• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Inevitability of Life, scope of possibilities

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A) the infinite matrix of endless possibilities exists.

B) a narrow bandwidth of possibilities exists. In which case existence is simpler.

C) an long range of possibilities exists. Ranging from inevitable to lotterial.

D) there is only one possible way the universe can unfold.

E) something else that goes overlooked.

Where does possibility lie with regards to life being inevitable?

And where does possibility lie with regards to human life inevitability?

Perhaps you would have to know 100% of the universe, and another part of the multiverse to estimate the possibility of life existing.

Is there any good information on possibility and life inevitability?

siti

I don't have any idea what you mean by "possibility" but the probability that an event that has happened will happen is exactly 1. And that is about all that can meaningfully be said about the probability of life - not that it really means anything.

Neutral Name

A) the infinite matrix of endless possibilities exists.

B) a narrow bandwidth of possibilities exists. In which case existence is simpler.

C) an long range of possibilities exists. Ranging from inevitable to lotterial.

D) there is only one possible way the universe can unfold.

E) something else that goes overlooked.

Where does possibility lie with regards to life being inevitable?

And where does possibility lie with regards to human life inevitability?

Perhaps you would have to know 100% of the universe, and another part of the multiverse to estimate the possibility of life existing.

Is there any good information on possibility and life inevitability?

To me, it is God and physics will end up proving God. I think that it took God to create life, although, we can do so in labs today. I don't know any other way that things could go from atoms to molecules to chemicals to life. Statistically, what are the odds that this could accidentally happen an lead to something as intricate as life today? I'm sure that some scientifically minded people have a different opinion but I would like to hear what that opinion is.

osgart

I don't have any idea what you mean by "possibility" but the probability that an event that has happened will happen is exactly 1. And that is about all that can meaningfully be said about the probability of life - not that it really means anything.

Possibility would be the potential for things to otherwise happen from what did happen if.

Especially given a set of facts about the universe.

Audie

Veteran Member
To me, it is God and physics will end up proving God. I think that it took God to create life, although, we can do so in labs today. I don't know any other way that things could go from atoms to molecules to chemicals to life. Statistically, what are the odds that this could accidentally happen an lead to something as intricate as life today? I'm sure that some scientifically minded people have a different opinion but I would like to hear what that opinion is.

Of course you do not know of any other way.
You are not a biochemist, for a start.
When you can define with great precision
the boundary-if there is one,which seems
unlikely-between living and non living,
AND identify why this "boundary" cannot
be crossed without magic, then you will
have something!
Talk of stats and accidents is meaningless.

Here is a possibly helpful observation re
how chemistry works. You cannot grab
ions and stick them together like legos.

What you can do is set up the conditions
under which they will do it on their own.
Strike a match. It will handle the details.

Also, with regard to the reactions of chemicals
under a variety of conditions-anything that
can happen, does happen.

All of the chemical reactions in life as we know
it certainly can happen, and, of course, do.

To say that the conditions for the earliest proto-
life could not have existed, or that even if they
did, life could still not start is really not reasonable.

HonestJoe

To me, it is God and physics will end up proving God. I think that it took God to create life, although, we can do so in labs today. I don't know any other way that things could go from atoms to molecules to chemicals to life.
You don’t know of any way. “God” isn’t a way for that to happen any more than Allah, Zeus, Magic Space Pixies or the Great and Powerful Oz would be. Unless we ever see that mystical day when “physics proves God”, you still have literally nothing but wishful thinking.

Statistically, what are the odds that this could accidentally happen an lead to something as intricate as life today?
Less than zero (notwithstanding the misuse of the word “accidentally” :) ). Note that the odds will be pretty much the same whether it involves the existence of some kind of deity as part of that process or not.

I'm sure that some scientifically minded people have a different opinion but I would like to hear what that opinion is.
The scientific opinion is that we don’t know all the answers. That’s because our scientific knowledge is inevitably limited. The darkness of our ignorance is understandably frightening which is why some people invented the metaphorical night-lights that are gods. :cool:

siti

Possibility would be the potential for things to otherwise happen from what did happen if.

Especially given a set of facts about the universe.
I'm still not following. Given the set of known facts about the universe, the possibility of life emerging is a given - it has a probability of 1. The possibility of life not emerging doesn't exist because life has emerged - the probability of life not emerging is zero - i.e. it is impossible. I just don't see how anybody can say any more or less than that about either the "possibility" or "inevitability" of life. It just is... isn't it?

osgart

I'm still not following. Given the set of known facts about the universe, the possibility of life emerging is a given - it has a probability of 1. The possibility of life not emerging doesn't exist because life has emerged - the probability of life not emerging is zero - i.e. it is impossible. I just don't see how anybody can say any more or less than that about either the "possibility" or "inevitability" of life. It just is... isn't it?

It could be that it just simply is for no reason. But there are a lot of people that would never be satisfied with that as an explanation. They'd keep digging deeper!

siti

It could be that it just simply is for no reason. But there are a lot of people that would never be satisfied with that as an explanation. They'd keep digging deeper!
Digging deeper to elucidate the 'cause' is fine - trying to find meaning in probability for an event that has already happened is a lost 'cause'.