• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Importance of Humility?

I'm not sure whether humility needs to be classified especially as 'intellectual' since humility is all about a frame of mind......... no particular level of intellect required.

They are 2 completely different things imo.

Accepting a degree of epistemic uncertainty doesn't require someone to be humble in general. They could be just the opposite without any contradiction.

Unlike in the modern West, personal humility was rarely considered a virtue in the ancient world. Epistemic uncertainty was still a thing though.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
They are 2 completely different things imo.

Accepting a degree of epistemic uncertainty doesn't require someone to be humble in general. They could be just the opposite without any contradiction.
OK.....

Unlike in the modern West, personal humility was rarely considered a virtue in the ancient world. Epistemic uncertainty was still a thing though.
I don't see much humility in the modern West around where I live.
Young people strut their stuff, dress to impress (in their own way), must wear the right brands, etc etc.

The 'Anybody who is anybody' is seen here, goes there, wears this, has that is fairly strong.

And the older generations, Oh Hell! They think that they can run countries, lead sports teams better, and on, and on.

I saw a perfect example of humility on telly last week. The toughest women in America compete with each other to decide which one of eight can attempt to complete the most dreadful commando course devised. These women are mostly massively built, have extreme physiques through extreme lifestyles, and each one claims she is the best of the best.

But last week a comparatively slim and genteel lady in the challenge introduced herself as a 'Stay-at-home-Mum'. The other women snubbed her. She won the chance to take on the final challenge by beating the lot, and then finished the commando course in the best time ever.

When she heard that she had the best finish time ever she jumped for joy and hugged the huge brute that runs the program until even he melted under her charm.

Yep..... I don't see much humility out there, of any kind. :)