• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'Informed Consent' propaganda

tigrers2019

We are well aware of what it means to be informed by our consent. Before we undergo an operation we are accepting of hearing all that could possibly go wrong during the procedure. This is probably the thing that first comes to mind when we hear the term 'Informed Consent'.

If we were getting an operation to remove a tumor, it would not fall under IC to be advised concerning it's life mechanisms. We would know already that it was alive and growing.

What are the real motivations of the pro-Republican Supreme Court judges and pro-Republican State judges? They are definitely not against abortion as they are for pro-birth. They have demonstrated this many times by their eagerness to slash programs for these unfortunate.

It cannot be about winning the votes of the Religious Right because they are blocking any money earmarked for Election Protection, guaranteeing the Russians will aid them the votes.

The only 2 other reasons I can think of is that this is one of the first layers of government dominance over the individual. They could have tried the Gun Control layer first, but without the religious aura behind it, it will have failed.

The second reason might be to avoid migrant bourgeois, as workers born and raised in this country are going to be more easily controlled

It is going to be interesting where they are going to pry next.

Skwim

Veteran Member
We are well aware of what it means to be informed by our consent.
NO. Informed consent means that the consent we give was with our full knowledge of all the ramifications and consequences attendant to the procedure we're consenting to.

Informed by our consent would mean that one consents to be informed/educated.

Last edited:

dianaiad

We are well aware of what it means to be informed by our consent. Before we undergo an operation we are accepting of hearing all that could possibly go wrong during the procedure. This is probably the thing that first comes to mind when we hear the term 'Informed Consent'.

If we were getting an operation to remove a tumor, it would not fall under IC to be advised concerning it's life mechanisms. We would know already that it was alive and growing.

What are the real motivations of the pro-Republican Supreme Court judges and pro-Republican State judges? They are definitely not against abortion as they are for pro-birth. They have demonstrated this many times by their eagerness to slash programs for these unfortunate.

It cannot be about winning the votes of the Religious Right because they are blocking any money earmarked for Election Protection, guaranteeing the Russians will aid them the votes.

The only 2 other reasons I can think of is that this is one of the first layers of government dominance over the individual. They could have tried the Gun Control layer first, but without the religious aura behind it, it will have failed.

The second reason might be to avoid migrant bourgeois, as workers born and raised in this country are going to be more easily controlled

It is going to be interesting where they are going to pry next.

What, you have a problem with a woman about to have an abortion being fully aware of what she is about to do?

Not just ending an inconvenient problem in her life, but ending a human life for her convenience?

epronovost

Not just ending an inconvenient problem in her life, but ending a human life for her convenience?

The way you put it is based on a very personnal interpretation that is by no way consensus. Equating human life to the existence of a zygote or even a underdevelopped fetus is specious in my opinion.

Plus, abortion cliniques do explain the process of abortion used in any specific case and also have to explain the risks incured. Ironically, that's not something that's always taught to people before they fall pregnant.

dianaiad

The way you put it is based on a very personnal interpretation that is by no way consensus. Equating human life to the existence of a zygote or even a underdevelopped fetus is specious in my opinion.

Your opinion is self serving.

NOBODY in the medical field...or in the legal field, either, claims that a fetus (or an embryo) is not alive...that is, is dead. Nobody denies that a human embryo is human, either. I mean, really; what else is it...a dead platypus? The legal community and culture can assign all sorts of arbitrary labels here, "person" being the one most argued over, but the terms 'human' and 'alive' are not argued about by anybody but complete idiots. I mean, really; if it were dead, there wouldn't be a problem; dead things do not grow. Dead embryos are expelled (most of the time) quite naturally by the woman's body. The thing here is this: the reason women consider abortion is to end the life of the human embryo/fetus/whatever is in there. Don't get cute about this. That's what it's for. Sometimes doing so is medically necessary. Most of the time, nowadays, it's not.

Plus, abortion cliniques do explain the process of abortion used in any specific case and also have to explain the risks incured. Ironically, that's not something that's always taught to people before they fall pregnant.
I have news for you. I have five kids. With EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, the first thing out of the mouth of the nurse making my first prenatal appointment was "we can schedule the termination on Friday" (or whatever date was within five days or so) I spent more time, in the beginning stages of dealing with the medical profession as a newly pregnant woman, being pushed and harrassed INTO getting an abortion than in proper prenatal care. The only "Informed consent" I was given at the time was some form of 'well, I'm sorry you have such bad morning sickness; an abortion will clear that right up for you." I can tell you that if 'informed consent' is more prevalent now than it was then, it's because the pro-LIFE folks have made it so. Certainly the 'pro-choice' folks have never wanted anybody to mention that there is a live human in there that is about to have its life ended. Heavens; don't remind the woman of that! Mind you, I absolutely agree with you about there being need of better education before people get pregnant.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Your opinion is self serving.

NOBODY in the medical field...or in the legal field, either, claims that a fetus (or an embryo) is not alive...that is, is dead. Nobody denies that a human embryo is human, either. I mean, really; what else is it...a dead platypus? The legal community and culture can assign all sorts of arbitrary labels here, "person" being the one most argued over, but the terms 'human' and 'alive' are not argued about by anybody but complete idiots. I mean, really; if it were dead, there wouldn't be a problem; dead things do not grow. Dead embryos are expelled (most of the time) quite naturally by the woman's body. The thing here is this: the reason women consider abortion is to end the life of the human embryo/fetus/whatever is in there. Don't get cute about this. That's what it's for. Sometimes doing so is medically necessary. Most of the time, nowadays, it's not.

I have news for you. I have five kids. With EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, the first thing out of the mouth of the nurse making my first prenatal appointment was "we can schedule the termination on Friday" (or whatever date was within five days or so) I spent more time, in the beginning stages of dealing with the medical profession as a newly pregnant woman, being pushed and harrassed INTO getting an abortion than in proper prenatal care. The only "Informed consent" I was given at the time was some form of 'well, I'm sorry you have such bad morning sickness; an abortion will clear that right up for you." I can tell you that if 'informed consent' is more prevalent now than it was then, it's because the pro-LIFE folks have made it so. Certainly the 'pro-choice' folks have never wanted anybody to mention that there is a live human in there that is about to have its life ended. Heavens; don't remind the woman of that! Mind you, I absolutely agree with you about there being need of better education before people get pregnant.
Geez your medical professionals sound pretty weird, to be honest.
I understand the blase nature from workers in such clinics. That’s just nature. But unless one is very young or has a very large family, I’ve never heard of anyone getting pressured into abortion from staff.
Well maybe during the “graveyard shift.” But maybe that’s because staff haven’t had their coffee yet I dunno.

dianaiad

Geez your medical professionals sound pretty weird, to be honest.
I understand the blase nature from workers in such clinics. That’s just nature. But unless one is very young or has a very large family, I’ve never heard of anyone getting pressured into abortion from staff.
Well maybe during the “graveyard shift.” But maybe that’s because staff haven’t had their coffee yet I dunno.

My "medical professionals' are like medical professionals everywhere. I DARE you to find one who thinks that a human embryo is not alive (i.e,. 'dead,' since that's the only alternative). No will you find anybody anywhere who will state that the embryo growing in a human woman's body is not 'human.'

Again, if the embryo/fetus were NOT alive...or human...there would be no need for an outside induced abortion. That's the whole point.

As for whether women have been harassed or pressured into getting one...what; you think I'm lying about this? Well, you have no way of knowing whether I am or not, and my assurances that I'm not mean nothing. So here:

Psychological sequelae of induced abortion. - PubMed - NCBI

From Psychiatry, 1989...: where it was found that abortion had no negative psychological side effects UNLESS the abortion was the result of pressure from others.

In other words, if it is truly her choice and she's come to the decision without pressure, she's fine, but that there were certainly enough women who WERE pressured into it to affect the study.

Here is a VERY balanced view of this from the UK. The people reporting this are family planning and abortion providers, and are just as unhappy about women being coerced into pregnancy as into abortions. One in seven UK women ‘forced to have either a baby or an abortion’

this coercion is very real. Back when I was in the process of producing my children, Roe Wade had just been passed, and everybody was up in arms about it. The medical profession was scared silly that they would be sued or something if they did NOT fall into the politically correct behavior. So there I was...24, married and very ready to have kids; shoot, my husband and I had already NAMED four of them before we said our "I do's."

But the coercion was there. It was there for everybody. Perhaps more for me in southern California than for the 'fly over states,' but still...and even though I was very much against abortion religiously, ready and able to care for my children, planned for them and wanted each and every one of 'em, I didn't know what 'morning sickness' was like, not really. I spent more than one night in the hospital getting rehydrated and it lasted for nine months every time. The pressure on me to abort was constant, and when I was particularly ill, even I got tempted. Not enough, obviously, to DO it...in fact, it just got my 'stubborn' up, but still.....what of women who had NOT already named their children?

NO. there was pressure then, and pressure now, and if there is LESS pressure from the medical clinics than there was, it is because pro-life folks insisted on 'informed consent.' If pressure is felt more now from relatives, spouses/lovers and friends than from Family Planning (and there's plenty of it from them...) that's only going in the right direction. Women don't need pressure from EVERY side.

epronovost

You are committing a fallacy of excluded middle. Things aren't dead or alive; inert or living. There is a lot of middle ground. Virus for example are considered semi-alive and there is some debate as to properly assess their status. The same goes for embryos and very underdevelopped fetuses. The easiest way to class these would be to say they are "developping lives" in the sense that they start with some characteristics of life, but with a little bit of help, the right conditions and time will develop them all fairly quickly. The precise number of characteristics for life also varies from 7 to 10. There is a substantial amount of difference between embryonic/developpin life and living organism like humans.

If you take your example of dead human vs alive human there are further problems. A human is medically considered dead after all meaningful brain activity have stopped. That's what doctors are looking for to declare you dead. Thus, logic and consistency would tell that a human becomes alive when meaningful brain activity starts. Fetuses don't develop any meaningful brain activity before the 26-28th week of gestation.

The most important thing I want to point out is that you are using a rethorical sleight of hand to pass judgement on people. Nobody cares about "humanity" as in that group of animal living on Earth. Nobody cares either about the concept of "life" as in that complex biochemical interraction. Fetuses and zygotes can be said to be both with a some certainty. Though when you say "human life" most people, including myself, think about personhood and life as this sentient experience I'm passing through right now. People aren't against ending "life" we end some with every breath we take and we eat it all the time, sometime by pure love of food. People aren't against killing "humans" either, they are opposed to killing persons. If Worf the Klingon was to arrive on Earth tomorrow and someone was to shoot him as if he or she was on a duck hunt, we would condamned that person as a vicious murderer despite the fact that Worf isn't a human, but he certainly is a person. Basically, you seem to be using the terms "human life" to evoque "living person" as we often do in everyday speak and then use a sterile, more exact and scientific definition when someone points out to you this might be a dishonest way to talk about zygotes and young fetuses. I find that deceiving.

I can tell you that if 'informed consent' is more prevalent now than it was then, it's because the pro-LIFE folks have made it so.

I would disagree with that too. Pro-life groups have been caught very often lying about abortion procedures, abortion laws, misrepresenting the risks of abortion, propagating lies about fetal development and presenting unscientific material as if it was indeed scientific. Some organisation even mascaraded themselves as abortion clinics to entice pregnant women seeking an abortion to go to them to try to convince them otherwise (often using the lies mentionned above) or simply make a women waste enough time that she can't have a legal abortion anymore.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
My "medical professionals' are like medical professionals everywhere. I DARE you to find one who thinks that a human embryo is not alive (i.e,. 'dead,' since that's the only alternative). No will you find anybody anywhere who will state that the embryo growing in a human woman's body is not 'human.'
An embryo is certainly classified as a stage in reproduction. Or “life” if you prefer. As to the definition of “human” that’s a little more......complicated.
What stage of the pregnancy is classified as human life is something which continues to be hotly debated in medical circles. Some argue it is only a human life after viability, ie when brain and organs appear. With the argument being that death only truly occurs (in the medical and legal sense) after brain and organ failure. Which I mean I see their point? Human vegetables exist and can only be counted as dead when brain function ceases. (Usually through “pulling the plug.”)
Embryonic life and human life. - PubMed - NCBI
I’m not saying that’s my personal stance. Just that it is far more complex than simple static definitions in the dictionary or even medical journals.

Again, if the embryo/fetus were NOT alive...or human...there would be no need for an outside induced abortion. That's the whole point.
Again I think it’s far more complex. Is it “alive?” Define alive first. Is it human? Depends on where you fall intellectually speaking, I guess?
Besides some women are just not ready to have kids, it could be due to trauma, they could be homeless or mentally ill. Circumstances are different for everyone. It could be a result of incest, rape, they could be underage for all I know. Life is messy, life doesn’t have clear cut answers. So I don’t really begrudge anyone their personal choice. Emphasis on the choice part. A woman should make their own decisions in life, free from coercion.

As for whether women have been harassed or pressured into getting one...what; you think I'm lying about this? Well, you have no way of knowing whether I am or not, and my assurances that I'm not mean nothing. So here:

Psychological sequelae of induced abortion. - PubMed - NCBI

From Psychiatry, 1989...: where it was found that abortion had no negative psychological side effects UNLESS the abortion was the result of pressure from others.

In other words, if it is truly her choice and she's come to the decision without pressure, she's fine, but that there were certainly enough women who WERE pressured into it to affect the study.

Here is a VERY balanced view of this from the UK. The people reporting this are family planning and abortion providers, and are just as unhappy about women being coerced into pregnancy as into abortions. One in seven UK women ‘forced to have either a baby or an abortion’

this coercion is very real. Back when I was in the process of producing my children, Roe Wade had just been passed, and everybody was up in arms about it. The medical profession was scared silly that they would be sued or something if they did NOT fall into the politically correct behavior. So there I was...24, married and very ready to have kids; shoot, my husband and I had already NAMED four of them before we said our "I do's."

But the coercion was there. It was there for everybody. Perhaps more for me in southern California than for the 'fly over states,' but still...and even though I was very much against abortion religiously, ready and able to care for my children, planned for them and wanted each and every one of 'em, I didn't know what 'morning sickness' was like, not really. I spent more than one night in the hospital getting rehydrated and it lasted for nine months every time. The pressure on me to abort was constant, and when I was particularly ill, even I got tempted. Not enough, obviously, to DO it...in fact, it just got my 'stubborn' up, but still.....what of women who had NOT already named their children?

NO. there was pressure then, and pressure now, and if there is LESS pressure from the medical clinics than there was, it is because pro-life folks insisted on 'informed consent.' If pressure is felt more now from relatives, spouses/lovers and friends than from Family Planning (and there's plenty of it from them...) that's only going in the right direction. Women don't need pressure from EVERY side.
I didn’t mean to imply that you were lying about your experience. I apologise if I did. It’s just I haven’t really heard of it happening to people where I live.
I agree that women don’t need pressure from every side or any side for that matter. It is between that women and her doctor. Preferably someone neutral.

Forgive my skepticism, but I’ve encountered pro life information once or twice. In my particular experience it was neither factual or scientific. Quite emotionally charged. I mean I understand, it’s a very emotional issue, but if I repeated the stuff they told me to even my high school biology teacher she would have been appalled. I do recall a funny incident of my old School Chaplain debunking the rhetoric she encountered by chance during a health class once. I don’t exactly remember what the rhetoric was but I do remember something about “not bearing false witness” being said by her.

dianaiad

You are committing a fallacy of excluded middle. Things aren't dead or alive; inert or living.

Sorry...in this case it is not a false dichotomy, but a true one. There are such things, you know. You don't have to get down to the quantum level. either the fetus is alive...that is, it's not dead. Indeed, almost every dictionary out there defines 'alive' in that manner...basically, 'not dead.'

There IS no middle ground in this matter.

The scientific definition of 'life' messes with your example of the doctors declaring someone dead when there is no more brain function or possibility of regaining brain function. They are acknowledging a fact here: the body before them is dead; turning the machines off doesn't kill it...doing so simply allows decay to proceed at it's interrupted rate.

life
/līf/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. 1.
    the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
In the case of a human fetus, the requirements for life are absolutely met. If they were not, there would be no need to contemplate abortion, since a dead fetus will never grow to become an infant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult human. It is only when those things are true is there any reason for stopping that development, ending that life, killing it.

Any argument to the contrary is sophistry exemplified. That's a human life in there. There may be good reasons for ending it, but there are NO good reasons for pretending that doing so isn't, er...doing so.

The most important thing I want to point out is that you are using a rethorical sleight of hand to pass judgement on people.

What...*I* am passing judgment on people because I believe that women contemplating having an abortion do so with a complete understanding of what they are doing?

How do you figure that?

Seems to me that those who don't consider this important are the ones passing judgment; they are saying that women are too stupid to know what they want, make their own decisions and live with them. That's rather demeaning of you, when you think about it.

There ARE times when abortion is necessary; the right, the only thing to do. The rules for it are (or should be) the same as for killing any 'born' human. To save one's own life is the one that comes first to mind.

When it is a case of losing the baby...or losing both mother and baby...the decision is pretty clear. Either way the fetus dies. When that happens, though, the situation should be seen as what it is: a tragedy to be mourned, not a bit of unimportant medical effluvium to be tossed away and forgotten.

there are other reasons an abortion might be the 'right' or proper thing to do, but it should be seen the same way.

Oh....the law does see the fetus as 'alive,' not a dead bit of matter. If it didn't, we wouldn't be treating the murderer of a pregnant woman as guilty of two homicides; her pregnancy wouldn't be considered AT ALL...

But it always is considered, isn't it? that is, the pregnancy of the victim is almost always an 'aggravating' factor...making the deed worse.

Last edited:

dianaiad

An embryo is certainly classified as a stage in reproduction. Or “life” if you prefer. As to the definition of “human” that’s a little more......complicated.
What stage of the pregnancy is classified as human life is something which continues to be hotly debated in medical circles. Some argue it is only a human life after viability, ie when brain and organs appear. With the argument being that death only truly occurs (in the medical and legal sense) after brain and organ failure. Which I mean I see their point? Human vegetables exist and can only be counted as dead when brain function ceases. (Usually through “pulling the plug.”)
Embryonic life and human life. - PubMed - NCBI
I’m not saying that’s my personal stance. Just that it is far more complex than simple static definitions in the dictionary or even medical journals.

We are talking about two different things. I am talking about medical fact....that human embryo is human. It's not a duck, a horse or a kangaroo. It's human. YOU are talking about assigned values, which shift according to culture. "Human being," as I mentioned, is what you seem to be discussing here. There was a time in the USA when a black slave was only considered to be 2/3 of a human being. Other cultures didn't assign "personhood' (or 'human being) to people until they were two, or twelve, or 21...that's a cultural assignment, not a bald medical fact.

Again I think it’s far more complex. Is it “alive?” Define alive first. Is it human? Depends on where you fall intellectually speaking, I guess?
Besides some women are just not ready to have kids, it could be due to trauma, they could be homeless or mentally ill. Circumstances are different for everyone. It could be a result of incest, rape, they could be underage for all I know. Life is messy, life doesn’t have clear cut answers. So I don’t really begrudge anyone their personal choice. Emphasis on the choice part. A woman should make their own decisions in life, free from coercion.

I believe that was my point. Being pressured one way or the other is coercion. There ARE times when abortion is the appropriate thing to do....and my point in this thread is that full and complete understanding of what precisely she is about to do is fundamental to the 'free choice' thing.

I didn’t mean to imply that you were lying about your experience. I apologise if I did. It’s just I haven’t really heard of it happening to people where I live.
I agree that women don’t need pressure from every side or any side for that matter. It is between that women and her doctor. Preferably someone neutral.

Forgive my skepticism, but I’ve encountered pro life information once or twice. In my particular experience it was neither factual or scientific. Quite emotionally charged. I mean I understand, it’s a very emotional issue, but if I repeated the stuff they told me to even my high school biology teacher she would have been appalled. I do recall a funny incident of my old School Chaplain debunking the rhetoric she encountered by chance during a health class once. I don’t exactly remember what the rhetoric was but I do remember something about “not bearing false witness” being said by her.

I didn't give any 'pro-life' information. In fact, I went to some trouble only to post neutral to 'pro-choice' stuff.

epronovost

We are talking about two different things. I am talking about medical fact....that human embryo is human. It's not a duck, a horse or a kangaroo. It's human. YOU are talking about assigned values, which shift according to culture. "Human being," as I mentioned, is what you seem to be discussing here. There was a time in the USA when a black slave was only considered to be 2/3 of a human being. Other cultures didn't assign "personhood' (or 'human being) to people until they were two, or twelve, or 21...that's a cultural assignment, not a bald medical fact.

That's the problem I saw with you post and why I called your very first post as "far from being universally accepted". I don't deny that a human zygote or a human fetus is human, but it's incorrect in my opinion to say that those two human things are human beings or persons if you prefer. It's also disingenious to say that zygotes, fetus and babies are the same things even if they are of the same species. When we use "human life" we mean the life of a human being not the biological process in and on itself or the classification of a certain mammal.

and my point in this thread is that full and complete understanding of what precisely she is about to do is fundamental to the 'free choice' thing.

The problem is that what you seem to want is to create an envirionment where a woman would have to be informed by her doctor that an abortion will "kill a human life" which, while not technically incorrect, is severely disinengious. It's technically correct because yes a zygote or fetus of human origin is as the name implied of human origin and represent the first steps in the development of a human being and it's made of living organic tissue. Yet, the vocabulary used framed it under a philosophical and ethical statement for which a medical doctor or nurse cannot provide any expertise. Plus, it's rather stupid to mention it. Everybody knows that by definition an abortion will prevent a bay from being born and thus that the fetus or zygote will die in the process. Are you claiming that women who request abortion don't know that or are you requiring them to hear your "sales pitch" before htey proceed? In that case, should they hear my "sales pitch" for fareness?

dianaiad

That's the problem I saw with you post and why I called your very first post as "far from being universally accepted".

that's your problem. I very deliberately did NOT use terms like 'human being' or 'person.' I specifically wrote 'human.' These terms are not synonymous, and believe me, I am very aware of that. The rights that humans enjoy change according to the stage of development and 'life path," I suppose, differ, and those rights are assigned to them by other humans who have the power to do so. However, those rights ARE arbitrary, and can change. None of them are rooted in scientific concrete....but the medical term 'human' pretty much is. That embryo/fetus/conceptus is HUMAN. It is not the result of the mating of any other species, and will not turn into any other species.

Whether or not it has any 'rights' is up for discussion. I have one opinion of this, many, many other people have entirely different opinions; but the point is, that can change All that is required for a fetus to be declared a 'human being,' or a 'person' is for culture/law to declare it so.

All that is required to deny rights to others is for culture/law to declare that...and enforce it. For crying out loud, perhaps you are too young to remember when the Republicans were fighting like crazy to get desegregation enforced in the south against some VERY nasty minded and bigoted Democratic governors, but I'm not. It's the same thing here; 'human being' is what culture says it is. "Human" is a classification of species.

My point is that women who are thinking of having an abortion should ABSOLUTELY be told precisely that; It is a human (species) life (as in, 'not dead,') they are contemplating ending. To deny them that is to deny them the necessary information they require to make that decision.

There ARE times when the decision to abort is the best of very bad choices. The woman having to make that choice needs to have full information to make a fully informed decision.

Are you advocating dissimulation...lying...to her and pretending that all she's doing is getting rid of a mouse in her cupboard?

I don't deny that a human zygote or a human fetus is human, but it's incorrect in my opinion to say that those two human things are human beings or persons if you prefer

Since I didn't make that claim, I don't see a problem.

. It's also disingenious to say that zygotes, fetus and babies are the same things even if they are of the same species.

Didn't make that claim either. A six pound baby is NOT the same person (or thing) as the 320 pound linebacker he grew into. However, I don't see anybody advocating killing the baby in order to keep him from winning the super bowl for them. After all, that linebacker USED To BE that tiny baby (well, within a pound or two...) But that is precisely what women who have abortions for their convenience are doing. Killing that entity so that it WON't become a baby.

When we use "human life" we mean the life of a human being not the biological process in and on itself or the classification of a certain mammal.

Who is this 'we' you are referring to?

The problem is that what you seem to want is to create an envirionment where a woman would have to be informed by her doctor that an abortion will "kill a human life" which, while not technically incorrect, is severely disinengious. It's technically correct because yes a zygote or fetus of human origin is as the name implied of human origin and represent the first steps in the development of a human being and it's made of living organic tissue. Yet, the vocabulary used framed it under a philosophical and ethical statement for which a medical doctor or nurse cannot provide any expertise. Plus, it's rather stupid to mention it. Everybody knows that by definition an abortion will prevent a bay from being born and thus that the fetus or zygote will die in the process. Are you claiming that women who request abortion don't know that or are you requiring them to hear your "sales pitch" before htey proceed? In that case, should they hear my "sales pitch" for fareness?

Absolutely they should listen to your 'sales pitch' as well. That's what INFORMED CONSENT is, after all. One can't do that if one only is allowed to hear the propaganda of one side.[/QUOTE]

epronovost

Are you advocating dissimulation...lying...to her and pretending that all she's doing is getting rid of a mouse in her cupboard?

No, I'm advocating that we should tell women who consider abortions how they are done. I don't think we need to tell them it will prevent a child from being born because that's pretty much what abortions are made for. No women ever went into an abortion clinic thinking that her pregnancy was going to be interrupted without killing something in the process and that this something, with some luck and time would have become a child that's precisely what they are there for.

What I'm opposed to is saying to women that what they are going to kill is a child or a baby or a human being because that's not just true. What they will kill might become one such thing with some luck (there is still chances for miscarriage and stillbirth afterall and about 20% of all known pregancies end in a miscarriage), but at the moment of the abortion it's definitely no such thing. It's preventing a human life from being born certainly and it's doing it by killing a fetus or a zygote, but it's not killing a child. In the same vein we could say that abstaining from sex altogether is going to prevent a human being from being born and abstaining from sex will result in the death of many, many human cells that could have become so many unique children. Of course nobody cares about dead sperm or ovules as we only care about human being or complex sentient life in general.

dianaiad

No, I'm advocating that we should tell women who consider abortions how they are done. I don't think we need to tell them it will prevent a child from being born because that's pretty much what abortions are made for. No women ever went into an abortion clinic thinking that her pregnancy was going to be interrupted without killing something in the process and that this something, with some luck and time would have become a child that's precisely what they are there for.

You think so?

that's not true, you know. Women are pressured every way possible, and if there is one thing that IS absolutely true, it is that the 'pro-choice' people spend a LOT of time arguing that the embryo/fetus/conceptus whatever is not really human (you made that argument) and not a 'person' because of some reason or another having to do with the stage of development it's at...lack of brain function yet, lack of heart beat, not 'quickened' yet, not breathing....all sorts of reasons to assure the woman that she's not really killing a HUMAN, so it's OK.

As I have said many times, there are times when abortion is necessary. that decision must be made with a clear understanding, in her own heart and mind, of what she is doing.

You seem to be advocating that only one side of the issue be presented to her.....as if you are afraid that if she really IS given all the viewpoints, that she might not be politically correct and decide to have the abortion. Your next paragraph proves this.

What I'm opposed to is saying to women that what they are going to kill is a child or a baby or a human being because that's not just true.

Who says so, YOU? You don't get to decide whether that fetus has those rights. the culture and the law does, and whether this little being gets any is what is the debate is about. Claiming that it's OK to abort a pregnancy for the sake of convenience is OK because it's not a human being is really begging the question.

Which is, in case you haven't been paying attention, whether that fetus SHOULD have certain rights.

To argue that it should not because it does not is exactly the same argument as saying that slaves shouldn't be counted as whole human beings because they weren't counted as whole human beings. There is no, I repeat, NO, medical or scientific reason to withold the right to attempt to live from that fetus; it's a purely cultural and legal question.

And those decisions get changed all the time. After all, changing things was what Roe V Wade was all about, wasn't it?

What they will kill might become one such thing with some luck (there is still chances for miscarriage and stillbirth afterall and about 20% of all known pregancies end in a miscarriage), but at the moment of the abortion it's definitely no such thing.

Gotcha. So, for you it's perfectly OK to shoot all the runners in the race to keep them from crossing the finish line, and your reasoning is because some of 'em won't cross it for other reasons, then it's just fine to add one more reason? You know, broken legs, cramps, other things--so if some of 'em won't finish the marathon, it's fine for you to shoot the rest of 'em?

It's preventing a human life from being born certainly

Bingo.

and it's doing it by killing a fetus or a zygote, but it's not killing a child.

I never argued that it was 'killing a child." but just so you understand, killing a child isn't the same thing as killing an adult, for PRECISELY the same reason. either way you are killing a human individual...just at different stages of its development.

In the same vein we could say that abstaining from sex altogether is going to prevent a human being from being born and abstaining from sex will result in the death of many, many human cells that could have become so many unique children. Of course nobody cares about dead sperm or ovules as we only care about human being or complex sentient life in general.

Moving the goal posts. Birth control (especially abstinence) is a far better choice here.

epronovost

that's not true, you know. Women are pressured every way possible, and if there is one thing that IS absolutely true, it is that the 'pro-choice' people spend a LOT of time arguing that the embryo/fetus/conceptus whatever is not really human (you made that argument) and not a 'person' because of some reason or another having to do with the stage of development it's at...lack of brain function yet, lack of heart beat, not 'quickened' yet, not breathing....all sorts of reasons to assure the woman that she's not really killing a HUMAN, so it's OK.

Wait, wait, wait. I'm confused now. Earlier you said that you never referred to a fetus or a zyote as a human person, but now you seem to implying that it it. So, I'll ask again for sake of clarity. Is a fetus or a zygote a human being, a person in your opinion? We have both agreed earlier that nobody gives a **** about life as biochemical process or DNA and animal lives in general. We kill them at our conveniance all the time. What we do care about are persons. We would consider murder the death of a non-human that meets the characterisitcs of persons too should we ever find one.

I would also like to point out that while there is no medical opposition to declare a human fetus as of human origin and living, there is no consencus on the status of personhood of the fetus. What is medically certain is that a fetus or a zygote don't display all the characteristics and abilties of a baby who are universally recognised as persons. This isn't even a medical question anyway it's more of a philosophical one.

Who says so, YOU? You don't get to decide whether that fetus has those rights. the culture and the law does, and whether this little being gets any is what is the debate is about. Claiming that it's OK to abort a pregnancy for the sake of convenience is OK because it's not a human being is really begging the question.

Not really, it's not begging the question because I can provide arguments to defend such a stance based on several fields from philosophy, to law, passing by medecine and biology. My arguments are aslo logically consistent, provide a universal framework by which I can assess general moral questions as well as a system that orient my entire relationship and value assesment of all forms of life in an objective way. Would you like to hear them? I haven't presented them yet, only alluded to them yet. I find them pretty good because they limit my "fiat values" and rely on commonly accepted philosophical moral schools.

otcha. So, for you it's perfectly OK to shoot all the runners in the race to keep them from crossing the finish line, and your reasoning is because some of 'em won't cross it for other reasons, then it's just fine to add one more reason? You know, broken legs, cramps, other things--so if some of 'em won't finish the marathon, it's fine for you to shoot the rest of 'em?

Are you drunk or am I so impossible to read? What sort of strawman is this? How is this related to abortion anyway.

All that I was saying is that some fetus and zygote to survive to become human person naturally and thus that abortion aren't the only thing that can prevent a fetus or a zygote to become a person. I don't think abortions are wrong because I don't think they are harming any human being provided they are the choice of a pregnant woman. I don't know for sure why you believe abortions are wrong (except when its to save a woman's life). I suspect it's because you think zygotes or fetus are persons or you don't consider personhood as being important when it comes to human individual rights.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

I believe that was my point. Being pressured one way or the other is coercion. There ARE times when abortion is the appropriate thing to do....and my point in this thread is that full and complete understanding of what precisely she is about to do is fundamental to the 'free choice' thing.
Ahh but the source I posted was a medical journal, not a philosophy blog. You said, specifically, to find just one medical professional that would not agree that a zygote is alive. You even dared me to do so. I took you up on that challenge and found a medical professional who did not agree that a zygote is alive. It was actually one of the first things that popped up after a quick google search. I don’t know that I agree with that particular person, but I can understand the reasoning.
A zygote is a stage of human development sure. But is it human or is it a potential human? You claimed it can’t be anything other than a human. I claim that it has the potential to become a human, given that it’s a stage of human development.
I could be very mean spirited and claim that according to cold hard scientific fact, that you’re technically wrong on it being anything other than a human. It is a human but also has other scientific classifications, such as great ape. But that would be pedantic and unfair.
Science is important for giving us cold hard information. And sure these cold hard and fast facts should be told to women who wish to make a decision on their pregnancy.
No agendas, no politics. Just a doctor being honest with their patient. But saying it’s ending a life is a little bit emotionally charged and I think a little disingenuous. That’s very veiled pro life rhetoric. Maybe you didn’t mean to take a stance and wanted to remain neutral. I get that. But telling a pregnant woman that she’s ending a human or life or what have you is taking a stance. Scientifically speaking she’s actually stopping at a specific stage of the reproduction cycle. “Human” doesn’t really come up insofar as a pregnant woman is going to be automatically aware that she’s not stopping a mule from developing in her womb, so it’s moot at best. Abortion shouldn’t be treated flippantly and I admire your passion for the subject. But I don’t know if a scientist/doctor/nurse would be as willing as you would be to tell a pregnant woman that her zygote is human. It’s more like a technicality at that stage of reproduction.

I didn't give any 'pro-life' information. In fact, I went to some trouble only to post neutral to 'pro-choice' stuff.
Maybe you meant it to come across that way. But saying things like, well a zygote is obviously not a duck it’s a human, is kind of pro life-y. It’s emotional language and actually not language you would find even in a high school classroom.
Since I chose to do science in High School, I of course, had to do biology for a couple semesters. And you know, when it got to reproduction, my teacher never once uttered the word “human” in relation to any stage of pregnancy. It was always in cold hard and fast scientific terms. Embryo, Zygote, fetus etc.
That’s neutrality. No words used that have the potential to be emotionally laden, even if unintentional.

Last edited:

dianaiad

Wait, wait, wait. I'm confused now. Earlier you said that you never referred to a fetus or a zyote as a human person,

I didn't. I was very careful not to do so. It is you who got the two things ("human" and "person") confused, and you are still doing it. That's the argument the pro-choice folks are making, as well....confusing 'human" with 'human being." as if the two are the same. They aren't. [/quote]
I would also like to point out that while there is no medical opposition to declare a human fetus as of human origin and living, there is no consencus on the status of personhood of the fetus.

No there isn't, and there shouldn't be. "Personhood' is assigned by culture and the law...and can be changed according to cultural whim. this is not so with science.

What is medically certain is that a fetus or a zygote don't display all the characteristics and abilties of a baby who are universally recognised as persons. This isn't even a medical question anyway it's more of a philosophical one.

Nor am I claiming that they should be given all the rights of a human adult. You don't let an infant drive. You don't allow an eight year old to sign contracts.

But those rights are assigned, and change entirely according to the culture around it. They aren't set in stone. They are written in paper and in minds.. Writing can be changed and so can minds.

However, I honestly do not see any reasonable line where the right to attempt to live is there one instant and not there the previous one. There is no scientific or medical point. YOu are correct; it is a philosophical thing. Philosophies change...and some really need to BE changed.

Not really, it's not begging the question because I can provide arguments to defend such a stance based on several fields from philosophy, to law, passing by medecine and biology.

Fine. Make them. You could change minds. So could I.

My objection here is to the obvious idea here being promoted that while the folks on your side are perfectly free to make those arguments to women contemplating abortion, that somehow opposing viewpoints are not to be allowed.

epronovost

Fine. Make them. You could change minds. So could I.

The basis of my argument, to make a long story short, is that I believe human lives are worth a level of protection that other forms of life don't and that inert matter or non living chemical reaction basically deserve no special protection in and on themselves. To arrive to this position though, I have to explain why human lives should be worth more protection than animal or plant lives, why life itself should be valued and what's a human in the first place. I consider that life in and on itself has value only due to some of its characteristics namely sensitivity, will and bonding capacity. This is what make life valuable to my eyes. Life forms who cannot display sensitivity, will or any capacity to bond with others (or more specifically us humans) aren't worth special protection or protection at all.

I consider sensitivity as not only the capacity to perceive one's environment, but also to have emotions in that context. The richer the emotion, the closest and more easily undertandable to that of other humans it is, the more valuable a life form becomes. Will, in that context, is the capacity of a life form to have desires, needs and act upon them. It can also include the ability to think, reflect, dream, predict things ,etc. The more developped the will, the more similar it is to that of other humans, the more valuable a life form becomes. Finally, the least important, as a human, we are gregarious by nature. The capacity of life to bond to socialise becomes paramount for our survival and happiness. The more closely knit we are with a life form the more value and protection it deserves.

Humans, even babies and the most mentally handicap people, have the capacity to display and have emotions and at least one working sense to explore their environment. Even the youngest babies or mentally ill person have a will and can express it. Every single human being can bond with other humans, in fact nothing can bond with another human as well and as profoundly as another human being. In that respect babies and children might even be more skilled in that domain than adults thus all the more valuable and deserving of protection.

It's impossible to deny the sensitivity, will and bonding abilities of humans and it's impossible to deny that humans' sensitivity, will and bonding abilities is different than that of other animal and that no matter how different from one another we are, we are closer to each other than other life forms. Thus human lives must be protected above all other life forms, but also other life forms with a will, sensitivity and a capacity to bond with us also deserve some protection albeit lower.

Human fetus and zygotes while being technically human and life forms have yet to develop the characteristics that makes life valuable. A fetus doesn't have any form of sensitivity to speak off until the 16th week of gestation. It doesn't have a will until the 26th and cannot bond with other humans until birth. Thus, fetus and zygotes, at least until the 16th week of pregnancy have nothing worth protecting. The only thing they have going for them is the fact that they will become human being provided the pregnancy is successful. This gives them some value in and on themselves, but not nearly enough to force harm on a woman to insure their survival. I will not condone the pain and suffering of another human being for the purpose of protecting a life form that cannot feel pain or suffering at all even if that life form could one day feel pain and suffering. I am not harming it in its current form, but I can harm a woman in her current form.

dianaiad

The basis of my argument, to make a long story short, is that I believe human lives are worth a level of protection that other forms of life don't and that inert matter or non living chemical reaction basically deserve no special protection in and on themselves. To arrive to this position though, I have to explain why human lives should be worth more protection than animal or plant lives, why life itself should be valued and what's a human in the first place. I consider that life in and on itself has value only due to some of its characteristics namely sensitivity, will and bonding capacity. This is what make life valuable to my eyes. Life forms who cannot display sensitivity, will or any capacity to bond with others (or more specifically us humans) aren't worth special protection or protection at all.

I consider sensitivity as not only the capacity to perceive one's environment, but also to have emotions in that context. The richer the emotion, the closest and more easily undertandable to that of other humans it is, the more valuable a life form becomes. Will, in that context, is the capacity of a life form to have desires, needs and act upon them. It can also include the ability to think, reflect, dream, predict things ,etc. The more developped the will, the more similar it is to that of other humans, the more valuable a life form becomes. Finally, the least important, as a human, we are gregarious by nature. The capacity of life to bond to socialise becomes paramount for our survival and happiness. The more closely knit we are with a life form the more value and protection it deserves.

Humans, even babies and the most mentally handicap people, have the capacity to display and have emotions and at least one working sense to explore their environment. Even the youngest babies or mentally ill person have a will and can express it. Every single human being can bond with other humans, in fact nothing can bond with another human as well and as profoundly as another human being. In that respect babies and children might even be more skilled in that domain than adults thus all the more valuable and deserving of protection.

It's impossible to deny the sensitivity, will and bonding abilities of humans and it's impossible to deny that humans' sensitivity, will and bonding abilities is different than that of other animal and that no matter how different from one another we are, we are closer to each other than other life forms. Thus human lives must be protected above all other life forms, but also other life forms with a will, sensitivity and a capacity to bond with us also deserve some protection albeit lower.

Human fetus and zygotes while being technically human and life forms have yet to develop the characteristics that makes life valuable. A fetus doesn't have any form of sensitivity to speak off until the 16th week of gestation. It doesn't have a will until the 26th and cannot bond with other humans until birth. Thus, fetus and zygotes, at least until the 16th week of pregnancy have nothing worth protecting. The only thing they have going for them is the fact that they will become human being provided the pregnancy is successful. This gives them some value in and on themselves, but not nearly enough to force harm on a woman to insure their survival. I will not condone the pain and suffering of another human being for the purpose of protecting a life form that cannot feel pain or suffering at all even if that life form could one day feel pain and suffering. I am not harming it in its current form, but I can harm a woman in her current form.

You have made your argument. I disagree with it on the following grounds:

We do not condone actions taken against any human when those actions are taken for the express purpose of preventing that human from developing even possible, not guaranteed, qualities. That is, if someone kills a promising professional sports recruit in order to keep him/her from becoming a champion because if s/he does, it would inconvenient the killer.

We absolutely abhor the idea of someone who...say...kills a baby in order to keep it from possibly inheriting a fortune someday. We do not see as logical the idea that, if one sees a group of people in the Nile after having escaped the sinking of their ferry, that this makes it permissible to shoot all the survivors lest any of 'em escape the crocodiles and make it to shore.

We do not see as logical the idea that killing a human in order to prevent development is ethical or moral...UNLESS we are talking about unborn human lives. Then the argument is 'OK, but this fetus hasn't the proper level of development YET, so even though the only thing that will prevent this living thing from REACHING that level of development is death. You are, in effect, punishing these foeti for actually succeeding.

there are rules for dealing with other human beings who are human beings even in your definition: self defense is a principle one. Self preservation: there is a phenomenon that is mentioned among search and rescue personnel. There's a victim who has fallen in ice covered river. He's difficult to get to...so much so that everybody who tries, drowns. Tie the rescuers together, and the first one in line actually drags the rest to death with him. The same sort of thing happens when climbers are tied together, and the last one or two falls....the choice is to allow those two victims to pull everybody else into the crevasse with them, or to cut the rope and, by losing the fallen two, save the rest. When the decision is...abort the baby or both the baby and the mother die, the choice is hard, but obvious.

.....and has NOTHING to do with whether the fetus is 'a person' or not.

The comparison is made between the brain dead adult who is deemed to be 'not alive' and a fetus. the problem here is that there is little to no chance that a brain dead human being will regain brain function....and an embryo WILL get brain function UNLESS it dies first. there's no 'maybe' about it; it becomes a newborn, progressing through the stages of growth to adulthood. Whatever level of brain function this individual may have, it WILL have some...or die.

What you are advocating is that, unlike the normal human ethical ideas about what's acceptable, it IS acceptable to kill in order to PREVENT the development of the desired physical characteristic, and excusing it by saying that it doesn't have that characteristic YET.

Very circular, and very disingenuous, reasoning in my opinion.

But this thread is about whether a woman should be allowed to make her own decisions; to have 'informed consent,' and the opposition seems to be advocating that no...she shouldn't. The only point of view she should be allowed to hear is that of those who agree with you about this issue.

I have no problem with this POV being given her. However, I think she should also have the opposite side given her. Let HER decide.

It's all we can do until the culture/law comes to a different opinion about this issue. I just hope that it does so before too many MORE babies are denied the chance for life because their mothers think that they are no more than the rat in the corner; easy gotten, easily disposed of, no problem.

......and there is NO EXCUSE for as many abortions as occur. None. Birth control, properly used, would prevent almost all of them. It would certainly prevent those which are sought because of inconvenience.