neighbors. That is the bigger picture that we’re seeing right now.

Read the rest -

"Acts of kindness are really contagious." Historian Rutger Bregman Argues for a New Way of Thinking About Humanity.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
KIndness is number 2 on this list of values to live by -

Kindness is about treating others the way you want to be treated.

It’s more than just holding your tongue when you’re tempted to say something unkind; kindness looks for ways to make life better for others. It takes delight in lifting others up and reminding them they’re not alone, invisible, or insignificant.

Kindness and compassion are closely related; the latter involves the readiness to see a situation from someone else’s perspective and to give them the benefit of the doubt. It also takes into consideration what the other person has gone through and chooses to respond with kindness rather than anger or vengefulness.

Both demonstrate at least a subliminal appreciation for the connectedness of all living beings; when you show kindness and compassion to others, you benefit (at least) as much as they do.

29 Of The Most Important Values To Live By

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From another psych blog -

Kindness:

We're often so focused on boosting our own happiness that we ignore how we affect others. This is a huge mistake, because kindness is, counterintuitively, one of the best ways to create a happy life. Acts of kindness fuel a longer-lasting, more enduring type of happiness. So when you build this skill, you live more of your days happily.

Here are just some of the ways to be more kind:
The rest of the blog is worth a read or two -

10 Skills You Need to Live a Happy Life

Enjoy!

FineLinen

"I remember being in India one time where I saw people who were struggling to find food at the bottom of a trash can, and then I walked into my hotel and saw people arguing over how the quality of food at the buffet wasn't good enough." -Jay Shetty

photo-1561312200-a264f8d89616