• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jehovah's witnesses and the rest. What's the stumper?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
As far as the book of Revelation it is a revealing about the Bible's happy climax
Since the Bible isn’t one continuous and cohesive “story,” it, by definition, cannot have a “climax.”

Because John wrote the gospel according to John ' after ' he wrote Revelation does Not add up to that old man's acid trip of Revelation
The author of the gospel was not the author of the Revelation.

What do modern scholars have to do with what is already recorded in Scripture
Translation and form, historic, anthropological, literary, redaction criticism, which forms the foundation for an exegetical treatment of the texts, which, in turn, forms the foundation for interpretation. Otherwise, we’re just reading an ancient language with a foreign alphabet, written in all caps, with no punctuation, no sentences, and no paragraphs.

sojourner

it would seem you really don't have a clue who the JW's are . have you listen to church rhetoric for so long that you now believe the lie's you have been told ? its sad really sad
My brother and sister-in-law are JW. Their community has an online “bible study” in which I’ve taken part. I smell a theological and ecclesiological rat emanating from those particular sources.

sojourner

found this too “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth. You must not bow down to them nor be enticed to serve them.”—Exodus 20:4, 5.
then i look at this picture
mary-worship.jpg
“You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.”

Do you know what an “idol” is? It’s an image that is believed to have power in and of itself. A “representation” is not an “idol.” The picture above shows a representation of Mary. The statue doesn’t have deific power in and of itself. It’s rather like a photograph in that regard. These people are showing respect for the person the image represents — not the image itself. Therefore, idolatry is not taking place.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Some people touch and kiss statues and pictures. They act like the object has some power.
Yes I have kissed the foot of the cross during the Good Friday service, which is one of the most moving of the church's year. Do you think I believe that crucifix, with a representation of the suffering body of Christ on it, has some shamanic power? Of course not.

Churches that employ an element of theatre and ritual in their services are quite used to the idea of symbolism. These things bring to life the ideas and the story and help the faithful to feel they are taking part. The symbolic gestures that are made, like kissing the cross, express the feelings and prayers of believers.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some people touch and kiss statues and pictures. They act like the object has some power.
What if one kisses the Bible?

The key word is "veneration", which is not idol worship nor appealing to magic.

If I were to tear up a Bible right in front of you, would that not bother you? But it's just a book, right? How about if I burned an American flag? How about if I took a knee during the National Anthem? How about if I tore up a copy of the Constitution in front of the White House?

lostwanderingsoul

What if one kisses the Bible?

The key word is "veneration", which is not idol worship nor appealing to magic.

If I were to tear up a Bible right in front of you, would that not bother you? But it's just a book, right? How about if I burned an American flag? How about if I took a knee during the National Anthem? How about if I tore up a copy of the Constitution in front of the White House?
You have every right to do any of those things, my friend. I was just observing that perhaps SOME people give the symbol greater power than others.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes. Just as all living things develop. Can you read the Bible and not see the development of theology, faith, practices, community, and concepts of grace, salvation, and mercy?

Mate. I did not ask you this question so your context is completely irrelevant to the question I asked.

Cheers.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Their arguments here mostly belie a woefully inadequate exegetical treatment of the texts, resulting in faulty interpretations, which, in turn, foster really wonky theological constructs.

Your response is not relevant to the question I answered to sojourner.

Small perspective. The world and spirituality are not so easily compartmentalized and dismissed.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't know what kind of argument you are looking for Sojourner but all your comments are not relevant.

Peace.

sojourner

Your response is not relevant to the question I answered to sojourner.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't know what kind of argument you are looking for Sojourner but all your comments are not relevant.

Peace.
Of course they are. I just caught you with your knickers down.

sojourner

Nope. Absolutely irrelevant to my post. Public or private, its still irrelevant.
Whatever. But your head-in-the-sand attitude here is rather counterproductive. Except that it tries to camouflage the fact that you don’t really have a good answer?