• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jews killed Jesus

Dunemeister

that made me stop and go... wait a minute... shouldn't there be more about this guy?

And your next thought should have been, "Now why should I think something like that?"

That said, I'm gonna go read link number two from big O.

Good start. You may also want to check into contemporary scholars such as N.T. Wright.

Oberon

Yeah, big O does his research - even if link number two was link number one. :D

Fixed the link. Here it is again: http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...922-addressing-dogsgod-mythic-jesus-myth.html.

However, the first link provides citations and a lot of basic information (albeit over several posts).

The fact is that historical jesus research has been ongoing since Reimarus began to question received wisdom concerning the NT in the early 1700's. So much critical research was done that almost by the start of the 20th century Albert Schweitzer could write an influential review of historical Jesus research Von Reimarus zu Wrede: Eine Geschichte der Leben-Jesu-Forschung. And didn't stop their. The one thing they all have in common, from the very skeptical to the "gospel truth" analyses, is that Jesus was historical.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The story is pure fiction. How does one base an agenda on fiction? Pilate was willing to free Jesus but the Jews called for his execution. Read the story.

If you think the story is pure fiction, why are you even concerned about who is "most guilty?"

I've read the story probably literally 400 times. It reads the same every time. I see equal guilt between Jews and Gentiles in putting Jesus to death every time I read the story. I've never seen it any other way - not when I was seven, or seventeen, or forty seven.

DarkSun

:eltiT
The story is pure fiction. How does one base an agenda on fiction? Pilate was willing to free Jesus but the Jews called for his execution. Read the story.

Not pure fiction...

Read history.

And I think you missed her point, IMO. Both the Romans and the Jews were to blame in the story.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Are Muslims responsible for the terrorist acts of radical Muslims? Are Jews responsible for the terrorist acts of radical Jews? Are Christians responsible for the terrorist acts of radical Christians?
In answer to your question, I was merely pointing out a double-standard being employed by TashaN (The_Truth). The idea being that someone who is as adept as he for pointing out that all Muslims are not guilty of the atrocities committed by some Muslims, one would think that he would see right through the fallacy of his own reasoning outlined in the OP. Perhaps that expecting a lot though. Evidently the point sailed over the heads of others too.

kai

ragamuffin
Details, details, details... kai. Really, get with the program, man. :)

as my son would say "This does my head in" i just dont get it ? the blame thing? As the story goes God scrificed his own son, Jesus went to the cross because he was supposed to, there is no blame , sheesh and people wonder why there is Atheists about. stop moving the goal posts people.

I dont beleive any of it but i feel the the blood libel needs addressing whenever i see it.

DarkSun

as my son would say "This does my head in" i just dont get it ? the blame thing? As the story goes God scrificed his own son, Jesus went to the cross because he was supposed to, there is no blame , sheesh and people wonder why there is Atheists about. stop moving the goal posts people.

I dont beleive any of it but i feel the the blood libel needs addressing whenever i see it.

Agreed. :eek:
It's funny, really.
Didn't Hitler use the whole "the Jews killed Jesus" as a basis for his discrimination?
Jews didn't kill Jesus. People killed Jesus.
Our tendancy to persecute others is part of the reason that He had to die... according to the story, anyway.
It's kind of ironic how there are Christians who place the blame on one group of people despite that. It's almost as if He died for nothing. :S

And isn't it a good thing that Jesus died, anyway?
Why are people talking about His death as if it were a bad thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: kai

imaginaryme

Fixed the link. Here it is again: http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...922-addressing-dogsgod-mythic-jesus-myth.html.

However, the first link provides citations and a lot of basic information (albeit over several posts).

The fact is that historical jesus research has been ongoing since Reimarus began to question received wisdom concerning the NT in the early 1700's. So much critical research was done that almost by the start of the 20th century Albert Schweitzer could write an influential review of historical Jesus research Von Reimarus zu Wrede: Eine Geschichte der Leben-Jesu-Forschung. And didn't stop their. The one thing they all have in common, from the very skeptical to the "gospel truth" analyses, is that Jesus was historical.
Aha! Now I get it... I can understand scholarship. There is an agenda behind my skepticism, which is not currently relevant. Good luck with the dissertation.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
But in any case, there are no independent witnesses or sources, other than those given in the gospels, I don't think the gospels are reliable sources as historical records.

Exactly. In this regard they are nothing but anti-Jewish propaganda, just like this thread!

How surprising to see you enthusiastically wallowing in blood libel ... :clap

Couldn't say it better myself. Disgusting propaganda.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Couldn't say it better myself. Disgusting propaganda.
Consider that the producer of this thread is also busy in some active holocaust denying on another thread, I see nothing surprising in blaming the Jews for the death of Jesus in the old antisemitic blood label. its OK to deny some of the facts of WWII, AND propagating a primitive blood label with no connection to reality at the same time. there is an obvious pattern here.
this thread is not deserving of any coherent answers by the Jewish members, seeing as im sure im not the only member here who's family was butchered by the Nazis, or betrayed to the Nazis by Christians who propagated the primitive Jews killed Jesus mythos.
As for the rest of the thread, its always amazing to see what some of our more superficial members reveal about themselves and think on the subject.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
(I don't think he broke any Roman law. The Jews just wanted him to die)

This doesn't make sense to me Tashan. If he didn't break Roman law, why was he condemned by a Roman Governor and crucified by Roman soldiers?

DarkSun

This doesn't make sense to me Tashan. If he didn't break Roman law, why was he condemned by a Roman Governor and crucified by Roman soldiers?

Obviously, because Jesus was sending Jewish wine-makers bankrupt. It was all a compsiracy to stop Him turning water into wine!

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Wow, Jews writing anti-Jewish propaganda. Weird.

Don't believe everything people tell you online.

And by the way, haven't you ever seen Dave Chappell's skit about the black KKK Grand Imperial Wizard? Sheeze! ;)

Oberon

1. Roman law wasn't all that clear. Even for roman citizens, the authorities had a great deal of power.

2. Jesus wasn't a roman citizen. He didn't have to break any laws in order to be executed for being a public nuisance. All he had to do was cause enough trouble.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
1. Roman law wasn't all that clear. Even for roman citizens, the authorities had a great deal of power.

2. Jesus wasn't a roman citizen. He didn't have to break any laws in order to be executed for being a public nuisance. All he had to do was cause enough trouble.

Your points seem irrelevant to mine.

Oberon

Your points seem irrelevant to mine.

Let me try again. You asked "If he didn't break Roman law, why was he condemned by a Roman Governor and crucified by Roman soldiers?"

The point is that you don't need to break roman law to be condemned and crucified by roman soldiers, particularly if you aren't a roman citizen.