• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The inauguration poem: Your thoughts

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

Hehe. I know the feeling, like "He who is without sin, cast the first stone!"

Though, I would like to see your kitten-killing poetry... :D
At the risk of causing even more damage, here's one that I posted on RF (there's another one someplace in the Poetry forum too). Hide your kittens!

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I liked it. Kind of reminded by of Whitman.

Whitmans.jpg

Poetry is like a box of chocolates . . .

lunamoth

Will to love
doppelgänger;1407218 said:
Yes. They do it with chocolates and bad poetry. Perhaps Alexander was just demonstrating one of those other ways to skin a cat . . . hmmm . . . .

It's very important to practice safe poetry-writing as well as safe chocolate consumption.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I thought it was lovely.

lunamoth said:
I liked it. Kind of reminded by of Whitman.

I am very glad to hear that it was able to touch some people. It is neat how a poem can be so meaningful for one person, and hold nothing for another.

Was there something in particular that you liked?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Interesting. I knew it was toxic to dogs, but not cats too. Learn something new everyday.
Strangely enough, this was just on Quirks and Quarks recently. Apparently, it's even more toxic to cats than to dogs, but cats tend to be pickier about what they eat, so it's extremely rare for them to get sick from it.

But remember, chocolates don't kill kittens, people do.
And eagles. Eagles kill kittens.

Back to the poem: sitting down and reading it now, I think it's all right. Coming right after Obama's speech, though, it didn't work as well.

It was like the Toronto SARS concert when AC/DC just blew the crowd away and then the Rolling Stones went on right after. In any other situation, I'd be like "okay! The Stones! Woo!" but after hearing Back in Black and Thunderstruck live, it was more like "meh... the Stones. Yeah, might as well watch 'em while I'm here."

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I liked it a lot. For me it invoked the nobility of ordinary people, both in the little actions we do every day that keep the world going, and in the times when we risk our lives, and that all of this goes together to make history, such as this day. That the inauguration is not only day of ceremony and fame, but of each of us doing our bit to keep the whole thing together, to make days like this possible. She alludes briefly, rather than describing at length. Kind of a list poem. I like the simple rhythm, and use of ordinary words.

"Ancestors on our tongues" I thought this alluded to that we all get our way of speaking from the people who raised us, who got it from the people who raised them, etc. So every time we talk, we echo and honor our ancestors.

"Darning a uniform," I don't know, but I thought if you were a soldier and your uniform was torn, and you're overseas, might you need to darn it? Anyway to me it was an example of a heroic person, such as a soldier, doing an ordinary, necessary, mending action--that's noble in a different way.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Darning a uniform," I don't know, but I thought if you were a soldier and your uniform was torn, and you're overseas, might you need to darn it? Anyway to me it was an example of a heroic person, such as a soldier, doing an ordinary, necessary, mending action--that's noble in a different way.
I didn't automatically think "soldier's uniform" when I heard that. I think it works just as well if you think of the "uniform" as mechanic's overalls or a bus driver's jacket.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The least the poet could have done is make it rhyme. It was BORING... Shockingly boringly bad poem.
While I agree it was a shockingly, boringly (is that a word?) bad poem, it doesn't necessarily have to rhyme. In my own attempts at poetry, I rely heavily upon a rhyme to give me structure... it is a tool or a crutch. It sometimes can embellish a poem, but more often than not, it constrains it. I admire those who can write poetry without the need for rhyme, thus letting their thoughts run a little bit more free.

9-10ths_Penguin said:
Back to the poem: sitting down and reading it now, I think it's all right. Coming right after Obama's speech, though, it didn't work as well.
I thought this was a rather mature, fair assessment.

(Personally, however, my feeling that it was an unsavory poem only deepened with time and reflection...)

Autodidact said:
I liked it a lot. For me it invoked the nobility of ordinary people, both in the little actions we do every day that keep the world going, and in the times when we risk our lives, and that all of this goes together to make history, such as this day. That the inauguration is not only day of ceremony and fame, but of each of us doing our bit to keep the whole thing together, to make days like this possible. She alludes briefly, rather than describing at length. Kind of a list poem. I like the simple rhythm, and use of ordinary words.
Thank you for this assessment. It's nice to see the other side of the coin.

Autodidact said:

Again, nice assessment.

But, it follows right after "stitching up a hem". Why does sewing receive such notice and honor? The whole list (up to the teacher) just seems to be a throw back to an earlier time. She really couldn't think of some other actions that people do on a regualar basis in modern society that deserve mention?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Two thoughts:
(1) It might be (I don't know this poet) that she likes to incorporate traditionally female activities and (2) there's a theme of small repairs that keep things together.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I got bored after the 3rd line, and started to scroll down the first page instead.

Then I had to go back up because I didn't take it in anyway, so I needed to read it again.

Then I found myself at the bottom of the OP trying to remember what thread I was about to reply to...

I think that says alot about the poem, that I read and took in more of the poem from reading Falvlun's first criticisms, than from reading the poem itself.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Ok... I've just tested it.

Not ALL poetry goes well with chocolate.

In fact, the flavour of the chocolate can deteriorate, depending on the quality of the poem.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I got bored after the 3rd line, and started to scroll down the first page instead.

Then I had to go back up because I didn't take it in anyway, so I needed to read it again.
I thought this a rather apt description and fair critisism. The poem just slides off your mind, finding no purchase.