• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The irony in the Baha'i faith

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Hi folks,

The irony in the Baha'i faith is that they, despite their claim to do otherwise, facilitate religious animosities or at least irritation between religious groups (at least against themselves) by devaluing other people‘s religious backgrounds, which by nature is a very personal thing and might easily lead to feelings of being offended.

Of course, in the first place, like any other people, Baha'is are individuals, but my intent is to describe what I see as an overall characteristic in that faith, regardless of any anecdotal evidence.

Please discuss.

Let him who is without sin throw the first stone. I wonder where I’ve heard that saying.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Tony, maybe we should all leave this forum as it’s abundantly clear we are not wanted here?

I wouldn’t take any of this personally. Every religion has their critics and the Baha’i Faith certainly do whether on RF or in the world in general. Each person is entitled to their perspective and make constructive criticism.

What has surprised me coming onto RF is the extent to which some Hindus become fixated on the Baha’i Faith and feel a need to criticise. However the majority of Hindus on RF reflect the peaceful and tolerant values of their faith.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As a former serious Baha'i let me give my thoughts.

The Baha'i Faith presents an overly simplified view of the history of world religion (progressive revelation). The Baha'i Faith is a progression on the Abrahamic tradition and I have seen no indication (after searching) that the founders were exposed to or understood to any degree eastern (Buddhist/Hindu) religious/wisdom traditions,

There is of course is no intended animosity between the Baha'i Faith and other faiths but rather unity. The Baha'i Faith is intended to replace all other faiths to unite mankind (all with positive intentions). That last fact is difficult for modern liberal thinking people to accept and has been de-emphasized to say the least in the modern presentation of the Baha'i Faith.

Thanks for your post @George-ananda . You raise some interesting points and you having been a Baha’i adds an element of intrigue.

1/ Some Baha’is undoubtedly do have an overly simplistic view of religion. But I had understood we were encouraged to learn about other faiths and acquire a more profound understanding of religion and how it has shaped the course of civilisation.

2/ The Baha’i Faith as you know emerged from the Islamic world and then spread to the Christian West. While it has spread world wide throughout the middle of the twentieth century into Asia and the Indian subcontinent many Western Baha’is have a limited knowledge of religions in this part of the world. For me personally, joining RF presents a valuable opportunity to learn about faiths such as Hinduism. So while Christianity, atheism and Islam are often an relatively easy space for Western Baha’is the move into Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism is more challenging.

3/ I agree the focus of the Baha’i Faith is on unity and there’s no animosity. However it is your fourth point that arguably results in the most misunderstandings.

4/ You say the Baha’i Faith is intended to replace other religions. I don’t believe it is but understand why you might feel it is. The Baha’i Faith like Christianity, Islam and to a lesser extent Buddhism too have all sought to be global Faiths. However they were never intended to replace all other faiths and of course haven’t. They have however acquired significant followings thus changing the religious landscape of the planet and in the process profoundly influencing the course of history. That shift has resulted in a large movement away from other faiths and philosophies but they haven’t been replaced. Unlike Christianity and Islam any shift towards the Baha’i Faith will be through peaceful means and not through force and coercion. If the Baha’i Faith is what it claims to be this will inevitably come about and nothing anyone says here will stop it. If not we will eventually fade into obscurity. Time will tell.

Thanks again for sharing your interesting insights about the Baha’i Faith.

Reactions: Jim

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I wouldn’t take any of this personally. Every religion has their critics and the Baha’i Faith certainly do whether on RF or in the world in general. Each person is entitled to their perspective and make constructive criticism.

What has surprised me coming onto RF is the extent to which some Hindus become fixated on the Baha’i Faith and feel a need to criticise. However the majority of Hindus on RF reflect the peaceful and tolerant values.

If a cause were of no significance, who would take the trouble to work against it!

Abdu’l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 105.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This is the most misunderstanding concept. I quote from Bahai Writings:

"Let no one, however, mistake my purpose. The Revelation, of which Bahá’u’lláh is the source and center, abrogates none of the religions that have preceded it, nor does it attempt, in the slightest degree, to distort their features or to belittle their value.

........... and then it does exactly that.
Bahai Double-Think.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes, I was familiar with those quotes and they don’t contradict anything I posted.

The Baha’i Faith is intended to be a new independent world religion that respects, fulfills and now supersedes the religions created by the earlier divine manifestations.

Hello again.......
Bahai is also intended to be a World government. This can be seen in the criminal and civil laws, court systems, voting system, police force, etc...... more than just a religion, I think.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
(Speak truth, speak what is pleasing to others. Never speak truth which is unpleasant to others. Never speak untruth, though pleasant. This is the path of eternal morality, sanatana dharma).
Wow!
Why didn't somebody teach me that 7 decades ago?

Oh well, better late than never. :p

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
To all those who believe we don’t need the Baha’i Faith and it’s just an ‘irony’.

How many countries have been torn apart by inter religious hatreds? How many killed? Even the same religions have gone to war against each other. How long is this to continue? Baha’u’llah has now created a new world community for people who don’t want to be a party anymore to these horrible wars and hatreds and so we are people from all religious backgrounds and none, all races and nationalities who are fed up with this partisanship between religions and within religions which is purely political not spiritual for spiritually we are all brothers and sisters and we are all one.

Is there any better solution for this age than the oneness of mankind. When I had in my home Hindus, Christians and Muslim’s and people from East and west, black and white races, people from India, Ghana, Mozambique, Burma and Australia and I was asked to read a prayer and give a talk, the only choice was to talk and pray about oneness and unity.

Baha’u’llah says humanity is all one spirit and one soul and that which divides us is imaginary boundaries or vain imaginings that we ourselves create in our own minds and unless they are torn down by each of us we will never know our oneness and the only way is through education. It is up to each person to become a lover of humanity.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Hello again.......
Bahai is also intended to be a World government. This can be seen in the criminal and civil laws, court systems, voting system, police force, etc...... more than just a religion, I think.[/QUOTE

The world decides for itself who it wants to govern it. We have no involvement in politics whatsoever.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Are you able to clarify these repeated questions to the point. I'm sure once there are clear, couple sentence bold answers the debate wouldn't be asking for clarification repeatedly

1. Does Baha'i religion replace older religions?

i.e. every manifestation is (lbw) upgrading past religions that are were only appropriate for that time period.

I.e. from Investigator:

"Thus Bahai Faith is the renewed Christ Faith. It is the renewed Hinduism. It is the renewed Islam."

Can this be clarified?

Replacement doesn't need to be a bad word. It's being direct though.

2. Does Baha'i believe that Hindus, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist, believe in the same abrahamic god?

i.e. Baha'i have many people from other religions consider themselves Baha'i (right?) So they must have some understanding of god in relation to other Faith's.

Are Christians wrong that their god literally Rose from the dead?

(Same line of questioning) Are Hindus wrong? Are Buddhist?

Wrong/incorrect, etc aren't negative words. (You can use a synomnym if comfortable but long as it's to the point though)

5. Are the scriptures of other Faith's wrong?
And. Does Baha'i have the correct interpretation of them?

Not negative just not going around the bush over of

It kinda gets unnerving to read all of this when straight answers can cure all evils

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
making sure that no imposter or charlatan would say that he is Kalki.
Kalki is the 25th incarnation of Vishnu, who comes on a White Horse, from 'a Place of Peace' (Shambhala)... Skanda in the Bhagavad Gita, claims he will come to fight the Adharmic behaviour at the End of Time.

In Revelation the Lamb is among the 24 Elders, and comes on a White Horse, wearing a Crown the same as the Elders (Revelation 19:12), making it the 25th incarnation, from 'a Place of Peace' (New Jerusalem)...

The Messiah has a New Name recorded in Revelation 3:12, Sandalphon (Archangel Pillar), Sananda (New Name of Christ), Zion (New Jerusalem); where they come to fight the Sinful Behaviour before the End of Time.

We have very little time left before human extinction, based on most data concerning our planet; there is not 426,879 years left, unless we all work together to fix it.

Obviously as the Kalki Purana states, people don't listen to religious officials any more; so they ignored Baha'u'llah, etc, about military industrialization, and now we're on the verge of the Great Battle.

We should take into account Baha'u'llah prophesied that the next being sent would be an avenging angel, if we did not listen to his corrections; before we then come to the Age of Peace (Satya Yuga).

The problem with some is they seem to think the message stopped being transmitted:
  • Like some Hindus think the Dharma stopped being transmitted in the past,
  • then some Buddhist think it stopped with Buddha,
  • Christians at Christ,
  • Muhammadans at Muhammad,
  • Baha'i at Baha'u'llah,
  • etc.
The Dharma doesn't stop, it just keeps evolving into more advanced thought forms; with each generation we're meant to evolve with it, not argue about the logical changes.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Are you able to clarify these repeated questions to the point. I'm sure once there are clear, couple sentence bold answers the debate wouldn't be asking for clarification repeatedly

i.e. every manifestation is (lbw) upgrading past religions that are were only appropriate for that time period.

I.e. from Investigator:

"Thus Bahai Faith is the renewed Christ Faith. It is the renewed Hinduism. It is the renewed Islam."

Can this be clarified?

2. Does Baha'i believe that Hindus, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist, believe in the same abrahamic god?

i.e. Baha'i have many people from other religions consider themselves Baha'i (right?) So they must have some understanding of god in relation to other Faith's.

Wrong/incorrect, etc aren't negative words. (You can use a synomnym if comfortable but long as it's to the point though)

It kinda gets unnerving to read all of this when straight answers can cure all evils

I know you want a clear cut answer but the very best and most accurate answer to each and every one of your questions is what Baha’u’llah has stated. If not Him then Abdul-Baha, Shoghi Effendi or the Universal House of Justice simply because they are all we believe, Divinely Guided and Infallible and convey the true Baha’i spirit better than any Baha’i can convey.

Also it would likely require quoting pages and pages to explain the Baha’i view as it is complex not just a simple answer always. That’s where independent investigation of truth is what I recommend to you. Reading what Baha’u’llah says directly on these topics will convey not only the answer but the spirit of the answer. It is the spirit in which these questions are answered that impart the beautiful joy in our beliefs in all religions. If we make it too technical we lose sight of the spiritual nature of the Baha’i Faith.

People who know the spirit of the Baha’i Faith love us and do not fear us. It’s those who don’t know us in spirit who instead of looking for themselves listen to hearsay that creates confusion and misunderstanding which those who are against the Faith seek to achieve.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
So are all religions of the past distorted? If so, and the new religion, in this case the Baha'i Faith, had the "original" truth, why wouldn't they abrogate and get rid of those false beliefs? And isn't that exactly what Baha'is do? They tell all the previous religions how they are wrong. How they no longer have the "original" truth.

But, we have the Scriptures of all the major religions, so do Baha'is believe that those false teachings made their way right into the Scriptures of each previous religion? And since Baha'is don't believe some Scriptures of some of the major religions are "wholly" authentic, then you don't believe these Scriptures are trustworthy. So what is it that you do believe about all the other religions? It is obvious, you believe only what the Baha'i Faith says about the other religions. Which, of course, totally contradicts what people in that religion believe. But you don't "abrogate" or "distort" them? Yes, I can see that. From a Baha'i point of view, they've distorted their own religion. aha'is are just bringing back the "original" teachings.
This looks to me like a very good description of what Baha’is do sometimes, that people don’t like.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
How many threads are going on right now where Baha'is are arguing how right they are, and how wrong the other person is. Too many Baha'is think they have to fight with all who don't agree with them. And what have they accomplished? Nothing but pushing people away.
Again, I see this as a good description of what happens on the Internet sometimes, and it has always grieved me. Not only with other people, but even more, with each other. I do it myself sometimes. I think I’ve been doing a lot better in the last year or two, but I did have some skirmishes with a few Baha’is.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
And what have you learned?

I'd think that a Baha'i should show respect for people of other religions... And know that those people are going to have different beliefs. But, instead of finding the commonalities, many Baha'is seem happy to push people from other religions away. That is not what they are supposed to be doing, so it can't be good for them.
It could be a learning experience, with a very steep learning curve. :smiley:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
And again, why are Baha'is pushing people in other religions away.
Maybe there’s some divine wisdom in it that none us can see. :smiley: I see that some can see the humor in it. Maybe there’s some divine wisdom in that.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
And what have you learned?

I'd think that a Baha'i should show respect for people of other religions... And know that those people are going to have different beliefs. But, instead of finding the commonalities, many Baha'is seem happy to push people from other religions away. That is not what they are supposed to be doing, so it can't be good for them.

CG. This is why a lot of us prefer to use quotes because we can’t possibly compete with the Pen of Baha’u’llah. Often in my words I find that I might convey the truth but not the exact spirit which Baha’u’llah imparted so for now I might try more to find a quote because my answers are just not as accurate as the Word itself.

I know people don’t like long quotes but to abandon them completely was a bad mistake which now has us being criticised for the way we post. We mean exactly what Baha’u’llah or Abdul-Baha says but in our own words it sounds watered down a lot and doesn’t truly reflect what the Faith really stands for.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m going to provide you with my personal perspective of the Baha’i Faith that I hope and pray is based on the Baha’i writings. There are others here who can correct me if I err.

Before answering the questions if we’re going to be frank I don’t believe any answer from any Baha’i will satisfy some of the participants on this thread. There are at least four critics of the Baha’i Faith on this thread who have been talking to the Baha’is for nearly three years on this forum, in two instances longer. I can’t imagine that anything that’s said by the Baha’is will make too much difference for these individuals to be completely frank. I’m always open to discussion and really like each one a great deal but OTOH I have little interest when we seem to talk past each other, go round in circles or keep rehashing the same stuff ad nauseam.

Ok here goes....

I.e. from Investigator:

Can this be clarified?

The Baha’i Faith will not replace any religion. How could we? However the Baha’i Faith does present a renewed version of both Christianity and Islam. It does to a lesser extent do the same with both Buddhism and Hinduism.

Christians and Muslims believe in the God of Abraham. Most Buddhists and Hindus simply don’t think in terms of the God of Abraham. They may share many of the values and morals as their Abrahamic cousins but the whole narrative is quite different.

Baha’is don’t believe Jesus literally rose from the dead. How Christians see Jesus is their business but clearly we disagree He rose from the dead. You’ll find similar examples in other religions. Reincarnation in Hinduism is a example of a core difference with the Baha’i Faith.

The Quran is seen as the authenticated repository of the Word of God. The New Testament and Hebrew Scriptures are seen as more or less authentic. We can not say for certain to what extent the Buddhist and Hindu scriptures are authentic and that will be a matter for scholars to unravel.

The Baha’i Faith has a great deal to say about both Christian and Islamic Scriptures that we would see as being based on God’s Revelation through Bahá’u’lláh. Some of that will contradict what Muslims and Christians believe about their scriptures. Obviously the Baha’i Writings takes precedence for Baha’is.

The Baha’i Writings have little to say in regards Buddhism and Hinduism but we acknowledge there are nonetheless Baha’i beliefs that contradict some views that are cherished by many Hindus and Buddhists.

That is my take on the Baha’i Faith based on my understanding of the Baha’i writings accumulated over 30 years.

I hope I’ve answered your questions clearly, succinctly and honestly.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I would not take anything as true unless I get some evidence.
The Baha’i Writings are true for me and I accept they are not true for you. You are content with what you believe as I am with being a Baha’i. I don’t think I’ve ever tried to convince you and have no wish to.

There’s this book written a few decades back about the games people play. Its when two people are caught in a repetitive dialogue that does a disservice to either one or both parties.

Games People Play (book) - Wikipedia

Have you heard of it?