• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jesus myth theory on CNN Internet news

cablescavenger

Because they are not applying sound historical methods to the evidence. History is based on probability. We can't prove what happened in history, we can just show whether or not it was probable.

At the same time, there are standards that we have to apply to history. If we take the evidence presented for Jesus, and call it weak, then we must use those same standards for other figures. Basically what we have then is Josephus being a weak historian (as well as any other historian like Josephus). We have people like Paul, who we have first hand accounts from, and who relied on actual eye witnesses of Jesus, as also being weak. And then we have oral tradition, and works written shortly after the death as being weak.

If we apply all of that to all the other historical information we have, basically we are left with nothing more than nearly all sources being weak. We might as well as just dismiss all of history, or at least huge portions of it, if we want to apply those same standards. Because really, you are saying that first hand accounts are weak, that historians are weak, that oral tradition is weak, etc.

You say God and Jesus can't be proven? and I am of the same mind, so it would appear the separating factor is the way in which we apply probability.

You mention early writings, but if we look at them they are all post Jesus, not first hand at all and they are unreliable. We know that plaguerism was rife, authorship was dubious, historical detail was inaccurate, geographical detail was inaccurate, religious claims weren't original to christianity and that dating documents was questionable.

Should you get beyond that you then find that they were also open to forgery and adaptation by the authorities at the time, and later on through the centuries by the churches who stored, rewrote and translated the documents.

You set Paul as an example? Paul who openly admits to lying to further peoples belief in the truth of God, and who is not the author of half his books in the bible. Josephus whom is an author whose work is also known to have been corrupted and had later insertions added to add validity to the story of Christ.

The bible is known to have books in it which are forgeries. The main Gospels of the new testament are plagueristic and share many of the same passages leading to the view that there may be a Q Gospel. The bible is also known to have undergone amendments, and the divinity of Jesus was determined at the Council of Nicae, the trinity being a medieval invention, and there are also some of the lost Gospels which have been found, which are enlightening and charming in their own way but which also contradict the Gospels we know today.

So yes I do find the writing unreliable and oral tradition is irrelevant since it was written down or lost.

So what of just plain old probability of God or Jesus? Well one in ten would be a probability of 10%, which is pretty low by anyones standards but there have been many religions and hundreds of Gods, so the chances of Yahweh being the one true God are diminished immediately to less than 1% if we gave them all equal weighting.

There is a distinct lack of physical evidence for Yahweh in the modern era, but a regular appearance by comparison according to atiquity.

Jesus may have a unique name, but is not a unique being. Many Gods (or demi-Gods) have been born to an earth mother and sky father, some of which have been virgin births. We also know Gods were used to explain everything unknown in antiquity from the Sun to the Moon to floods and the flow of rivers.

Do we need a God to explain the world around us now, do these things still apply?

Yahweh was attributed powers over the earth and the visible universe. Many of which been explained as perfectly natural processes, not God like at all. There are other mysteries that we have discovered which were never known about until recent history, some of which were hypothesised through mathematics prior to finding them.

There are still claims of God, but very few, some ignore the science, and some cling on to the unanswered questions in science. No longer claiming power over the seas, but looking for the next bacterial flagellum to hang their hat on.

So I see the probability of God and Jesus as extremely low verging on nil.

It does not bother me that you see it differently and came out religious. You are a different person. Why would you not?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I think on the other side, those who deny Jesus, also do so partially because of emotions. Partially it's because they have had such a problem with Christianity, that their emotions cloud their judgement and they just deny everything.
There are folks on both sides who let emotion cloud their judgment, but there are quite a few nonbelievers who buy the pro-historicity side and defend it vigorously. Outhouse is far from being alone on that score. The fact is that non-Christians really don't have any real stake in whether Jesus existed or not. Their problem is with the divinity angle. For example, I believe that most people in the old Soviet Union accepted the historicity of Christ. Having studied Russian since high school and visited the SU in 1965, I don't recall every hearing mythicist sentiments or reading about them. I don't think the Party took a stand on it. I even remember speculation that Christ had been an alien visitor from an advanced civilization. Most people just took it for granted that Christ was a real historical figure.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You say God and Jesus can't be proven? and I am of the same mind, so it would appear the separating factor is the way in which we apply probability.
I don't remember saying anything about God here. And I also don't recall ever saying that Jesus can't be proven. I don't believe God and Jesus are the same entity. I personally believe in God, but I also realize that God may not exist, and that that is just as probable. None of that has to do with Jesus though. So I have no idea what you are even saying here.
You mention early writings, but if we look at them they are all post Jesus, not first hand at all and they are unreliable. We know that plaguerism was rife, authorship was dubious, historical detail was inaccurate, geographical detail was inaccurate, religious claims weren't original to christianity and that dating documents was questionable.
How are they unreliable? Or a better question, how are they less reliable then similar works on other individuals?

Also, first hand accounts are not necessarily better. In fact, most of the best sources we have are not first hand accounts, but compilations of various other accounts. Or even interviews or questioning those who have first hand accounts. This fascination with first hand accounts really is a little silly. Especially when first hand accounts are often biased, not any more reliable, and only show a small perspective.

Also, the factors regarding plagiarism were different at that time. Especially when we look at writings such as those meant to be read out loud. Not to mention, plagiarism doesn't suggest the work is any less credible. It just means they aren't citing sources. And for the most part, we don't see much full length citing as we do today. Historical context matters here.

As for authorship being dubious. The works I'm talking about, that is not the case. The Gospels simply don't name their authors, Josephus names himself, and Paul names himself (and I'm only dealing with the undisputed letters).

Now for geographical claims. That is true today as well. Even in some of the best sources, you find minor geographical claims that are wrong. Big deal.

And what claims are not original to Christianity, that they claimed were original? Christians are pretty clear that they do borrow from others.

Finally, as for dating being questionable. Not really. We date the Gospels and Paul's letters in the same manner that we date other historical works. So if you want to bring that dating into question, then you have to with all other historical works as well. Basically, you added nothing in that paragraph besides unsubstantiated claims and a rant.
Should you get beyond that you then find that they were also open to forgery and adaptation by the authorities at the time, and later on through the centuries by the churches who stored, rewrote and translated the documents.
All work was open to forgery. The Gospels and the Pauline undisputed letters really don't have the problem here (at least not in the area we are talking about. As for adaptation by the authorities, not really. The Gospels and Pauline undisputed letters stay pretty much the same. Yes, other interpret them differently later on, but we really don't see people changing them or adapting them. So really, that is nothing more than an unsubstantiated claim, which actually does border on a conspiracy theory.
You set Paul as an example? Paul who openly admits to lying to further peoples belief in the truth of God, and who is not the author of half his books in the bible. Josephus whom is an author whose work is also known to have been corrupted and had later insertions added to add validity to the story of Christ.
Can you point to where Paul states such? Also, he is actually the author of all of his books. Yes, other books were written in his name, but that isn't something he could control, and those aren't his books. More so, I'm not even talking about those books, and they hardly matter here.

As for Josephus, nearly all scholars, regardless of religious affiliation, agree that Josephus wrote about Jesus, in two places. Instead of repeating those arguments, you can just go back a page or so and actually read what has already been posted (as in, a number of sources). Really, the only people who believe that the TF is a forgery are Jesus-mythers, and they hardly are scholars, and have thoroughly been debunked.
The bible is known to have books in it which are forgeries. The main Gospels of the new testament are plagueristic and share many of the same passages leading to the view that there may be a Q Gospel. The bible is also known to have undergone amendments, and the divinity of Jesus was determined at the Council of Nicae, the trinity being a medieval invention, and there are also some of the lost Gospels which have been found, which are enlightening and charming in their own way but which also contradict the Gospels we know today.
What does it matter if the Bible has books in it which are forgeries? Are the books we are talking about, the Gospels, and the undisputed letters of Paul, forgeries? No they are not, and thus your statement is meaningless here.

As for being plagiaristic, so? They are using sources in order to make a better source. Luke even states this clearly. The rules regarding plagiarism were quite different in ancient times. You can't apply modern standards to ancient practices.

And no, the divinity of Jesus was not determined at the Council of Nicaea. That is a conspiracy theory based on an ignorance of history. The divinity of Jesus was already accepted. What was debated was to what extent Jesus was divine. Was he fully divine, and not human. Or was he fully divine and fully human. It was voted that the official view would be that he was fully divine and fully human. But that hardly quit the debate. In fact, the Council of Nicaea really did nothing, as the debate continued for quite some time afterwards.

Finally, for the trinity, it was already being developed long before that. Yes, it may not have gotten the doctrinal name of the trinity, but we can trace it much further back. That was part of the whole Jesus being divine issue. And what does this have to do with what we are talking about? You are really taking this off on a tangent, which has nothing to do with what we are talking about. It doesn't address anything I said.
So yes I do find the writing unreliable and oral tradition is irrelevant since it was written down or lost.
Oral tradition is not irrelevant. Yes, it was written down. That is actually very important. The oral tradition predated the writings, and thus is pushes all of the information even further back. Understanding the oral tradition helps us understand how the Gospels were written, and how Paul got his information.

As for being unreliable, basically by what you have said above, most of all history is unreliable then.
So what of just plain old probability of God or Jesus? Well one in ten would be a probability of 10%, which is pretty low by anyones standards but there have been many religions and hundreds of Gods, so the chances of Yahweh being the one true God are diminished immediately to less than 1% if we gave them all equal weighting.
Why do you bring God into this at all? Who is talking about God? The post you quoted of mine wasn't. Really, you are arguing against ideas that weren't mentioned. Which really only shows that you have preconceived ideas, and are very biased. The probability that God or gods exist is not relevant to the probability that Jesus existed. Two very different ideas. So really, you're argument here is nothing but useless.
There is a distinct lack of physical evidence for Yahweh in the modern era, but a regular appearance by comparison according to atiquity.
And this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, or about Jesus.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Jesus may have a unique name, but is not a unique being. Many Gods (or demi-Gods) have been born to an earth mother and sky father, some of which have been virgin births. We also know Gods were used to explain everything unknown in antiquity from the Sun to the Moon to floods and the flow of rivers.
Actually, we really don't see virgin births. As in the way that Jesus was said to have been born. As in a complete virginal birth, meaning no penetration or even contact. That really is somewhat unique.

Now, Jesus isn't a god. He is a man. And just because he is said to be the son of God, doesn't mean he didn't exist, or that your arguments against god have any weight. Augustus was also said to be the son of a god. So if you want to just dismiss Jesus on those grounds, then you have to do the same with Augustus.

Really though, your argument had nothing to do with what I said. You need to actually read what I said, instead of assuming a bunch of nonsense, and then arguing against it for who know what reason.
Do we need a God to explain the world around us now, do these things still apply?
Why would we even try when we are talking about Jesus? You seem to be a little confused here. I'm very confident you didn't read a single word in what I said.
You have been arguing against God, not Jesus. I don't care about your argument against God, as it has no bearing on this discussion. However, it is illogical to argue against God, and then assume it means anything about Jesus. Your argument is illogical, and really just worthless in this situation.
It does not bother me that you see it differently and came out religious. You are a different person. Why would you not?
It does bother me that you would ramble on about something I never said, and then assume you have any idea about my beliefs, when you clearly don't. It also bothers me that you state that I came out religious, because I'm hardly religious. Yes, I believe in God. I also freely admit that God may not exist, and that it is just as probable that he doesn't. And that is as far as my religious beliefs go. And none of those things have a thing to do with Jesus. Really, I'm a very secular person.

It also bothers me that you would try to argue against what I said without addressing anything I said, and apparently not reading a single word that I typed. I hope if you do respond to me again, you actually take some time and read what I said.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
There are folks on both sides who let emotion cloud their judgment, but there are quite a few nonbelievers who buy the pro-historicity side and defend it vigorously. Outhouse is far from being alone on that score. The fact is that non-Christians really don't have any real stake in whether Jesus existed or not. Their problem is with the divinity angle. For example, I believe that most people in the old Soviet Union accepted the historicity of Christ. Having studied Russian since high school and visited the SU in 1965, I don't recall every hearing mythicist sentiments or reading about them. I don't think the Party took a stand on it. I even remember speculation that Christ had been an alien visitor from an advanced civilization. Most people just took it for granted that Christ was a real historical figure.
I agree with you here.

It is a minority of nonbelievers who seem to be on the Jesus-myth idea (albeit a growing minority). I agree that it is a problem with the divinity aspect. For me, I don't see Jesus as divine. I see him as fully human, and most scholars seem to do so as well. But for some, it seems impossible for them to separate mythology and reality. Yet we do it with so many other historical figures.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And precisely what weight do you think one should give to such nonsense? I see not even a glimmer to suggest that you know what you're talking about. What would you guess is the broad consensus on historicity among historians of that period?

vepurusg

History is based on probability. We can't prove what happened in history, we can just show whether or not it was probable.

And in some cases, it's so mucked up by mythology we can barely even guess at what was most probable.

All we can say is that the supernatural accounts were likely untrue- but even today we have faith healers who make people (temporarily) feel better by way of a placebo effect (which should not be underestimated).

It's possible that Yeshua was a construct made from many people or ideas of the time, a single philosopher, a faith healer who drank his own Koolaid and was sincere, or a conman.

There's nothing to give us any overwhelming probability to point to any of those.

Some modern faith healers believe that they are really healing people, but they're mostly charismatic and intelligent people, so most of them ultimately figure it out and amount to nothing other than conmen when they keep up the racket.

Modern extrapolation would favor the conman over the sincere healer (although most conmen also rationalize their actions to themselves, and convince themselves they aren't bad people- which may have been the case here too). Unless there is a reason to believe that modern faith healers would be fundamentally different from those of antiquity, that extrapolation is only probable.

I think it is reasonable to believe that most of the philosophy came from Saul and after, though. Whatever came before- whether a conman, or a non-figure made by amalgamating pure myth and rumor- it's pretty philosophically empty without the overwhelming contributions of Saul and later theologians. If there was such a man and he ever was a philosopher, it's hard to say what he said or believed.

He definitely didn't intend to die on a cross for humanity's sins unless he was a complete lunatic (which seems unlikely), that I can tell you.

A forgotten and superseded philosopher? A con-man? Or a non-entity originally constructed by combining myth and rumor?

I can't say which one is more probable of those- but it's also unreasonable to call any of those interpretations out as themselves unreasonable given the vacuum of evidence.

The only things that can be called completely unreasonable are supernatural interpretations, and absolute certainty.

If we take the evidence presented for Jesus, and call it weak, then we must use those same standards for other figures.

Absolutely, but you extrapolate that incorrectly as: "that first hand accounts are weak, that historians are weak, that oral tradition is weak, etc."

Bad logic.

It is not the first hand accounts that are weak- it is first hand accounts of a certain type, it is not historians that are weak- it is their recordings of a certain type, it is not even oral traditions that are weak- it is oral traditions of a certain type that are.

Copernicus said it quite well:

Most historical figures [...] do not have a massive movement of people behind them that have a religious motive for belief in their existence.

Fallingblood, I would encourage you to look into Laozi.

There are other figures that make good examples too, but he's probably the best.

When we come across a body of philosophical work, we WANT to assign individual authorship. People want to personify, and to relate to a work they're invested in on a personal level.

IF such a character as Yeshua never existed, it would be necessary for the believers in the philosophy to invent him- there is an overwhelming cultural motivation to fabricate unknown details and invent an author (of the philosophy, not just of the books involved).

That is why it is entirely reasonable to consider him never existing as a realistic and competitively probable possibility.

This doesn't require or involve conspiracy; it is a work of accumulative oral story telling. It's neither complicated, not uncommon.

Chiefly, we believe that figures such as emperors and pharaohs existed because there is no other plausible explanation- there would be no good reason to have invented them- and if the rulers of the time did invent such leaders, that would involve a conspiracy (thus making that option less probable).

For religious and philosophical figures, that is not the case- there is a very good reason to invent a powerful genius as a central figure, even if the philosophies were developed by many people over time- and that invention is done, itself, over time- gradually to the point that nobody notices.

The Romans believed Yeshua existed because the Christians believed it, and the Romans neither understood their cultural motivation for fabricating a character to embody their philosophy, nor would they have likely cared if they did.

It's as simple as that.

Yeshua deserves the same amount of incredulity as Laozi, because if he didn't exist, he would probably have been invented anyway.

Did he or didn't he? I don't know. I don't really even care that much.

Personally, I slightly prefer to assume that a character representing the origins of Christianity existed, if only because it makes a very useful symbolic tool. I have no certainty on the matter, and wouldn't place a bet on it, and I'd be happy to have actual evidence as to any of the possibilities.

Historians of antiquity are great sources- but mostly for what people believed, and not necessarily what was true. They're only good sources for what is probably true when there is no other very plausible explanation, and ideally when multiple hostile sources are in agreement.

We might as well as just dismiss all of history, or at least huge portions of it, if we want to apply those same standards.

Nonsense.

But dismiss our certainty as to the literal existence of many religious and philosophical founders? Certainly.

Such characters demand higher burdens of evidence due to the compelling psychological motivations to invent them to represent philosophies.

the fact they burned the gnostic and jewish versions, means we used to have overwhelming documentation.

There was a period where those things were actively destroyed, but I think more document loss comes by vice of not being actively copied and preserved (most documents being written on perishable food stuffs which insects much enjoy). It doesn't usually matter how much you're trying to destroy something like that- if people really want to preserve it, they usually will.

I actually don't see why Christians are so determined that a real Jesus existed [...] It's all suppposed to be faith based in the end, so why even be concerned with that question?

Because a part, however small, of them usually holds some nagging itch of rationality.

Sure, they say it should be based on faith- but they don't all believe that, not really.

The "historical Jesus exists" apologists are faced with a Catch-22.

They could very easily be the stories of a con-man, as recorded by his victims. I think that's also the interpretation that Christians are most able to comprehend.

They do not understand the nuances of gradual genesis of oral tradition and mythology. They say that if a story exists, it must have come from a source, and thus must be true (or even more absurd, that it must be true, or it would be a conspiracy). They hypocritically ignore the application of the same induction to other religions.

If there was a charismatic man who fit at least some of this description, i.e. had multitudes of followers, and was executed in a high profile trial (we'll ignore the miracles for now), then many historians of the day would have taken note.

Nah, fraudulent 'healers' and cult leaders were a dime a dozen, and it was no more difficult then than it is today to con hundreds or thousands of people into following one. That's why there are stories in the NT of Yeshua serving other would be cult leaders (an attempt to set him apart from the rest).

The most historically incredulous interpretation of the NT- assuming the stories are as true as possible- would favor only that of a conman; but given that, would not necessarily have to be completely false on all details (just duped into believing false miracles).

Magicians of the age were not likely much less technically skilled than modern magicians- and modern magicians rarely if ever use any technology newer than the bronze age (it's almost never magnets, or anything like that).

Watch some magic shows- look into modern cult leaders- it's not hard to imagine; the charlatans were pigs in ****. Society was suffering a veritable plague of these criminals, of whom Yeshua may have just been one who got what he had coming, and whose cult following didn't die with him.

Maybe he realized the authorities had him pat, and he was going to die anyway, so might as well have a last laugh as he went.

Just a possibility- not necessarily more likely than it being a myth all together, but certainly more entertaining.

It's a thoughtless and disingenuous question. At issue is whether it is reasonable to presume the mythicist narrative.

At issue is your inability to respond to arguments, and your willful ignorance.

Contrary to your ignorance of what qualifies a conspiracy, it is perfectly reasonable to presume a non-conspiracy mythicist narrative along with the possibility of the man being a con-artist, or a several decades BCE philosopher whose actual thoughts and personality have been lost in the noise.

Assuming one over another with certainty would be a little unreasonable. Assuming a literal, true, and historically incredulous interpretation of the NT and other texts as you seem to is far worse than mere insanity.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Assuming a literal, true, and historically incredulous interpretation of the NT and other texts as you seem to is far worse than mere insanity.

That's a pretty pathetic distortion, but I guess it's possible that you really don't know any better. Sad ...​

cablescavenger

And precisely what weight do you think one should give to such nonsense? I see not even a glimmer to suggest that you know what you're talking about. What would you guess is the broad consensus on historicity among historians of that period?

I don't care what weight you give it.

Sometimes it is easier to go with the flow than it is to stick to your guns. The current concensus is there is no historical evidence for Jesus but that the new testament may well have been based on a living person, yet there is no evidence of this.

Historians fall on the side of he probably lived, but you could easily be forgiven for falling on the side of caution and saying he didn't. I am prepared to fall the other side with a little proof, but as forany talk of God that is pure myth and legend for me I am faraid.

If I let concensus bother me I wouldn't be an atheist, and while I sit in a minority now, one day it will be a majority.

You can't stop progress :)

jtartar

I thought that the CNN article was a pretty good summary of the debate from both sides. A historical Jesus may well have existed, but there does not appear to be a lot of evidence one way or the other. Both sides argue over the credibility of those few morsels and try to build coherent cases for their positions. Personally, I find the side challenging their credibility to be more convincing, but the weight of published scholarly opinion gives the benefit of the doubt to the other side. In the end, it isn't really important whether we are talking about a myth or a legend. The story built up around the character is so entangled with falsehoods and fantasies that it is almost impossible to judge whether it is worth debating the issue.

Copernicus,
Anyone can believe like he wants to. God does not force anyone to believe in, either Him or His Onlybegotten Son. There is one thing that everyone should remember, and that is: Ther God of the Bible, who put His personal, or proper name in His word, The Bible, over 7,000 times. Jehovah God,The Sovereign Lord of the universe, who created all things, in heaven and on earth had a message written to all men. God sent His son to give his life to ransom mankind from the Law of sin and death. Jesus gave his life for all mankind who believe in him and his Father, and He promises to destroy ALL who do not recognize His son, as the only NAME by which ALL mankind MUST be saved, Acts 3:22,23, Acts 4:10-12, 1Tim 2:4-6, Matt 20:28, John 3:16. Many Jews saw the miracles Jesus did, and the power that was given by God, to the apostles of Jesus. Jesus fulfilled several dozen prophecies recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures. This fact was recorded by the Jews who wrote the Greek Scriptures. It has been proven by mathematicians, that it is impossible for even seven prophecies to have been fulfilled by an imposter. There was no question who Jesus was, to the ones who saw his miracles or experienced them, Acts 2:22-24.
What has said to be even more of a miracle, is that an imposter could have had such an impact on mankind, as Jesus did.
Jesus has had more impact on mankind that all the armies that ever marched to war, more than all the parliments that ever sat, more than all the writers that ever wrote. There has been more songs written about Jesus than any other man, more books written, more art works ever painted, more sculptures sculpted.
There will be critics as long as this system is in place, because these people want to believe what they want to believe, in spite of the facts, and they want to do what they want to do, when they want to do it, and do not care how their actions effect others. In other words these people have no LOVE for anyone but themselves. This is far different than what the Bible says the people who love God would act, Matt 7:12, John 13:34,34, Rom 13:8-10. This too God has promised to replace with a righteous new system, in the very near future, Dan 2:44, Isa 65:17-25, 2Pet 3:13, Rev 19:11-21,21:1-5.
With all the things that have been written about Jesus, and all the things prophesied about what Jesus is going to do, don't you think that the smart thing to do would be to make sure whether the things writtn in God's word is true or not, because it really means your everlasting life. The Bible holds out the promise of everlasting life in a paradise earth, or endless death in the Lake of Fire, The Second Death, Rev 20:14,15.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Martin Gardner debunked much of this and pointed out it is easy to find patterns relating any two people or events such as this one between the assassinations of Presidents Kennedy and Lincoln:
Both presidents were elected to the presidency in '60.
Both presidents were elected to the House of Representatives in '46.
Both were runners-up for the party's nomination for vice-president in '56.
Both their respective Vice Presidents/successors were Southern Democrats named Johnson born in '08.
Both presidents were concerned with the problems of black Americans and made their views strongly known in '63. Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation in 1862, which became law in 1863. In 1963, Kennedy presented his reports to Congress on Civil Rights, and the same year was the famous March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
Both presidents were shot in their heads.
Both presidents were shot from behind.
Both presidents were shot in presence of their wives.
Both presidents were shot on a Friday.
Both presidents were accompanied by another couple.
The male companion of the other couple was wounded by the assassin.
Both presidents had a son die during their presidency.
Lincoln was shot at Ford's Theatre. Kennedy was shot in a Lincoln automobile, made by Ford.
Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy who told him not to go to the theatre. Kennedy had a secretary named Evelyn Lincoln who warned him not to go to Dallas.
Both John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald were killed before they could be put on trial.
Both presidents' last names have 7 letters.
Both presidents have five syllables in their full name (which counts Kennedy's middle initial).
There are 6 letters in each Johnson's first name.
Booth ran from a theatre to a warehouse, Oswald ran from a warehouse to a theatre.
John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald both have 15 letters in their names.
Both assassins were born in the late '30s.
Both assassins sympathized with anti-American organizations.
Both assassins were killed within the calendar month before they could be tried.
Both assassins were killed in states located immediately west of the states of their births.