• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The inauguration poem: Your thoughts

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I thought this a rather apt description and fair critisism. The poem just slides off your mind, finding no purchase.
That reminds me of a much better line, from Ethan Coen's Raising Arizona: "Her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase" [describing infertility] Great movie, that one.

Troublemane

It was, IMO, dull. Maybe thats the way the ideal of america has become, just a dumbed-down version of itself. The poets, like the people, like the entire system itself, has been inherited by a bunch of morons, all full of themselves, who do nothing but slap each other on their backs for their brilliance, when they are far from it. In fact the only reason they are considered brilliant at all, is they have either crushed all originality and creativity through fear, or through medication. And this has left them at the top of the heap by default.

Thats all. :D

lunamoth

Will to love
It was, IMO, dull. Maybe thats the way the ideal of america has become, just a dumbed-down version of itself. The poets, like the people, like the entire system itself, has been inherited by a bunch of morons, all full of themselves, who do nothing but slap each other on their backs for their brilliance, when they are far from it. In fact the only reason they are considered brilliant at all, is they have either crushed all originality and creativity through fear, or through medication. And this has left them at the top of the heap by default.

Thats all. :D

Wow, that certainly is depressing!

Like Autod., I thought there was a certain expression of nobility and hopefullness in all the daily acts, some heroic, some mundane.

But it was not the most exciting or moving poem I've ever read.