• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jade Emperor,the first cause of the universe,Utopia,spiritual warfare

God is love

Tao translated is path or way. It is experienced.
Tao embraces learning, harmony and love. These enable balance in the universe. I can see how love creates harmony and learning how to love is necessary. There has to be as much good as there is bad. There has to be as much love as there is hate so hate doesn't rule or control us.

Betty Eadie, the author of the book "Embraced by the Light", wrote about the laws of nature or natural laws. She said we should learn how to use these laws for our own good. As we practice these laws, we live in harmony with the creation around us, the environment. I would like to add to this, as we love we live in harmony with others. There are physical laws as well as spiritual laws and universal laws. These laws complement eachother. When we live these laws we receive wisdom Not living them, disregarding them, weakens us and sometimes destroys what we have achieved. Drugs and alcohole which are not in harmony with our bodies are an example. On a larger scale, polluting the earth reaps harmful effects of air and water the is polluted. The depletion of the ozone layer has caused global warming and that has been linked to recent hurricanes. when we transgress these laws, we reap havoc. It's a cause and effect relationship.

Lao Tse believed the developement of virtues is a chief task.
There are 3 virtues called JEWELS:

1. Moderation

2. Humility

3. Compassion

I am familiar with these Jewels.
In James 4:10 {of the bible} it reads "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and He shall lift you up." In Alma 32:16 {of AnotherTestement of Jesus cjrist} ir reads "Blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble." In Proverbs 16:18 {of the bible} it reads "Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall" In Moroni 8:27 {of Another Testement of Jesus Christ} it reads "Behold the pride of this nation, the people of the Nephites hath proven their destruction except they should repent." A prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints, Ezra Taft Benson said "Beware of pride, have humility, meekness and esteem others as ourselves." Hebrews 13:3 {of the bible} reads "remember them that are in bonds as bouns with them and them which suffer adversity as being yourselves." 1 Peter 3:8-9 {of the bible} reads "Be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, be pitiful, be courteous."

Like Confucius, who was a friend of Lao Tse, Lao Tse believed people are comapssionate by nature. As Sidhartha {Budha} was searching for a way to end human suffering, Lao Tse was searching for a way to end the constant feudal warfare that was disrupting society. Taoism started with psychology and philosophy but evolved into a religeon.

The Jade Emperor

Lao Tse believed "The Jade Emperor" was the head of the heavenly bureaucracy. He governs spirits who are assigned to oversee the natural world. Betty Eadie who as I said before wrote "Embraced by the Light" about her after death experience said of that experience that knowledge poured into her instantly. She said that there is a supreme being who controls the elements, energy, matter. He has authority over the laws that govern them. He has authority over universal power. Ephesians 4:6 {of the bible} reads "One God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in you all."
Matthew 19:26 {of the bible} reads Jesus beheld them and said unto them, ... with God all things are possible." Hebrews {of the bible} reads " We have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us and we gave them reverence, shall we not much rather be in subject unto the Fther of spirits and live?" Matthew 28:18 {of the bible} reads "Jesus came and spoke unto them saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."
I see the Jade Emperor as Heavenly Father because of what is written of Him that He is the father of our spirits and all power is His. I believe the spirits that are assigned to oversee the natural world are angels. Psalms 104:4 {of the bible } reads "Who maketh His angels spirits, His ministers, a flaming fire."

Lao Tse said the common people worshipped spirits because they believed worshipping spirits would protect them from troubling "demons" or troubles, adversity, and would ensure the blessings of health, wealth and longevity. I believe worshipping and praying, communing with the Father of our spirits protects us and He commands the angels to command the demons to flee and they must obey His authority.

Part Two to follow
Part Two will include, The first cause of the universe.

God is love

Taoists believe a power which surrounds us and flows through all things, living and nonliving. This sounds like "Star Wars", the force, the living force. The Tao regulates natural processes and nourishes balance in the universe. Taoists also believe this power was the First Cause of the Universe. I believe there was a first cause too. I see the craetor as the supreme being. Jeremiah 51:15-16 {of the bible} reads "He hath made the earth by His power. He hath established the world by wisdom and hath stretched out the heaven by His understanding. When He uttereth His voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens and He causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth. He maketh lightnings with rain and bringeth forth the wind out of His treasures." Jphn 1:3 {of the bible} reads "All things were made by Him"

Taoists believe a person must listen of this Tao power to find enlightenment. I believe listening to the Holy Spirit enlightens me.

Taoists wish to become one with th Tao. Jesus spoke of being one with the Father. Jesus was His spirit child as we are and His biological son. He was Heavenly father's messenger and our teacher and our example. He spoke to His Father saying " "That they {refering to us} all may be one as thou, Father, art in me and I in thee, that they also may be one in us, that the world may believe that thou hast sent me, and the glory which thou gavest me, I have given them that they may be one, even as we are one. I in them and thou in me that they may be made perfect in one." This is in John 17:21-23 {of the bible} This is perfect unity. Jesus also spoke of us being one with Him in this scripture {of the bible} "Abide in me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself except it abide in the vine, no more can ye except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abideth in me and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit, for without me, ye can do nothing. If ye abide in me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified that ye bear much fruit so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me so have I loved you, continue in my love. If ye keep my commandments ye shall abide in my love even as I have kept my Father's commandments. These things have I spoken unto you that my joy might remain in you and that your joy might be full."

Part Three will follow
Part Three includes Utopia

God is love

"Peach Blossom Spring" is a chinese story that is similar to "Lost Horizon" about a utopian society. The way to this utopian society is by following a spiritual path, a state of mind, an attitude. Enoch was a man who preached righteousness, holiness. He built a city that was called "City of Holiness". The people were called Zion because they were of one heart and mind and dwelt in righteousness and there was no poor among them. Zion is defined as the "Pure in Heart". Joseph Smith, a prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of latterday saints, a prophet of God, tried to build another Zion, a refuge for the pure in heart. In a book of revelations that God revealed to Joseph Smith, "Doctrines and Covenants" 97:21, it reads "Let Zion rejoice for this is Zion, the pure in heart." In Mosiah 15:29 {Another Testement of Jesus Christ} it reads "For they shall see eye to eye when the Lord shall bring again Zion." 1 Nephi 13:37 {Another Testement of Jesus Christ} it reads "And blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth Zion." Because the people have one heart and desire, there is harmony as would be in a Utopia.

Part Four to follow
Part Four includes Spiritual Warfare

God is love

Taoists believe {demons and ghosts} are outlaws and bullies of heaven. They believe they are arrested by martial forces of spirit officials. Betty Eadie in her book "Embraced by the Light" describes a type of angel called "Warring angels". Their purpose was to do battle against Lucifer {the evil one} and his angels. although each of us have guardian spirits that protect us, there are times when warring angels are necessary to protect us and they are available through prayer. To struggle against them would be an act of futility. They move swiftly with an aura of confidence. Nothing evil could daunt them and they know it. They understand the importance of their mission and would not return to heaven until they accomplish it. When Lucifer {the evil one} marshals his forces against a person or persons, they will need special protection.

"And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels fought against the dragon {lucifer}, and the dragon fought his angels and prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven and the great dragon was cast out, called the devil and satan which deceiveth the whole world. he was cast out into the earth and his angels were cast out with him." Revelation 12:7 {of the bible} Another scripture reads "We ask thee, Holy father that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power and that thy name may be upon them and thy glory be round about them and thine angels have charge over them." Doctrines and Covenents 109:22. In Moroni 7:29 {Another testement of Jesus Christ} reads "Have miracles ceased? Behold, I say unto you, nay, neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men. For behold they are subject unto Him to minister according to the word of His command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness."

Addition to follow

God is love

Yin Yan represents the balance of opposites such as feminine and masculine attributes like yielding and firmness. Betty Eadie also spoke of opposites. She learned within the universe is negative and postive energy. They are opposites to eachother. Negative energy is hatred, deception, etc {the dark side}. Positive energy is truth, goodness, love, etc {the light side} Negative attracts negative and postive attracts positive. Thinking or doing positive attracts postive energy. I guess it is similar to the effect of karma in Buddhism.

Taoists retreat to nature, to the countryside or mountains, to a place of natural beauty. They would in the past, paint pictures of a scene or wrote poetry about what they saw in an attempt to capture the creative forces of nature, it's vitality.

They love nature. I LOVE nature. I love it's beauty. It delights me. and calms me.

Taoists retreat from the world to nature to rest and heal. I feel the same way.

Taoists strongly promote health

1. Herbalism

2. Macrobiotic cooking

3. Holistic Medicine

I'm grateful to the contributions Taoism has made to health and medicine. I spoke about the healing properties of herbs in my post "Health principle shared by 7th Day Adventists and Church of Jesus Christ" that was posted in Comparitive Religeon.

Herbs that I have found most useful are garlic, ginger, eyebright, sage, Shin Min

Thanks for letting me share this with you!

May the good force be with you

Master Vigil

May I ask what the purpose of this post was? I can't pick out all of the things you have taken out of context and misunderstood, but I will point to one big problem. There is a HUGE difference between philosophical taoists and religious taoists. You discussed alot of religious taoism, but fail to realize that much of what you discussed it wrong in the philosophical taoists eye. Such as:

1. The jade emporer was not discussed as much (if at all) by Lao Tzu as this Betty Eadie says. The Jade Emporer was a spiritual concept of the chinese present long before Cong Fu Tze of Lao Tzu came around. Lao Tzu focused more on Tao and Chi more than the Jade Emporer. So the Jade Emporer as Tao can not be as your heavenly father for Tao has no human attributes. Much unlike your god.

2. Taoists do not believe in a first cause. If anything, the chi and Tao have always existed. The universe therefore has always existed in some form or another and was never "created" like the christian concept tries to claim. If anything you can say that chi is a creation of Tao, and Tao is the creation of itself. But no "first cause." Perhaps "only cause?"

3. Taoists do wish to become one with Tao. But first you must understand what is understood as Tao. It is not some god, or heaven. It is only a oneness. An Omnis, a whole of existence. So when a taoist dies, heaven is not the destination. Nor is paradise, or some godhead. Just peace. A total dispersion into the cosmos, where one's chi is totally at peace (not in a good place, or a bad place. But the perfect balance that comes when no longer good or evil exist).

4. About the demons in heaven. First off, no demons exist in the christian and western sense, and neither does heaven. The rest of your story is taken out of chinese philosopical understanding and told in a western sense, and would take a HUGE post to present it as it should be understood. So I will just say please study some Chuang Tzu and Wudang documents to try to understand it better.

5. Yin and Yang are opposites. But one is NOT seen as good, and the other seen as evil. Taoists view the world as dualistic but does NOT recognize any part of it as "better" or "worse" than the other. They also intertwine and intermix. It isn't a clear "black and white" philosophy like in western thought. Which is why the Yin and Yang symbol include black and white in the opposite sides as well. To think one side only attracts it's own is ludicrous.

I hope you study some more. While I agree that all religions are the same. Taking one philosophy out of context and trying to "make it" the same as your own does not work. I wish you much luck on your spiritual journey. And may the spirits be with you.

anders

There are facets of Daoism where I disagree with Master Vigil, like how to interpret 气 qì/chi. But on the whole, I support his views here, especially
Master Vigil said:
5. Yin and Yang are opposites. But one is NOT seen as good, and the other seen as evil. Taoists view the world as dualistic but does NOT recognize any part of it as "better" or "worse" than the other. They also intertwine and intermix. It isn't a clear "black and white" philosophy like in western thought. Which is why the Yin and Yang symbol include black and white in the opposite sides as well. To think one side only attracts it's own is ludicrous.
But they aren't opposites in our normal understanding of the word, but entities that need one another. We need "evil", because without "evil", how would there be any "good"? We need the balance created by both of them working together.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I do not believe in good and evil either, because i have never seen a good or an evil person, situation, monkey bum, whatever.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Please avail yourself of the Tao God is Love. There are many online translations, which would be beneficial for yourself. Most of what you said sounds like it was taken from another website.

My belief in Tao is beyond the symbols you described and discussed. It is formless, which is Tao's essence.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
To back up what has already been said regarding yin yang/the nature of things.

When beauty is abstracted
Then ugliness has been implied;
When good is abstracted
Then evil has been implied.

So alive and dead are abstracted from nature,
Difficult and easy abstracted from progress,
Long and short abstracted from contrast,
High and low abstracted from depth,
Song and speech abstracted from melody,
After and before abstracted from sequence.
--snip--

munchkin

hi,

Tao is many things to many beings.

Taoists, realise and cultivate the oneness with Tao that we all are but few find, it can be found through other religions and philosophys, i have known, Krishnas to have it,m christians to haev it, muslims etc.

Yin Yang, are opposing, comlimentry forces, and as such are not so easily pigeon holed.

Taoism basically is about letting go of self, and realising true self ( inner self) releasing ideas of worthiness, and being one with all beings.

also especially true if we read the works of chuang tzu, Taoism is about a sense of humour :)

2. WHEN all the world recognises beauty as beauty, this in itself is ugliness. When all the world recognises good as good, this in itself is evil. Indeed, the hidden and the manifest give birth to each other. Difficult and easy complement each other. Long and short exhibit each other. High and low set measure to each other. Voice and sound harmonize each other. Back and front follow each other. Therefore, the Sage manages his affairs without ado, And spreads his teaching without talking. He denies nothing to the teeming things. He rears them, but lays no claim to them. He does his work, but sets no store by it. He accomplishes his task, but does not dwell upon it. And yet it is just because he does not dwell on it That nobody can ever take it away from him.

love and peace
becca :)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
munchkin said:
hi,

Tao is many things to many beings.

Taoists, realise and cultivate the oneness with Tao that we all are but few find, it can be found through other religions and philosophys, i have known, Krishnas to have it,m christians to haev it, muslims etc.

Yin Yang, are opposing, comlimentry forces, and as such are not so easily pigeon holed.

Taoism basically is about letting go of self, and realising true self ( inner self) releasing ideas of worthiness, and being one with all beings.

also especially true if we read the works of chuang tzu, Taoism is about a sense of humour :)

love and peace
Yay!!! more taoists :) we shall one day be more than 5 or 6 :D . What sort of Taoist are you? Philosophical? Religious? Is there a strong Bhuddist or other religious influence that compliments your Taoist studies.

munchkin

i hestitate to label... but i suppose philosophical Taoist, ish, kind of.

i have read much in buddhism, and pagan beleifs, but i mainly now feel the Tao, and see messages in everday life, the more at one i feel the more the blindfolds fall from the inner eyes

love and peace

ChrisP

Veteran Member
munchkin said:
i hestitate to label... but i suppose philosophical Taoist, ish, kind of.

i have read much in buddhism, and pagan beleifs, but i mainly now feel the Tao, and see messages in everday life, the more at one i feel the more the blindfolds fall from the inner eyes

love and peace
LOL I must've tried to frubal this post every time I view this thread forgetting I've done it already.