• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The IRS chief must release Trump’s tax returns — and Mnuchin must not stop him

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.was...d78930-5a20-11e9-842d-7d3ed7eb3957_story.html

Lawrence Summers, the author of this op-Ed, is a Harvard Professor and former Treasury Secretary.

So I am sure all the brilliant legal minds here can explain to me why he is wrong.
Paywall.
It would be useful to quote the relevant part of the article
for those of us who don't pay Wa Po for a subscription.

Law is complicated.
You may note that even the best of the best of the best
on the Supreme Court are very often divided. So whether
your expert is right or wrong....I have no idea.

esmith

Veteran Member
Let's try an non-paywall source.
Trump’s tax returns: How Congress might get them

Interesting section
If Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin refuses to hand over the returns and supporting documentation, then Congress can hold him in contempt. Then, House Democrats could escalate to a subpoena. If Mnuchin refuses again, "that’s when it hops into court," said Andy Grewal, a University of Iowa law professor. The court case could then climb the judicial ladder, perhaps ultimately reaching the Supreme Court. "It may not necessarily be resolved in two years" -- the time Trump has left in his current term, Grewal said.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Let's try an non-paywall source.
Trump’s tax returns: How Congress might get them

Interesting section

I suspect it will reach the Supreme Court, which I hope will be dismissed as an invasion of privacy. Even if Trump is forced to release his tax returns, I don't know what the Dems hope to accomplish.

Me, I'd be snickering about the whole thing if I were Trump. Just dangling it as bait to make folks look foolish.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It would be useful to quote the relevant part of the article
The most relevant part is just the title of the article, which is the same as the title of this thread. That plus the identity of the author and his credentials which I mentioned in the Op should be all you really need.

But I will quote some of the article for you.

As best I can determine, the appropriate response of the treasury secretary is very clear: Under a long-standing delegation order, the secretary does not get involved in taxpayer-specific matters and has delegated to the IRS commissioner as follows: “The Commissioner of Internal Revenue shall be responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Internal Revenue laws.”“

for the secretary to seek to decide whether to pass on the president’s tax return to Congress would surely be inappropriate and probably illegal. I would surely not have done it. Rather, I would have indicated to the IRS commissioner that I expected the IRS to comply with the law as always.”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The most relevant part is just the title of the article, which is the same as the title of this thread. That plus the identity of the author and his credentials which I mentioned in the Op should be all you really need.

But I will quote some of the article for you.

As best I can determine, the appropriate response of the treasury secretary is very clear: Under a long-standing delegation order, the secretary does not get involved in taxpayer-specific matters and has delegated to the IRS commissioner as follows: “The Commissioner of Internal Revenue shall be responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Internal Revenue laws.”“

for the secretary to seek to decide whether to pass on the president’s tax return to Congress would surely be inappropriate and probably illegal. I would surely not have done it. Rather, I would have indicated to the IRS commissioner that I expected the IRS to comply with the law as always.”
We will see who prevails.

sealchan

In politics it is often unclear when a position a politician takes is motivated by principle or by power. But politics is always about both.

But for a bully like Trump who loves to play hardball, I think it is fair game to come at him in any legal and appropriate way that might potentially unbalance him. If he wasn't such a liar and a bigot and a swindler, he wouldn't have such enmity against him.

But that, of course, is his assumption about how others will react to him. He knows this and uses it. Those who oppose him best learn that lesson. Adam Schiff, I think, needs to hold his ground and continue his multiple investigations until this anti-American tyrant is out of office. If you get called a name by Trump then you know you are right where you want to be, under his thin skin and distracting him from his narcissistic wallow.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No one can force a person to release their personal tax returns to anybody without just cause. That does not include assumptions and conjecture.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In politics it is often unclear when a position a politician takes is motivated by principle or by power. But politics is always about both.

But for a bully like Trump who loves to play hardball, I think it is fair game to come at him in any legal and appropriate way that might potentially unbalance him. If he wasn't such a liar and a bigot and a swindler, he wouldn't have such enmity against him.

But that, of course, is his assumption about how others will react to him. He knows this and uses it. Those who oppose him best learn that lesson. Adam Schiff, I think, needs to hold his ground and continue his multiple investigations until this anti-American tyrant is out of office .

Anti American? ROFLMAO!!!

sealchan

No one can force a person to release their personal tax returns to anybody without just cause. That does not include assumptions and conjecture.

There is congressional testimony which indicates that Trump continues Trump has business ties to Russia that might be influencing his decision making. His nepotism includes Russian business ties. His failure to acknowledge American expertise over Russian assurances is incredibly suspect. There is more than enough to warrant a congressional committee to have a look at Trumps tax returns.

If Trump were an employee of any company he didn't own he would have long ago been fired for merely the appearance of favoritism. I dont see the President as requiring any special protection under the law from racial discrimination, sexual harassment or financial misconduct or frankly treason.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We can always count on you for an insightful comment.

Que será, será
When no one knows, what else is there?
Your expert has only his opinion.
And it does no good to invest in hope for one outcome or the other.
(That leads to starting too many premature victory threads on RF.)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
When no one knows, what else is there?
Your expert has only his opinion.
And it does no good to invest in hope for one outcome or the other.
(That leads to starting too many premature victory threads on RF.)

IMO, they are right. Just as the president has the right to request to see anyone's tax returns. It's all fair. Neither however has a right to make someone else's tax returns public.

So again, don't see any real benefit to Dems as it would be against the law to use any of this information politically.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
IMO, they are right. Just as the president has the right to request to see anyone's tax returns. It's all fair. Neither however has a right to make someone else's tax returns public.

So again, don't see any real benefit to Dems as it would be against the law to use any of this information politically.
Does the Prez have the right to see anyone's return?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I suspect it will reach the Supreme Court, which I hope will be dismissed as an invasion of privacy. Even if Trump is forced to release his tax returns, I don't know what the Dems hope to accomplish.

Me, I'd be snickering about the whole thing if I were Trump. Just dangling it as bait to make folks look foolish.
The “invasion of privacy” argument is total rubbish. When you send your tax return into the government somebody in the government is going to read it. That is the whole point of sending it. That is not an “invasion of your privacy.

By law certain members of the government have the right to look look at your return. If you are in the U.S filing a U.S. tax return one of the people who has a right to look at it is the Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. That is the law, and had been the law for almost a hundred years.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Is this what you think is true? Or is it merely what you wish was true?

The simple fact that Donald Trump is President is sufficient reason for Congress to be able at see his tax returns. Congress has a responsibility to perform oversight.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The “invasion of privacy” argument is total rubbish. When you send your tax return into the government somebody in the government is going to read it. That is the whole point of sending it. That is not an “invasion of your privacy.

By law certain members of the government have the right to look look at your return. If you are in the U.S filing a U.S. tax return one of the people who has a right to look at it is the Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. That is the law, and had been the law for almost a hundred years.

You're right. I don't like it still, but it is the law.