1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The implications of reality being a simulation

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Eddi, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Salvador

Salvador RF's Swedenborgian

Ratings:
    +1,194
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    A conscious mind plugged the right way into a powerful enough computer could possibly experience a simulated reality.

Also, some robots have self-awareness, now who is to say they could never possess "consciousness".

#41 Salvador, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. Nous

Nous Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,213
    I'll watch your video later. Did you look up the study to learn what hypothesis was tested, how it was tested, and what conclusion was drawn?

What machine or computer program did the researchers test for the presence of experiences or volitional ability?

BTW, there are objective differences between voluntary acts and involuntary bodily movements. There is no reason to pretend that we can't determine the difference between them.

3. Salvador

Salvador RF's Swedenborgian

Ratings:
    +1,194
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    Sorry, that video I'd posted my mistake.

4. Nous

Nous Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,213
    OK, thanks for letting me know.

5. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,863
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    In theory, @Eddi a creative mind could take your question virtually anywhere it chose. The point is moot.

6. Eddi

Eddi Mark 5:9

Ratings:
    +288
    Religion:
    Christian
    I see where you're coming from and have taken in what you've said.

I think the question could be posed so as not to be open ended, for instance by making it a "good" or "bad" affair, by phrasing it:

Would it be good or bad for humankind if significant numbers of people were to believe we are living in a simulation?

- which could be answered either "good" or "bad". This could be accompanied by key reasons. If people were to do this (as people already have) then it would be possible to compare the reasons people gave to either "good" or "bad", so as to identify issues and so increase our understanding of the problem. This would stop us being lumped with an unhelpful multitude of wildly different answers.​

7. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +587
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    Say we're in a Matrix--this Matrix is one where there is an ongoing demand for moral accountability. Christianity still makes sense.

8. allfoak

allfoak Alchemist

Ratings:
    +1,620
    Religion:
    My Life
    The simulation is organic.
    Governed by a biofeedback mechanism many like to call karma.
    The All is mind.

9. Eddi

Eddi Mark 5:9

Ratings:
    +288
    Religion:
    Christian
    What do you think the human implications would be if this was believed by a significant number of people?

10. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian
    Yeah. It makes zero difference.

11. leroy

leroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Religion:
    christian
    Would there be a significant difference? Whether if we are made out of atoms or digital code shouldn´t change the fact that we will still try to live a good moral and happy life.

Perhaps the first generations would become crazy because of this novel idea, but in long term things would be similar regardless if we are physical or digital

12. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,386
    Religion:
    None
    The implications of reality being a simulation

Contradiction

Reality : the state of things as they actually exist,

Simulation : imitation of a situation or process.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian
    Related to this topic: Does Math Exist Independent of Our Minds?

If numbers exist outside of any simulation then they exist independent of our minds, too. Also, if they exist independent of our minds then it is likely they exist outside of any simulation.

14. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Religion:
    No Religion. I Sense The Higher Power.
    If it were a computer generated universe, then this is not base reality. And a civilization far more advanced then humanity would have superintelligence technology well beyond ever humanity could do. You would see evidence of that in nature.

The universe could be a natural computer with its own built in memory banks for all anybody knows.

Outside of James Gates calculations from super symmetry, how would you give evidence that the universe is a computational machine?

Super symmetry still is not a proven theory, and has very little in the way of testability from what i have read. Still that the math that jives qm with relativity must hold some truth to it and that it produces error correction codes must mean something. That is an astounding calculation.

The motives for building a universe such as ours would be to harvest and exploit it for its resources.

My conviction is that natural intelligence exists and that intelligence produces life alive through evolution.

15. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,115
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    How do you know that computer simulations can't act willfully -- or simulate willful acts?
    Twenty years ago no-one would believe computers could do what they routinely do today.

The OP link basically said that because we don't currently have the IT capacity to create a simulated universe, it's doubtful one exists.
    Human technology is a long series of 'impossible' achievements.
    So you assume we've achieved the apogee of computer technology; that future amazing breakthroughs are impossible? This reminds me of the famous -- if apocryphal -- statement by the commissioner of the patent office, Charles Duell, ca. 1900: "Everything that can be invented has been invented."
    Proponents point out that the 'reality' we currently perceive is illusory; that it doesn't correlate with known physics. Doesn't this leaves open the possibility of a simulation?
    No need to speculate. Many Hindus and Buddhists believe exactly this. They haven't all gone mad.
    Nothing like this has been proven. What has been pretty well established is that our perception of reality is faulty. This leaves open the possibility of alternative realities -- including simulations.
    Actually we're talking about Albert Einstein, Neils Bohr, Erwin Schrödinger, Werner Heisenberg, &al.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,115
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    We'd all be Hindus?

17. Nous

Nous Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,213
    I don't know what "simulate willful acts" means. But computer programs do not begin acting autonomously, such as in their own best interest. They continue following their program until something malfunctions.

18. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,115
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    A car that brakes itself when a collision appears imminent is simulating a willful, self-protective act.

19. Koldo

Koldo Incredible Member

Ratings:
    +1,248

I don't see why people would be reincarnated if we were in a simulation. Why do you think that would be the case ?

I don't know about that. We are all humans and we can all become poor but even being aware of that doesn't eliminate social discriminations.

20. Koldo

Koldo Incredible Member

Ratings:
    +1,248
    The funny part is that we can't be absolutely certain that someone else is having experiences or acting willfully. Not even if they are fellow human beings.
    We just assume that to be case because of the similarities between ourselves. However, there is no test that could be performed to exclude the possibility of someone else being a philosophical zombie. "What a strange world we live in...".