• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Incorruptibility of Saints

I don't mean to step on anybody's toes here, but I have a bit of a controversial topic I'd like to discuss with some actual Orthodox believers (I'm not Orthodox myself, and I'm in a region that has almost no Orthodox).

I recently took a Russian History class where I read and wrote an essay on Robert Greene's dissertation "Bodies Like Bright Stars." In it he discusses the role of saints and relics in Tsarist Russia and the exhumation movement of the Bolsheviks.

One thing that I found particularly troubling was that the "incorruptible" saints mostly turned out to just be rotten or, even worse, fakes, presumably manufactured by the monks themselves.

As Orthodox believers, how do you all deal with this issue? I had some interest in Orthodox religion before, but the scale of the corruption seems to be so great that I'm really put off of it now.