• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The importance of Prayer, Meditation and Devotional Attitude

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To a buddhist the meditation is the tool to highten inner wisdom and silene the mind :) Without the meditation it would be very difficult to obtain enlightenment

PruePhillip

To a buddhist the meditation is the tool to highten inner wisdom and silene the mind :) Without the meditation it would be very difficult to obtain enlightenment

There's all sorts of enlightenments. The major one which effected the entire
Western world was the Enlightenment which began in the late 17th Century.
Beyond that I am in the dark, so to speak. Being enlightened in anything of
this world, or my own mind, doesn't appeal to me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As a buddhist i speak always about spiritual answer. The spitual answer to enlightenment within buddhism is to see why there is suffering in the physical world.
But people do enlighten to different things yes.

Shantanu

Since the subject of this forum is "Prayers and Meditations" I decided to share an online compilation of "The importance of Prayer, Meditation and the Devotional Attitude" compiled by the Research Dept. of the Universal House of Justice in July 1990. The excerpts are from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, the Writings of the Bab and Abdul-Baha:

The Importance of Prayer, Meditation and the Devotional Attitude | Bahá’í Reference Library
As an advaitist Hindu, I believe that God is all Consciousness and dharma is eternal so that when we transcend our gunas (genetic attributes) to be at one with the Consciousness dharma manifests itself and we attain all our objectives in the material sphere, so there is no need to pray.

PruePhillip

As a buddhist i speak always about spiritual answer. The spitual answer to enlightenment within buddhism is to see why there is suffering in the physical world.
But people do enlighten to different things yes.

I come from a Christian perspective. It acknowledges there is physical
suffering in the world (and bore the brunt of it in New Testament times)
but that is not considered to be of consequence. As Paul put it to the
Romans, "the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be
compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
We don't really know a lot about Paul's own suffering. He alluded to
something he called but a pebble in his shoe, but was obviously a big
deal.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I come from a Christian perspective. It acknowledges there is physical
suffering in the world (and bore the brunt of it in New Testament times)
but that is not considered to be of consequence. As Paul put it to the
Romans, "the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be
compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
We don't really know a lot about Paul's own suffering. He alluded to
something he called but a pebble in his shoe, but was obviously a big
deal.
About the pebble in his shoe. The cause of his suffering was the pebble reove the pebble and sufferings go away. in other form of suffering, remove the cause of the suffering and suffering goes away :)
There is always a cause for suffering and solution is always, remove the cause

PruePhillip

About the pebble in his shoe. The cause of his suffering was the pebble reove the pebble and sufferings go away. in other form of suffering, remove the cause of the suffering and suffering goes away :)
There is always a cause for suffering and solution is always, remove the cause

We don't know the cause of Paul's suffering (other than being hated by his
own countrymen and martyred by Nero.) Paul saw it as something which
came from God, to the effect of changing his life.
Paul was in no position to "remove the suffering" of rejection - it was there
forever. He was in no position to dictate to Nero, nor was he in a position
to get God to remove suffering (though he asked God, and was refused.)
God made it clear, REMOVE THE SUFFERING AND YOU REMOVE THE
LESSON OF THE SUFFERING.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
this is a form of enlightenment

2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

those people were in this world and were enlightened. you might want to rethink your premise?

better yet here is another form of enlightenment:

Matthew 17:2
And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

another instance

Luke 3:22
And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
meditation is good but without the call, prayer, there can be no answer.

so if the mind doesn't ask, it receives no answer. if the mind doesn't search, it does not discover. if the mind doesn't knock against the bounderies, the mind doesn't open up to the unconditional.

best wishes in your never ending journey

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
meditation is good but without the call, prayer, there can be no answer.

so if the mind doesn't ask, it receives no answer. if the mind doesn't search, it does not discover. if the mind doesn't knock against the bounderies, the mind doesn't open up to the unconditional.

best wishes in your never ending journey
:)
The dhamma is the answer, The study is the journey and the meditation is the tool needed to open the wisdom of the dhamma/answer :)
Who should i pray to? Buddha said when he left the physical world we would not be able to contact him, but he left the dhamma to be our guidance. But the one who must do the work to gain wisdom is me :)

The answer is within me, and the dhamma is the key to open me up :)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
:)
The dhamma is the answer, The study is the journey and the meditation is the tool needed to open the wisdom of the dhamma/answer :)
Who should i pray to? Buddha said when he left the physical world we would not be able to contact him, but he left the dhamma to be our guidance. But the one who must do the work to gain wisdom is me :)

The answer is within me, and the dhamma is the key to open me up :)
prayer, asking, doesn't require a person. it just requires a question. an answer is the result of a question.

pray | Origin and meaning of pray by Online Etymology Dictionary

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
inquiring minds who want to know
same as in Meditation :) the silent mind find the answer, a cluttered mind can not find answer.
No need for a giver when the answer is right in front of us, but as long mind is not silent( calm) no answer is seen

When we take away everything that clutter the mind, all there is left is a silent mind that observe

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
same as in Meditation :) the silent mind find the answer, a cluttered mind can not find answer.
No need for a giver when the answer is right in front of us, but as long mind is not silent( calm) no answer is seen

When we take away everything that clutter the mind, all there is left is a silent mind that observe
so you already implied that an answer is to be given without inquiry? isn't that kind of like watching television until we see enough advertisements that one of them entices us to buy into?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
so you already implied that an answer is to be given without inquiry? isn't that kind of like watching television until we see enough advertisements that one of them entices us to buy into?
No need to give the answer, because the answer is already given, it is only for the meditator to see it and understand it. The clue is the mind :)

Its like internet, you just need to download the answer when you find the right file to download

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Personally, I find recitation of particular prayers repeatedly can take the heart and sincerity out of it, as it becomes way too rote. It's like a jingle going over and over in your head. So when I want to get more feeling, more sincerity, I think it out specifically, time and place, who, what actions, and more. For the mystical Hindu, it's a form of communication with inner beings.

arthra

Baha'i
There's a few verses in the Kitab-I-Aqdas that I've found helpful:

"Pride not yourselves on much reading of the verses
or on a multitude of pious acts by night and day; for
were a man to read a single verse with joy and radiance 74
it would be better for him than to read with lassitude
all the Holy Books of God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.
Read ye the sacred verses in such measure
that ye be not overcome by languor and despondency.
Lay not upon your souls that which will weary them
and weigh them down, but rather what will lighten
and uplift them, so that they may soar on the wings of
the Divine verses towards the Dawning-place of His
manifest signs; this will draw you nearer to God, did ye
but comprehend."

~ Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 73