• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Job hunt I have been putting off

Laika

Premium Member
hey everyone,

I've had depression for seven years since leaving/"dropping out" of university at the start of the second year. After finishing my degree from home back in August 2013, I have been waiting and hoping the depression would pass in order for me to get a job.its got alot easier but it's january 2016 and it hasn't gone completely. At the same time I can't justify the "status quo" of being in some sort of purgatory anymore. there is now a big gap in my work history, and with no previous employer "doing nothing" will only make it worse.

I'm wondering whether this is simply a question of really low self-confidence and just "getting on with it" and managing what remains of the depression as best I can. I'm not trying to make a point or anything but RF is the only place I can unload and talk honestly about stuff. so I hope you don't mind.

my parents seem to be "no where" on this and just bury the subject in silence or it becomes some big overwhelming commitment and either way I'm robbed of any decision making power in the process. In otherwords anything I do will be off my own back and I will have to sustain the effort- no matter what stupid, idiotic reason my parents find for me "not doing it right"; whether its the fact I'll need money to commute to do unpaid voluntary work when my dad is paranoid at even the thought of spending money or otherwise take a job that does pay and covers the bus fare but which I am hideously over-qualifed for and then have to put up with my parents saying "its not good enough for you" (roughly translates as "its not good enough for them"). when the subject has come up with my dad, it very quickly turns into a political conversation about how screwed up everything is; i.e. exactly the sort of impersonal and de-motivating conversation I don't need. I have no real substantive relationship with my mum; we live in the same house but we just don't talk about anything.

more generally, I just don't see where it is going. I can't connect the idea of getting a job with anything I want to do. it feels like an imposition. being "realistic" means constantly lowering expectings making my depression worse and robbing me of any motivation.there is no real career goal in mind. its not as if I can't do it, but simply being told "get a job" is a the least motivating reason to get one. I've stayed in touch with a freind of mine and everytime we chat the issues of jobs comes up; I know he's trying to do the right thing but I can't be honest with him because basically I really want to tell him to **** off. trying to say anything like "I need the time" or "I want a reason" just feels selfish (even though that would probably help with the depression). the stigma of being depressed AND unemployed means this subject is off the menu with anyone on Facebook, etc. I have come to despise facebook because being honest with people about how bad things have been/are makes me feel like a burden and based on the fact most of the conversations are outgoing, they probably don't care anyway.

the joy of anonymity means I don't care so much on RF as I'm not going to suddenly bump into you on the street and have to lie through my teeth about how wonderful everything is. its a strange life when you only ever tell the truth about yourself online. even what I've said so far in this thread is more than what everyone else knows about me. that at least give you an idea of how toxic it feels to be in my shoes anyway.

the depression is bad but has ceased to be as psychologically crippling as it once was. there are still a few trigger issues which screw me up, but they are now relatively limited. the biggest step forward would be looking for a job and simply sustaining the effort. getting one isn't really in my control but the past two months I've done everything I reasonably can to sort out the depression and get myself ready for a new year.

anyway. rant over.

advice is very welcome (not specifically on jobs but just managing depression whilst looking for one so I can convince myself to take that first step). if you want to ask me a question thats fine. really all I'm looking for is just to get the "thought process" going that I convince myself I am actually going to do this and take that first step. I don't get much support offline and just letting off steam on here is the best I can do.

Thanks for listening. :)

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I don't understand depression in the same way you do. I have never experienced it, so I would feel like I would be doing you a disservice by offering advice on something I don't fully understand. With that said, for what it's worth, I am wishing you all the happiness and fulfillment this world can offer you. Good luck!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Do it so you can buy more video games or something else fun. Maybe you like camping or perhaps you like to eat at nice restaurants. Also it helps to have pocket money if you run into people that you want to hang with. After you start working, for example, its going to suck when other people go to lunch without you. You'll have to bring your lunch with you, at least at first.

My advice when selecting a job is...go for one that is near to where you live. Secondly pay attention to your appearance. Maybe it shouldn't matter how you look, but neatness matters. Third, do attempt to get promoted. If you aren't seeking promotions then you employers don't understand you, because after all they sought promotions all the time.

Yerda

Veteran Member
more generally, I just don't see where it is going. I can't connect the idea of getting a job with anything I want to do.
Am I right in thinking that you want to live independently?

I wish you the best with whatever you decide or whatever life chucks your way.

Jumi

Good luck! I think getting a job, even if it's not ideal, can help with depression. Once you get the job, you'll want to get good at it. Even practice on free time, visualize and plan your routines at first. Your brain will rewire to help you. Getting good will give you the confidence you feel you're missing out on.

Laika

Premium Member
I don't understand depression in the same way you do. I have never experienced it, so I would feel like I would be doing you a disservice by offering advice on something I don't fully understand. With that said, for what it's worth, I am wishing you all the happiness and fulfillment this world can offer you. Good luck!

that means alot. thanks. :)

Do it so you can buy more video games or something else fun. Maybe you like camping or perhaps you like to eat at nice restaurants. Also it helps to have pocket money if you run into people that you want to hang with. After you start working, for example, its going to suck when other people go to lunch without you. You'll have to bring your lunch with you, at least at first.

My advice when selecting a job is...go for one that is near to where you live. Secondly pay attention to your appearance. Maybe it shouldn't matter how you look, but neatness matters. Third, do attempt to get promoted. If you aren't seeking promotions then you employers don't understand you, because after all they sought promotions all the time.

I'll keep your advice in mind. :) it taken me a long time to realise that my appearence does matter. it's weird but I decided to put on my black button up shirt and looked "better" and started to feel that way too. a very worn wooly jumper isn't quite as impressive. it ages me alot. wearing a hoody isn't much good either.

Am I right in thinking that you want to live independently?

I wish you the best with whatever you decide or whatever life chucks your way.

thanks. at the moment, it looks like I will be getting a job whilst I continue to live my parents. that keeps the costs down, but is not ideal. moving out is longer term when my CV is strong enough to apply for paid full-time work. it require to move out to do it, as there simply are not the jobs in my area anyway.

Good luck! I think getting a job, even if it's not ideal, can help with depression. Once you get the job, you'll want to get good at it. Even practice on free time, visualize and plan your routines at first. Your brain will rewire to help you. Getting good will give you the confidence you feel you're missing out on.

yeah, that is what I am hoping. thanks. :)

Yerda

Veteran Member
thanks. at the moment, it looks like I will be getting a job whilst I continue to live my parents. that keeps the costs down, but is not ideal. moving out is longer term when my CV is strong enough to apply for paid full-time work. it require to move out to do it, as there simply are not the jobs in my area anyway.
Just getting out and doing something can help sometimes. Good luck.