• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The impossible picture

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The first ever photograph of black hole was published on Space.com yesterday

jTVzX3HFWeZTNJJVtLESbU-1200-80.jpg

Historic 1st Photo of a Black Hole Named Science Breakthrough of 2019 | Space

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It looks delicious.. Captivating even... Like a glazed doughnut glowing with potential (energy).

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That can happen with zoom lenses when the subject is over 53 million light years away and black on a black background
What I don't understand is why there's a dark spot in the middle of the picture. Wouldn't a black hole be at the center of a sphere of the glowy stuff, completely surrounded by it?
How could anybody take a picture that includes a black hole?

Oh well. I suppose I'll just take the same answer I got from my religious teachers decades ago. "It's a mystery, son."
Tom

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What I don't understand is why there's a dark spot in the middle of the picture. Wouldn't a black hole be at the center of a sphere of the glowy stuff, completely surrounded by it?

Oh well. I suppose I'll just take the same answer I got from my religious teachers decades ago. "It's a mystery, son."
Tom
You can get a lot more information from this article:

"Eureka! Black Hole Photographed for 1st Time | Space

What I found rather amazing in the article is that it was faster to transfer the data by putting it on a truck and driving it rather than sending it over the internet:

"There's no way that we can transfer this data through the internet," EHT project scientist Dimitrios Psaltis, an astronomy professor at the University of Arizona, said at the SXSW event. "So, what we actually do is, we take our hard drives and we FedEx them from place to place. This is much faster than any cable that you can ever find."

They were working with petabits of data. My desktop has a capacity of a terabyte. Think of the date from one thousand full desktops being shipped across the country. UPS for the win!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Tom

Think Saturn, the black hole spins, the accretion disk is dragged out along the rotation.

Bob the Unbeliever

So. Why call it a "black hole" and not just a "hole"? ;)

Anyone who thinks astrophysicists lack a sense of humor? Should study the names of properties of quantum-level particles.

I've seen references to a "white hole" but only in literature, and I have no idea what that could be.

Cool photograph.

They were working with petabits of data. My desktop has a capacity of a terabyte. Think of the date from one thousand full desktops being shipped across the country. UPS for the win!

"petabits". That's a number that is impossible to really get a grasp of, in the normal sense of the word. Staggering, really-- but still? Smaller than the number of visible (telescope-visible) stars in the Universe...

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Eye of Sauron...

I can handle a lot of the incredible ideas and discoveries about our universe. There is just no way I can fathom black holes! Even though they are a now proven fact? What the heck goes on in a black hole and what comes out the other side? Black holes rock. Just picture our earth when it eventually gets sucked in. Space and the universe are so totally amazing.