• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The KEY and CRUCIAL Importance of Consensus in the Sciences

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Twice in the past week one misguided person or another has posted a thread on RF containing the claim that "consensus has no role in the sciences". As it happens, very little is further from the truth than that.

If you are curious about the vital and key role of consensus in the sciences (and who wouldn't be, right?), please feel free to discuss the issue with me via PM. I would love to help anyone who has a genuine interest in this topic arrive at a sound and solid understanding of it.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to engage willfully confused people in fruitless public debate. I am wrapped up in bringing out a book of poetry in about 45 days, writing a book of philosophy that is due out early next year, and chairing a very active and growing literary/scientific society. On top of which I'm a total klutz and goofball at time management. Hence, I just don't have the time to suffer fools via public debate.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not in the least opposed to having my ideas challenged, I am merely opposed to having my time on this rock wasted by people whose challenges are not made in good faith and in intellectual honesty.

I will respond to any intellectually honest person who inquires via PM regarding the role of consensus in the sciences and why -- for example -- when 98% of all working scientists in a particular field agree on some matter, it is time to sit up and listen.

I will also provide guidance to various resources such as books, articles, etc. so that you can study for yourself the fascinating history of denying that consensus is of key, vital, and crucial importance in the sciences. The tactic was first used by the tobacco companies as a ploy to dupe people into believing smoking did not cause cancer. It is currently being used by shills for the fossil fuel companies to dupe people into believing there is no link between greenhouse gasses and global climate change. It's a tried and tested ploy of miscreants the world over. Please do not become their fool and tool.

atanu

Premium Member
Twice in the past week one misguided person or another has posted a thread on RF containing the claim that "consensus has no role in the sciences". As it happens, very little is further from the truth than that.

If you are curious about the vital and key role of consensus in the sciences (and who wouldn't be, right?), please feel free to discuss the issue with me via PM. I would love to help anyone who has a genuine interest in this topic arrive at a sound and solid understanding of it.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to engage willfully confused people in fruitless public debate. I am wrapped up in bringing out a book of poetry in about 45 days, writing a book of philosophy that is due out early next year, and chairing a very active and growing literary/scientific society. On top of which I'm a total klutz and goofball at time management. Hence, I just don't have the time to suffer fools via public debate.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not in the least opposed to having my ideas challenged, I am merely opposed to having my time on this rock wasted by people whose challenges are not made in good faith and in intellectual honesty.

I will respond to any intellectually honest person who inquires via PM regarding the role of consensus in the sciences and why -- for example -- when 98% of all working scientists in a particular field agree on some matter, it is time to sit up and listen.

I will also provide guidance to various resources such as books, articles, etc. so that you can study for yourself the fascinating history of denying that consensus is of key, vital, and crucial importance in the sciences. The tactic was first used by the tobacco companies as a ploy to dupe people into believing smoking did not cause cancer. It is currently being used by shills for the fossil fuel companies to dupe people into believing there is no link between greenhouse gasses and global climate change. It's a tried and tested ploy of miscreants the world over. Please do not become their fool and tool.

In my view, scientific method itself is ontologically neutral and does not entail any particular interpretation of its models. It relies on scientific validation but requires no consensus as such.

The problem is, in my opinion, passing of an ontological view, as science. This happens from votaries of all kinds of ‘ism’.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
In my view, scientific method itself is ontologically neutral and does not entail any particular interpretation of its models. It relies on scientific validation but requires no consensus as such.

The problem is, in my opinion, passing of an ontological view, as science. This happens from votaries of all kinds of ‘ism’.
I agree with one.
The scientific result has to totally tally with the nature Created and set by G-d, if it does not it will be incorrect whether the scientists have reached a consensus or not. Right, please?

Regards

Last edited: